Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

AdamCV

Switching Holders LS Edge to LS2

Hi there,

I am skating in the Nexus 8000 with the LS Edge holders and LS3 steel. 

I am having an issue with what feels like flex in the holder and steel. I think this is from the extra height as I have never had this issue before.

I have no need to change steel all the time and was only on the second set from my One95s that were worn out.

How much of a problem is it to go back to LS2. The holes should line up correct?

Thanks for the help

*JR beat me to it*----If you think the problem is from the extra height of the LS3 steel then go with the LS2 Edge steel and skip the holder replacement. I'm sure someone else will chime in to comment on the holder itself.  

I think the problem is the extra height in general. When I go to turn it feels like everything is flexing under my feet.

I am a bigger guy and just think being lower to ice would be more beneficial as well for balance

A number of edge holders have had an issue with holding the steel. A simple test is when you put the steel in the clamp for a sharpen and the boot flops downwards. 

On 12/8/2016 at 3:20 PM, Vet88 said:

A number of edge holders have had an issue with holding the steel. A simple test is when you put the steel in the clamp for a sharpen and the boot flops downwards. 

You'd have to explain that a bit better.  Not sure what you mean "boot flops downward".

Some Edge steel gets loose in the channel and moves around in the holder.

I don't think there has been an exact reason for it; some of the ones I see seem to have thinner steel, and almost all of them, the skate is pretty beat up and the holder's saggy.

12 hours ago, 218hockey said:

You'd have to explain that a bit better.  Not sure what you mean "boot flops downward".

Here is a pic with a boot in the clamp. See how straight the blade, holder and boot are, everything is in a level horizontal line. When the blade is loose instead of the holder and boot sticking straight out from the clamp, the holder and boot sag downwards and it is very noticeable.

Skate-Sharpening-at-Johnstons-358x200.jp

Okay. With this design there are moving parts. So therefore, wear?

We've loved ours so far. With 2-3 games a week, three practices, and an hour of treadmill, plus open time, multiple sets of runners are a necessity. And I love anything that saves me time too.

But I can see how there is a bit of flex. A loss of rigidity due to the additional parts that need to link together.  My son's only 75 pounds but I've wondered about this flex with powerful 200 pound guy.

I don't know if it's a recent batch or our LHS is selling old stock skates but recently have seen a lot of newish skates (under 6 months old) with edge holders and the blades (LS3 and LS4) are either clicking and or loose  with a sideways motion (this is the majority) in the holder, there are certainly more issues at the moment with edge holders than any other holder that I see. I'm going to try some copper shims cut to the shape of the blade to take out the slack. Long term I don't know if the holder will continue to open up, not a good design if it does.

I think I've read somewhere on here that some have had success with running a piece of teflon tape down the spine of the runner prior to inserting it in the holder. The tape takes up any slack and tightens up the fit. 

I tried that and the blade has begun to sag again. Looking for a longer term fix and an alternate to replacing the holder.

I've been experiencing something similar recently, but I'm wondering if it is holder flex OR the rivits are loose as it is only in one skate. How do you diagnose the problem?