Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Cosmic

Training Pucks/ Balls

I am looking for training pucks or balls, with a nice soft, noise dampening foam outer shell; but also a solid inner core to give some weight. 

Presently, I have a wood Swedish stick handling ball, and a SMART stick handling ball, a Green Biscuit shooter. When I shoot in my shooting range (in a spare room in my home), they just make too much noise when they smash into this foam sleep cushion that I have hanging over a large board. I do not want to irritate the neighbors, so I need something with a softer outer shell, but I also do not want to feel like I am shooting feathers. Whether it is a puck or a ball is not really a consideration. I just want to get my muscle memory correct as I transition to using a new curve (going from X88 to X28).

I have a nice hard floor that I am shooting off of- some sort of tile, and I tape my sticks with white tape so I do not need to worry about scuffing or damaging the floor from my stick. I will also be using a stick weight, so if the ball or puck is a bit lighter than regulation, then this is fine.

If anyone knows of something that is not a hockey related training tool, then this is all good too.

Maybe an inline puck? I imagine it would be less noisy but it's definitely lighter than an ice puck. There are foam pucks too. Again, would be much lighter but might still be fine for just working on shot mechanics.

There's this thing too: http://www.hockeymonkey.com/accessories/accessories-puck/training-hockey-pucks/ar-hockey-accessories-hockey-puck-foam-bumpers.html

What about replacing the board with a canvas wrapped frame?  You can buy heavy muslin or duck fabric at a fabric store.  Just build a 2x4 frame and wrap the canvas loosely .  It should be soft enough to dampen any noise but sturdy enough to last.  You could even paint targets on it.

There is a company that makes a puck, it's about a half dollar size of regular puck rubber surrounded by softer rubber and controls like a hard puck yet soft. We use it during our outdoor hockey tournement where a hard puck doesnt cut it because we don't where protective equipment. Sorry, I don't know the nameof the compny.

I've got a similar problem with noise. Here's how I tried to addressed things. First I shoot into a heavy moving blanket I got from UPS for $10. I don't know what it's made from, but it feels like heavy wool. I hung it over an old cloths rack and weighed down the bottom. As mentioned above, you could try a tarp too.

As for the pucks themselves, I found stick handling made just as much noise as shooting. Best solution I could come up with was to slip a heavy wool sock around my blade and the same with the puck. Yeah, it changes the feel a bit, but it was only way to deaden the sound. 

Otherwise, I use foam pucks.

I find this works good enough. But I only use my practice area to supplement my ice time. I have relatively easy access to ice.