Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
markush

Hollow used by Connor McDavid

On 1/17/2017 at 6:01 PM, IPv6Freely said:

Call his equipment manager. 

Try getting in contact with the EQM from the Bakersfield Condors. He was sent down there during the all-star break to workout (couldn't play because he was too young) but you might get lucky.

And after his fastest skater lap in the Oilers' comp, we can see where his speed comes from. He skates like Mike Gartner straightaway,  but has his own crossover style.

Interesting to note, for maximum straightaway speed, it's just the simple forward stride and no "linear-crossovers." He does use the crossovers differently than others and credits them especially in the interview afterward, but he's still fast in straightaways and even to the first corner where he's only had one initial crossover.

Another great fastest skater performance from McD. He beat Gartner's record and didn't even need Larkin's head start. I was impressed how quickly he got started to that first corner in the prelims. He's definitely fast and he zips out of curves using his crossovers but his straightaway speed is right at the top.

On 1/1/2017 at 7:52 AM, oldtrainerguy28 said:

Cole is on Step Steel. 

As for that Marlies team with Hosang and McDavid its funny about the story because it's so true. However in the final game of tge OHL cup McDavid was told he was falling because his blades were so low. I offered to switch them and match the profile.  Josh said he should. But the captain said it would be bad luck. So he left them just sharpened. He fell on a break away to tie the game and his team lost in the finals. Since then he has always had fresh steel. Profiled and sharp. 

Clown

• Like 1

A little off topic but if you play in a non contact league wouldn't you be better off with a shallow hollow, 3/4 etc?  Or as shallow as you can make it?

Edited by Beflar

2 hours ago, start_today said:

Why would playing in a no-checking / checking  league make a difference in radius hollow?

It shouldn't. Though I can sort of understand how some people playing maybe in lower level hockey leagues would be more interested in coasting/gliding and less concerned with agility; hard start/stops.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, start_today said:

Why would playing in a no-checking / checking  league make a difference in radius hollow?

I don’t mean that as a sarcastic answer, legit question.

Small sample size before the lock down but when I dropped my sharpen to 3/4 from 5/8 I seemed to have a harder time pushing people.  They seemed to be able to push and move me more.  It felt like I couldn't dig in the ice as well to push a heavy guy etc. 

I love the glide and would never go back but like I said very small sample size.

I use to wear a mirrored visor so take what a say with a grain of salt.

Edited by Beflar
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Beflar said:

Small sample size before the lock down but when I dropped my sharpen to 3/4 from 5/8 I seemed to have a harder time pushing people.  They seemed to be able to push and move me more.  It felt like I couldn't dig in the ice as well to push a heavy guy etc. 

I love the glide and would never go back but like I said very small sample size.

I use to wear a mirrored visor so take what a say with a grain of salt.

I skate on 7/8" when using standard width steel and 1 5/8" on Flare and have no issues moving people. You just have to use more force to dig your edge into the ice. The depth of the hollow doesn't really change how much leverage/force you can generate, it just requires you to push harder into the ice. If you use a flatter hollow don't push harder into the ice you will sit on top of the ice instead of sinking in.

• Like 1

It's all about finding the most shallow hollow that allows you to control your edges and maximize glide.  Using too deep a hollow requires more energy to push off, leading to quicker muscle fatigue. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1