Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Jrmy_1

Old ultra tacks - what replacement steel to buy

I got a set of old ultra tacks from a friend and the runners are trashed.  Not sure what year they are or what steel to use for replacement, if they even make anything for them anymore, holder has 1979 on it but not she if that is production date or not.  They are size 9.5.  Want to have my oldest boy use them as he's never skated before.  I'll attach some pics when I figure out how...lol.

J

https://m.flickr.com/photos/jeremy_pelt/31176221883/

I'm about as far from expert as one can get, but from memory, those look like something from the early '80s. Heck the boot looks like it belongs on old metal tube runners. 

I'd wager that trying to find steel for those is probably more trouble than it's worth. Someone correct me if I'm wrong but new steel usually costs between $50-$100. If that's the case, it might be better to try and find a used pair of modern skates. You can probably find a pair for like $50. 

These skates have showed up in this forum before, but I doubt you can find steel for them. Look like the they have enough steel to try these skates on. You can clean them up a bit, sharpen. It should be enough to figure out what you want to do with them.

Hit the rusty area of the  steel with a  green scotch brite pad to get the bulk of the corrosion off and flat grind/sharpen.  If he seems to like skating you may want to invest in a decent pair of more modern used skates. 

Thanks for the input!  I'll clean em up and see if I can get a decent edge put on them as y'all suggest, if he likes them get new used ones...If not, I guess I saved some cash.  Thx for the recommendations all!