Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Hey guys. I'm a middle aged dude slowly but surely getting fatter and fatter, and I'm looking into buying a damn nice pair of skates that will hopefully last me for quite a long time.

Problem is, the bone in the middle of my foot sticks up quite a bit and every skate I've tried on with decent tongue protection annoys the holy b-jesus out of it. 

Another issue is that I live in Japan, which means selection at the only local hockey shop is limited at best. I've tried on the Bauer Supreme 180s and they feel great except for that damn bone in the middle of the top of my foot! I'd like to try the 190s as well and I'd be confident ordering them if and only if I could punch a dent in the tongue of the skate like I've done before for the ankle. 

Has anyone done this before? Did it work? 

It might be easier to build up the tongue around the bone, leaving more space in the middle for your bone. It sounds like what people use a Forsberg pad for, but usually to spare the tendons from the strain of lifting the tongue when flexing forward. Even if it's a lower area in your case, it should still work the same. Just add material, such as more felt or some foam to the sides of the tongue, leaving the middle open, and it should sit around the bone rather than on it.

You have a number of options. As flip12 said, a forsberg pad might be your best bet. Simple and easy to do but you have to either glue / stitch it to the tongue or tape it to your foot for each skate. I can't see any reason why you couldn't punch the tongue if you can get a supporting shape for the tongue to work the punch on. Finding someone who can do it would be another issue unless you build one yourself. Another alternative would be to get the tongue replaced, go for a traditional felt tongue and lace around the bone (or use option B lace straps) so there is no direct pressure on the bone. 

Thanks guys! I've made donuts out of stock shoe insoles before to keep my ankles from blistering (slip inside sock and voila! No blisters) so I'll try something like that first and then go for building up the tongue. You've just saved me a big headache and maybe a couple hundred dollars!

10 minutes ago, BenderHockey said:

I've read this entire thread, and not one mention of her fart box?? Apparently I had a different kind of tongue punching in mind. 

Bleh... Beat me to it.  

Yeah...when I googled it, urban dictionary came up first. But again, I live in japan so I'm not exposed to your youthful terms. That and I'm old. 

Now get off my lawn!:rolleyes: