Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Lookey2000

Helmet for wide head?

I have a pretty wide head, but it isn't that long. I currently have a Bauer 7500 but at the end of any game or practice the sides of my head hurt a lot. What helmet would you guys recommend for a wider head like mine? I prefer CCM as a brand but will do any really.

I had the same problem. Pressure on the sides of my head, above the ears. 

I was in a CCM v10, tried on a warrior Krown and liked it and was going to buy it until I tried a Bauer dealt. So that's what I'm in now.

I didn't think it could get better, but the new CCM resistance helmets are by far the most comfortable helmet I've ever tried on. If I still skated out, I'd have one. Since I don't, i just can't justify it.

• Like 1

I have a really wide head and have really struggled finding a helmet that fits. I currently wear a Reebok 4k which works well, but I just tried on the CCM 3DS which was freaking amazing. I tried all the other cheaper CCM ones and none worked, but the 3DS was THE most comfortable helmet I have ever tried.  Downside , one of the most expensive ones out there.

• Like 1

Ditto on the wide head. I went with a Warrior Krown. It's adjustable in all four directions. No more headaches during or after games. I think at least one other brand has a helmet that can adjust in all directions, but I don't recall which.

I seem to remember that CCM helmets were narrower. Did they change this? I have a wider head so I was in a 5500 for the longest time. Now I use a RE-AKT 100 and it fits fine.

Edited by GoalForFun

Not a very long head, but it is on the wider side, no other helmet has ever fit me so well like the RE-Akt / RE-Akt 100. I was size L/XL in everything I wore previously, but a M in those two, with still plenty of space for expansion. 

i got a wide and short head if that makes any sense. the ccm resistance (higher end ones) are definitely the best fitting wide helmets out there. i know a few guys on my team that have wide heads and the warrior krown works great for them but  i found the ccm a better fit. your mileage may vary. 

3 hours ago, GoalForFun said:

I seem to remember that CCM helmets were narrower. Did they change this? I have a wider head so I was in a 5500 for the longest time. Now I use a RE-AKT 100 and it fits fine.

ccm-fitlite-resistance-fit-comparison-ch

They smartly vary with the model.  

I have what I consider a small oval head. I wear small fitted hats and historically small bauer helmets   But the medium resistance fit me the best.   The small wasn't deep enough.  

• Like 2

In motorcycle helmets terminology (oval, intermediate oval, and narrow), I have an intermediate oval to narrow head, which is kind of not a wide head. Wide would be oval.

The CCM Resistance fits me perfectly- not sure if it is just a super comfy helmet, or if it is an intermediate oval to narrow fit.

Similar head shape, currently in Bauer IMS 7.0 (formerly Cascade M11), which is no longer made, but you might find one on clearance somewhere.  Its "replacement", the Reakt 75, seems to fit narrower.  You might be able to make do with the IMS 11.0.  Also have tried on Krown, which also seemed to fit well without pinching the temples.

Reakt is the widest helmet I've ever had. I am L/XL in RBK 8K, IMS 9.0, Resistance 100, But a M reakt fits me perfect.

Note: Reakt's temple pad is far thinner than other helmets.

Go on Ebay and get a Jofa 390 helmet. I have a large head, and this is the best fitting helmet I've ever had. Also good is the Reebok 7K from a couple years ago, I wear that one as well.

I have a big and wide head and i have always had issues with helmets, not just in hockey. I'm currently in a Bauer Re-Akt 100 and it fits like a dream. No pressure or pain. Basically don't feel that i'm wearing it. 

I regularly try new helmets on from other brands, as I would prefer another brand, but i have never found another helmet that fits like the Re-Akt 100. 

Hopefully you will find a helmet that fits your head. Nothing worse than an ill-fitting helmet.

Thanks guys for your comments, i had the problem with the pressure on the temples, and i was struggling to find the right fit until i got the Bauer re-akt.

i also recommend the bauer ims 11.0, and the re-akt 100 (not the re-akt 75)

Hey guys, reviving an old topic instead of creating a new one. What're some of the current wider fitting helmets?

I previously wore the original Bauer Re-Akt, am in a IMS 7.0 now, and want to look at a new helmet.

10 hours ago, salibandy said:

Hey guys, reviving an old topic instead of creating a new one. What're some of the current wider fitting helmets?

I previously wore the original Bauer Re-Akt, am in a IMS 7.0 now, and want to look at a new helmet.

I'm still fine in IMS 7.0, but for new I'd be looking at Reakt 150 for my Stewie head.

12 hours ago, titan1234 said:

I'm still fine in IMS 7.0, but for new I'd be looking at Reakt 150 for my Stewie head.

Re-Akt 150, hands down are the best helmets for those with weird-shaped or very wide heads.

On 1/19/2021 at 4:07 AM, getthekidthepuck said:

I wear almost an 8 hat. The only helmet that fit me and didnt look really bulky was an XL 4500. I have a brand new if your interested.

The 4500 has been the most narrow helmet I have ever tried! How did you manage to fit in it without a headache?

On 1/20/2021 at 3:12 AM, SkateWorksPNW said:

Re-Akt 150, hands down are the best helmets for those with weird-shaped or very wide heads.

On 1/19/2021 at 2:24 PM, titan1234 said:

Thanks guys! I'll look into those as well.