Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Dangles83

Supplemental Hip Protection

I have been recently banging up my hips after going down following hits, etc. and I am looking to add some supplemental hip protection under my pants. I did a search this morning and came across crash pads and Demon Flex Force X D30 Shock Doctor Shockskin Lax Relaxed Fit Impact Short; has anyone had any experience with either of these? If not, any other recommendations are welcome I'm getting tired of limping after games (I use both Warrior QRL pants and Nexus). Thanks!

Howdy,

No experience with those.  I've used the Shock Doctor Ultra Shockskin Hockey Short though, for exactly the need you're talking about... I.e. extra hip protection.  

https://www.shockdoctor.com/ultra-shockskin-hockey-short

I liked it a lot for the hip protection, but wasn't impressed with the cup / jock.  Way too loose a fit for me, and I felt like I needed to adjust the cup all the time.  I ended up pulling the cup out of the Shock Doctor and just wearing a separate jock w/cup under it.

In my case I wanted velcro.  If you don't care about that, they seem to have other impact shorts that might work.  Since then I upgraded my pants to Easton Pro 15's and went back to using a Bauer Core Mesh jock short, which has internal cup straps in a more traditional setup that keeps the cup tight against my pelvis.

Mark

2 minutes ago, marka said:

Howdy,

No experience with those.  I've used the Shock Doctor Ultra Shockskin Hockey Short though, for exactly the need you're talking about... I.e. extra hip protection.  

https://www.shockdoctor.com/ultra-shockskin-hockey-short

I liked it a lot for the hip protection, but wasn't impressed with the cup / jock.  Way too loose a fit for me, and I felt like I needed to adjust the cup all the time.  I ended up pulling the cup out of the Shock Doctor and just wearing a separate jock w/cup under it.

In my case I wanted velcro.  If you don't care about that, they seem to have other impact shorts that might work.  Since then I upgraded my pants to Easton Pro 15's and went back to using a Bauer Core Mesh jock short, which has internal cup straps in a more traditional setup that keeps the cup tight against my pelvis.

Mark

Hey Mark, thanks for the input! Definitely not concerned with the cup as I already use a separate CCM jock which I love; primarily focused on hip protection. I will read up on those shorts, thanks again.

What about something like the Nike Pro Combat Padded Compression Shorts? My buddy wears them under his hockey pants and swears by them for extra hip protection.

There a versions for both basketball and football for two different intensities of padding, depending on your needs.

The Nike Pro Hyperstrong look decent, although padding on hip area doesn't "look" thick. I would have to see them in person. Thanks for the input!

I wear a pair of those shockdoctors. Protection wise, they give you a little bit more protection, but you still feel major spills and collisions. 

These might be worth check out. Padding is the D3O (same foam used by CCM in their protective).

EDIT

Broken link - NEW LINK

16 minutes ago, stick9 said:

I wear a pair of those shockdoctors. Protection wise, they give you a little bit more protection, but you still feel major spills and collisions. 

These might be worth check out. Padding is the D3O (same foam used by CCM in their protective).

Great to know, thanks! That's what I was thinking based on the pictures. The link to the specific product with the D30 you listed was broken, which exact product were you referring to? I was also looking at the Demon Flex Force X D30

The problem with most of those products is that they have the exact same gap between the coccyx pad and the hip pads that you're trying to supplement in the protection offered by your pants. To get coverage in that gap, you might have to go to padded shorts intended for motocross. I just wear tight shorts under my gear to hold two supplemental pieces of loose padding right where I need them. I've made several pairs by cutting roughly 9" diameter pieces from a padded gym mat and from padding harvested from other equipment that I don't use.

36 minutes ago, YesLanges said:

The problem with most of those products is that they have the exact same gap between the coccyx pad and the hip pads that you're trying to supplement in the protection offered by your pants. To get coverage in that gap, you might have to go to padded shorts intended for motocross. I just wear tight shorts under my gear to hold two supplemental pieces of loose padding right where I need them. I've made several pairs by cutting roughly 9" diameter pieces from a padded gym mat and from padding harvested from other equipment that I don't use.

This is probably my main gripe with the SD shorts. I was thinking about getting a new pair and having pads added to cover the gaps but I never got around to it.

The other issue is the bulk of additional pads. You want protection, but you still need to be able to move.

16 minutes ago, stick9 said:

This is probably my main gripe with the SD shorts. I was thinking about getting a new pair and having pads added to cover the gaps but I never got around to it.

The other issue is the bulk of additional pads. You want protection, but you still need to be able to move.

The Demon flex I mentioned above look like they would resolve gap, but questioning the moveability. 

1 hour ago, stick9 said:

Yeah. I have one pair of unpadded Shock Doc shorts w/cup that I use just for reffing. I took out the entire lower hip pads from an old pair of pants (including the hard plastic) and sewed them right into the shorts exactly where I want them, along with a coccyx guard. Very low profile and really not any less protective than hockey pants in that area, but a little too bulky when paired with pants over them. I'm sure there are pants that don't have that gap, but I haven't seen any; maybe some higher-end Tackla pants? Frankly, with all the other improvements in protective equipment since I last played (in between 1990 and 2014), I'm very surprised that even the high-end modern pants still haven't closed that gap.

I am going to try the Nike Pro Combat, but still doesn't "look" like the padding will be sufficient...still looking at alternatives. I am actually surprised this isn't a more common search...perhaps I am a rare breed that usually bangs hips off ice after collisions/checks

I was also looking for extra hip padding/protection after having my hip replaced.  I went with this Padded Jock Short.  I've found that this along with top of the line pants have provided me the extra protection I was looking for.  I wouldn't worry about there being gaps between the coccyx and hip on any padded short since if you get dumped, you're most likely to fall on those 2 areas.

Howdy,

4 hours ago, mojo122 said:

I was also looking for extra hip padding/protection after having my hip replaced.  I went with this Padded Jock Short.  I've found that this along with top of the line pants have provided me the extra protection I was looking for.  I wouldn't worry about there being gaps between the coccyx and hip on any padded short since if you get dumped, you're most likely to fall on those 2 areas.

How does the cup holder work?  The thing I don't like about the ShockDoctor shock-skin one I have is that the cup holder straps aren't independent from the compression short, so they don't end up holding the bottom of the cup tight against my body.

I haven't been able to find any internal photos of the Bauer compression jocks online.

Mark

14 hours ago, Dangles83 said:

I am going to try the Nike Pro Combat, but still doesn't "look" like the padding will be sufficient...still looking at alternatives. I am actually surprised this isn't a more common search...perhaps I am a rare breed that usually bangs hips off ice after collisions/checks

Have a read of this: https://www.highgroundsports.com/best-football-girdles/

If you want one of the most protective girdles then these consistently are rated up there, better than shock doctor, ua, mcdavid, nike etc.

http://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B001CSYNZW?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00

Also Amazon is great for reviews of the products and for guides on sizing.

Howdy,

5 hours ago, Vet88 said:

Have a read of this: https://www.highgroundsports.com/best-football-girdles/

If you want one of the most protective girdles then these consistently are rated up there, better than shock doctor, ua, mcdavid, nike etc.

http://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B001CSYNZW?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00

Also Amazon is great for reviews of the products and for guides on sizing.

I have the Hillbilly Impact shorts, and often wear them under regular skating pants.  They're pretty protective and I like them, but they're also reasonably bulky... Much more so than the ShockDoctor shockskin jock I have.  I'm not sure how great they'd be under hockey pants.

Mark

On January 4, 2017 at 7:27 AM, Dangles83 said:

I have been recently banging up my hips after going down following hits, etc. and I am looking to add some supplemental hip protection under my pants. I did a search this morning and came across crash pads and Demon Flex Force X D30 Shock Doctor Shockskin Lax Relaxed Fit Impact Short; has anyone had any experience with either of these? If not, any other recommendations are welcome I'm getting tired of limping after games (I use both Warrior QRL pants and Nexus). Thanks!

Maybe these?

http://www.icewarehouse.com/Labeda_Pama_71_Hockey_Protective_Jock_Sr/descpage-LP1JS.html

On 1/6/2017 at 0:13 AM, marka said:

Howdy,

How does the cup holder work?  The thing I don't like about the ShockDoctor shock-skin one I have is that the cup holder straps aren't independent from the compression short, so they don't end up holding the bottom of the cup tight against my body.

I haven't been able to find any internal photos of the Bauer compression jocks online.

Mark

The straps work okay.  Honestly I'd like to see Bauer use their LOCKJOCK system on the padded short.  The setup in that jock short is nice.

3 hours ago, mojo122 said:

The straps work okay.  Honestly I'd like to see Bauer use their LOCKJOCK system on the padded short.  The setup in that jock short is nice.

Is that the ones where the cup is on the inside of the shorts instead of the outside?

2 hours ago, IPv6Freely said:

Is that the ones where the cup is on the inside of the shorts instead of the outside?

They both have internal cups with the difference being that the LOCKJOCK holder doesn't have straps.

9 hours ago, tpedersen3118 said:

It all depends on how much more protection you want. These aren't that different to light weight roller girdles - slim, contour fitting and reasonably cool wearing but to get all of this you sacrifice what you are primarily after, protection. I use the Farrell 7600 5 pad compression shorts but like a lot of good ideas from smaller companies they are no longer in business and now you can only find them on ebay etc. 

Basic rule of thumb, if it looks slim and fitting then it's light weight protection. Forget the bs marketing hype that comes with the product, eyeball it and if it looks solid enough then it will most likely do the job you are after.