Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

misfitmomof2

Helmet with Face Guard for 2 Year Old????

Newbie hockey mom here. My 5 year old just started hockey and we have a rink in the backyard (he has been figure skating awhile now). My 2 year old is learning to skate so she can follow her brother around and is succeeding in that. She is wearing a bike helmet now but my son wants to practice with his stick/pucks on the ice and I think the 2 year old needs a face guard. Any idea on what helmet we can try? We tried the Bauer Lit Sport but it was too big. She is 2 years 3 months old. Thanks!

Did you try to adjust the lil sport helmet? Most helmets can go a few sizes bigger or smaller depending on adjustments. 

You're most likely not going to find a facemask or "cage" that fits a 2 year old. Technically their chin should fit flush with the chin pad on the cage. It won't for a 2 year old. Even if you find a helmet that fits, the cage will probably be too big... it's better than nothing though. 

If you're worried about her getting hit with a puck or stick, it would probably be a good idea to find a small chest protector too. Either actual hockey shoulder pads - or a shirt with a heart gaurd similar to what baseball players wear. 

The Lil Sport helmet is not adjustable. Try the Bauer Prodigy helmet/mask combo. That youth helmet is adjustable. I did fit a 4 year old for that yesterday. However, for your daughter a stocking cap may still be necessary to get the helmet/mask to fit. Of course, it might be safer to wait a few years before her brother hits her in the mouth with a slapshot. Just sayin' ..........

Not to mention a helmet and cage might be too heavy for the lil girl's head to hold up. Might have to wait til she is 3........ Or til her bro can lift the puck.   :cool:

My son has the Bauer Prodigy in the extra small so yeah, I guess I will fiddle with that and a hat under and see what might work... I planned on letting her wear it around the house (she already wears her brothers around anyhow) to build up her strength (plus she only skates for short bursts, like 15 mins at most, then breaks and she keeps going longer as her strength builds up).  My son is not hitting the puck up right now or very hard but I think that will change fast (and I will keep her off the ice when I need too) so she is OK now but she can hit her face on the boards of the rink at home (they are about 6 inches high) so it would be nice for that plus just flat out hitting her face on the ice.... Trust me, I did not expect to have a 2 year old on the ice but she has been literally crawling and then walking to it, trying to get on, since she could move...  Oy.

Thanks for the tips. I didn't realize the shoulder pads were for the heart... My son has his first lessons next week and he doesn't need full gear yet so I am still very much learning as we go.

Errant high sticks are probably more of a (perpetual) risk than the puck- RE: Son's ability to lift shots.

This will probably hold true throughout their playing careers, and is the reason why I'll never take the cage off my helmet unless someone offers me a pro contract in the near future. 

My youngest just turned 4 today, but last year at this time I had him in brothers old CCM youth helmet that I picked up for dirt at a play-it-again sports. It has worked well for both kiddos just for protecting the head and face from falls while learning to skate. The other good thing is that with small helmets like that, they are very gently used or like new. My 6 year old wears a small Warrior Krown and that also fits my now 4 year old. Very nice helmet for what I paid for it at Hockey Giant.

At a similar age we used an XS youth hockey helmet with an XS or XXS small cage. Hard to find but know cage was one size smaller than helmet so didn't buy a combo helmet. One of those thin under helmet hats for skiing sometimes helps without adding too much bulk (TurtleFur brand has a lot of kid sized options).

Enjoy! And take pictures--the time flies!

CCM FL40 Combo. Adjustable and very lightweight. My 3 year old has been wearing his for a year and no issues. Actually have to get a new one as he grew out of the XS

I had my son in a Bauer 2100 combo at around 18 months. The helmet fit him well, and still does at 3 1/2(with some adjustment, of course.) The cage didn't come anywhere near fitting his face, but would stop a puck from knocking out his teeth, or breaking his nose. The junior size helmet adjusts from 19.8"-21.6".

Thanks for all the suggestions! I will be looking at these and also trying the Lit Sport with a thin hat under. That might be the best option for now! Just in the last week, she has made huge improvements with her skating and getting quick, so I really need something ASAP. 

i got the prodigy helmet for my kid, its actually just like the IMS 5 except with a smaller cage and an extra pad at the back of the helmet. Now that he's 3 the cage is getting too small and the helmet overall doesn't look like its a great fit for his head shape, it looks a bit narrow and sits kind of high on his head.

My son has been in a Bauer 2100 Jr helmet since he was 4 (now 6).  We had a bigger cage on from another helmet, but it was really too big.  So I just installed a Prodigy cage.  Believe his helmet was replaced by the current Prodigy line.