Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

tpedersen3118

Hollows

1 hour ago, hockeydad3 said:

Yesterday I went down to 1/2 ROH because the bite of the 5/8 ROH is too weak for my new project "learning forward crossover". For my normal skating the 1/2 ROH is way too deep in case of stopping, gliding, agility and catching an edge. But for the crossover-drills I was afraid of falling because I didn't have enough bite to trust my edges with the 5/8 ROH. Changing the runners took less than 10 minutes and I definitely had a more secure feeling doing my exercises.

Maybe try 9/16? It falls between the two and might be a good option while learning and working your way back to 

16 minutes ago, tpedersen3118 said:

Maybe try 9/16? It falls between the two and might be a good option while learning and working your way back to 

Well would be nice but i'm on T-Blades.

There are no options between. But T-Blades are giving me options to change the hollow at all. Sharpening services around are only offering "standard".

16 hours ago, icewalker_bg said:

You also have to hope that the 12yo at your LHS does a good job while chatting with his buddy, yes it is that bad to get a decent sharpening around here (MTL), or at least I dont know where to go in my area

For what its worth, Im around 173cm / 80-85kg. Anything under 5/8 I have trouble stopping, if we may call it skidding as stated above, I lose speed (a lot of speed) and and my quads get fatigued and start burning.  Something sharper has advantages too, like easier one leg stopping, edges last longer and turning is ''tighter'', but for me I prefer to stick to shallower hollows.  

If you're in the east end of Montreal, I'd recommend ICI Sport on Jean-Talon just east of Lacordaire. I've been going there for over a year and am very very satisfied. Before that I used to go see Jean Roy or his son at the pro shop at Aréna Fleury. They are also excellent but much further from where I live, and their hours are irregular so you have to call Jean on his cell phone to know when someone will be in.

All the way west, closer to On. boarder. 

PIAS on St-Charles is 50/50, so is the hockey experts in the area. The only decent shop in the area closed permanently (Frasers)

1 hour ago, icewalker_bg said:

All the way west, closer to On. boarder. 

PIAS on St-Charles is 50/50, so is the hockey experts in the area. The only decent shop in the area closed permanently (Frasers)

Seymours Skate Lab in Kirkland

22 hours ago, hockeydad3 said:

Well would be nice but i'm on T-Blades.

There are no options between. But T-Blades are giving me options to change the hollow at all. Sharpening services around are only offering "standard".

where in germany are you ?  ..maybe i can help you !

On 5.3.2017 at 0:25 PM, x-track said:

where in germany are you ?  ..maybe i can help you !

I'm living in munich,

but I'm on T-Blades at the moment and I like my new skates. I'm an absolute beginner and i don't want to change a winning team (I did my first crossovers this afternoon ;-)).