Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

start_today

History of White Tape

Just before the HOF inductions this year, someone (Scott Gomez maybe?) mentioned that Lindros was the first player he saw use white tape. 

Is that right? Have skaters only been using white tape since the early 90s?

I looked at some internet pictures, and saw a goalie here or there before that with white, but no players. But, maybe I was just looking at the wrong pictures. 

Thoughts?

I'm sure there were rare exceptions, but at least in my experience in New England it was pretty much all black tape until the mid 90's. Black friction tape was the standard. Sticks were heavier so the weight difference was negligible and the belief was friction tape helped protect the wooden blade better than cloth tape.

Do a quick google search for hockey sticks from the 1960s and you'll see at least some players used white tape even back then.  

Mr Hockey says No.

10389226.jpg?size=640x420

So does Gilbert Perreault

gilbert_perreault_1970_10_01.jpg

My guess is before the days of the NHLPA teams made everyone use black tape, because they said so. But just a thought.

1 minute ago, IPv6Freely said:

I can't fathom why somebody would use gaffers tape on a hockey stick.

... because it is a cloth tape similar to renfrew, but without goo mess when you take it off.

On 12/1/2016 at 1:17 PM, Davideo said:

I'm sure there were rare exceptions, but at least in my experience in New England it was pretty much all black tape until the mid 90's. Black friction tape was the standard. Sticks were heavier so the weight difference was negligible and the belief was friction tape helped protect the wooden blade better than cloth tape.

I always had used friction tape for the control factor. I'd still be using it if it didn't turn to absolute crap that wouldn't stick to a blade some 15 years ago. Now it is cloth and wax for me.

1 hour ago, IPv6Freely said:

I can't fathom why somebody would use gaffers tape on a hockey stick.

25 minutes ago, sectachrome said:

Gaff tape seems like it would be too slippery/plasticy. I dont know what that has to do with this post though.

... perhaps what you think the Gaffer tape is and what I think it is are not the same thing. I am talking about tightly woven cotton cotton tape with repositionable yet strong  adhesive. This tape is used in entertainment industry for a number of purposes from taping temporary cables to the floor to marking spots on the floor for talent placement. It has no plastic in it. 

25 minutes ago, Kgbeast said:

... perhaps what you think the Gaffer tape is and what I think it is are not the same thing. I am talking about tightly woven cotton cotton tape with repositionable yet strong  adhesive. This tape is used in entertainment industry for a number of purposes from taping temporary cables to the floor to marking spots on the floor for talent placement. It has no plastic in it. 

Yeah, I know what gaff tape is for. Granted its been a while since I've used it, but it seems like it would have less friction than regular hockey tape not to mention being way more expensive. But again, I dont know what this has to do with the history or white colored tape in hockey.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I remember reading somewhere that the reason the Blackhawks use white cloth tape on their shins is because thats what they used back in the day.  I don't get how they can use cloth tape, and if they aren't using cloth are they using white shin tape?

2 hours ago, strosedefence34 said:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I remember reading somewhere that the reason the Blackhawks use white cloth tape on their shins is because thats what they used back in the day.  I don't get how they can use cloth tape, and if they aren't using cloth are they using white shin tape?

With Blackhawks you can always see that the tape is solid white (at least at the knee) as apposed to more common translucent kind. Do not know if it is cloth or not, but it is white. On the picks above, it looks everyone has white (probably cloth) tape on. On  Perreaul pick, it looks like he uses the same tape for pads and for the stick.

58 minutes ago, Kgbeast said:

With Blackhawks you can always see that the tape is solid white (at least at the knee) as apposed to more common translucent kind. Do not know if it is cloth or not, but it is white. On the picks above, it looks everyone has white (probably cloth) tape on. On  Perreaul pick, it looks like he uses the same tape for pads and for the stick.

Some of the guys use clear (ex. hjalmarsson) and some use none at all (ex. Kane), it's player preference, it's just that many prefer the cloth (white).

As for gaffers tape, it's def too slick for a hockey stick, I use it all the time as a photographer and there wouldn't be much of a benefit at all.  If you have issues with the adhesive from cloth tape then maybe it's been on there too long?  I re-tape every couple of times out (unless it's really ripped in which case I re-tape as needed) and it comes off without much leftover residue at all.

I bought a massive roll of it to use like two strips for my proton pack because that's "screen accurate". I have no idea what to do with the rest. If somebody is going to use it on their stick for whatever reason it's all theirs :P

15 hours ago, Kgbeast said:

14 hours ago, xstartxtodayx said:

Some of the guys use clear (ex. hjalmarsson) and some use none at all (ex. Kane), it's player preference, it's just that many prefer the cloth (white).

As for gaffers tape, it's def too slick for a hockey stick, I use it all the time as a photographer and there wouldn't be much of a benefit at all.  If you have issues with the adhesive from cloth tape then maybe it's been on there too long?  I re-tape every couple of times out (unless it's really ripped in which case I re-tape as needed) and it comes off without much leftover residue at all.

Yeah I know its defiantly white, but if you look at Jonathan Toews he uses white with the Blackhawks and with Team Canada he used clear.  Its just interesting.

Game with the Blackhawks white tape on the shins

chicago-illinois-usa-06th-mar-2016-black

Game with Team Canada clear tape on the shins

9329f02d025cbe870d443f2eb66bec86_zpsrcoc

On 12/3/2016 at 6:48 AM, strosedefence34 said:

Yeah I know its defiantly white, but if you look at Jonathan Toews he uses white with the Blackhawks and with Team Canada he used clear.  Its just interesting.

Game with the Blackhawks white tape on the shins

chicago-illinois-usa-06th-mar-2016-black

Game with Team Canada clear tape on the shins

9329f02d025cbe870d443f2eb66bec86_zpsrcoc

I saw a couple pics on Getty images where you can see some hawks players who clearly have regular clear tape and then white tape over top of that. Must be part of the uniform for some reason.

In his case I'd guess that white tape on the Canada socks would make it look like an extra stripe. Not that it doesn't on the Hawks socks I guess, but they already have stripes so it's a bit less weird.

I honestly don't get why everyone (on pro teams at least) doesn't use clear. Why alter the look of the uniform for no reason?

4 hours ago, IPv6Freely said:

In his case I'd guess that white tape on the Canada socks would make it look like an extra stripe. Not that it doesn't on the Hawks socks I guess, but they already have stripes so it's a bit less weird.

I honestly don't get why everyone (on pro teams at least) doesn't use clear. Why alter the look of the uniform for no reason?

I once joked to my brother that Chara was so tall that his socks had an extra stripe.

Zdeno+Chara+Buffalo+Sabres+v+Boston+Brui

3 hours ago, Larry54 said:

I once joked to my brother that Chara was so tall that his socks had an extra stripe.

Zdeno+Chara+Buffalo+Sabres+v+Boston+Brui

I've always thought he should add a strip of white just to really make it look that way.

My limited understanding is back in the day (60's-70's) that Forwards used Black and Defensemen used White, varied with Goalies.

I've never liked Black Myself...My Son seems to also like the White Tape.  I really like the Ice Warehouse White with Black Print Tape.  On the Ice it comes off as a Hockey Camo (IMO).