Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Dangles83

Supplemental Hip Protection

On 1/4/2017 at 10:23 AM, JoeyJ0506 said:

What about something like the Nike Pro Combat Padded Compression Shorts? My buddy wears them under his hockey pants and swears by them for extra hip protection.

There a versions for both basketball and football for two different intensities of padding, depending on your needs.

Unfortunately, these did not provide the hip protection where I needed it...returning them.

4 hours ago, Dangles83 said:

Unfortunately, these did not provide the hip protection where I needed it...returning them.

Why not cut out the padded sections and attach them to the pants? Putting them on the backside of the existing hip pads would keep them from ripping off, and you could place them right where you need them. 

I have the newer version of the SD https://www.shockdoctor.com/ultra-shockskin-compression-hockey-short-with-aircore-hard-cup

I love it. The cup is insanely light and comfortable. Ive had issues bruising my hips/ass too and have tried almost everything. I have the Bauer ones with the hip padding as well but I'm not really a fan of the cup part of them, its just two regular cup straps inside compression shorts. Much prefer the style SD uses. I tried those Hillbilly impact shorts as well. I think those would probably have fixed the issue but I just didn't like how bulky they were and having to have the extra layer. I've also cut up old shoulder pad bits and speedy stitched them onto the existing hip pads on my pants. I think all that has cut down on my problem a little but, but I still get injured there once in a while. It seems to be less severe at least when it does happen.

I ordered a pair of those Labeda Pama 71 compression shorts. They should arrive today. I'll post my initial thoughts later on...possibly even a full review for the review section.

On 1/12/2017 at 11:09 AM, stick9 said:

I ordered a pair of those Labeda Pama 71 compression shorts. They should arrive today. I'll post my initial thoughts later on...possibly even a full review for the review section.

Got mine and the coverage area is perfect. I won't use the cup, which is fine. The protection area and padding is very nice. Lightweight too. Thanks guys!

On 1/12/2017 at 8:09 AM, stick9 said:

Question for you guys that have these - are there internal leg straps for the cup?  I have a pair of Bauer compression shorts with a cup pocket, but I don't use it because without those straps the cup floats around all over the place, which is no bueno. 

16 hours ago, Giraffe14 said:

Question for you guys that have these - are there internal leg straps for the cup?  I have a pair of Bauer compression shorts with a cup pocket, but I don't use it because without those straps the cup floats around all over the place, which is no bueno. 

There are internal straps that are sewn to the shorts. Looking at the setup, I am not sure how these straps would prevent floating, but perhaps that's exactly what they do. I won't be using the cup, so I won't be able to give more details unfortunately.

17 hours ago, Giraffe14 said:

Still haven't got mine yet. I plan on using the cup (may swap it for the SD flex cup) so I'll let you know. One thing I really liked about the SD shorts was how they incorporated the cup potion.

On 1/12/2017 at 10:09 AM, stick9 said:

I'm very curious to hear about your impressions of these shorts.  I'm new to hockey and had a bad fall on my tail bone last weekend.  Fortunately I walked away without injury (my rear still hurts but no bruising); however, just a little harder of a hit and I'd be in tears and screaming for my mommy.  Long story short, I ended up ordering the Bauer Elite padded shorts this morning.  I wish there were more options as the Shock Doctor looked interesting but didn't have the tail bone pad.  All other options I saw were missing the velcro which right or wrong, was a deal breaker for me.  

I thought about going the Labeda route but given that I'm new, I tend to err on the side of going with the big brand names in the sport. 

On 1/16/2017 at 4:01 PM, Giraffe14 said:

The cup pocket is attached at the top with your standard leg loops. 

I received my Bauer Elite padded shorts yesterday and tried them out last night at a drop-in.  My biggest reason for buying these were to help with falls on my tail bone (not so much my hips).  Here are my comments:

1) Cup - As has been mentioned, there are internal straps which did a fine job of holding everything in place.  The cup wasn't particularly comfortable at first but with the internal straps I was able to position the cup to where I wanted and it stayed.

2) Sizing - I ordered a medium as my waist is typically 32-33 (okay, okay, I might be a 34 so soon after the holidays).  The shorts were extremely snug but I would expect them to loosen up a bit after a few uses and washes.  

3) Protection - The padding seems to be well placed but is fairly small.  I was able to test the padding last night as I did a Charlie Brown and fell flat on my tail bone.  It still hurt a lot and I was worried that I had wasted my money; however, I woke up this morning feeling pretty darn good.  Despite the fall hurting as much as previous falls, I didn't have the morning after pain that I had before.  

4) Quality - As I would expect with a Bauer product, the quality of these shorts definitely is better than the Shock Doctor that I had been using.  Not sure how to describe it but the materials just feel better and like they will last longer.  Little things like the velcro tabs feel nice and sturdy.  It feels as if they were designed specifically for hockey by a hockey company... ;)

I wish I had more cushion on my tail bone so the falls aren't so painful, but I believe the lack of morning after pain was a result of having these padded shorts.  I may look at having some additional padding sewn into my pants to help cushion future falls...

Thanks for the feedback on the Labeda Pama 71's fellas.  I just ordered a pair in size large, looking forward to trying them out.  I plan to wear these at public skates as well.  

10 hours ago, proth0303 said:

I received my Bauer Elite padded shorts yesterday and tried them out last night at a drop-in.  My biggest reason for buying these were to help with falls on my tail bone (not so much my hips).  Here are my comments:

1) Cup - As has been mentioned, there are internal straps which did a fine job of holding everything in place.  The cup wasn't particularly comfortable at first but with the internal straps I was able to position the cup to where I wanted and it stayed.

2) Sizing - I ordered a medium as my waist is typically 32-33 (okay, okay, I might be a 34 so soon after the holidays).  The shorts were extremely snug but I would expect them to loosen up a bit after a few uses and washes.  

3) Protection - The padding seems to be well placed but is fairly small.  I was able to test the padding last night as I did a Charlie Brown and fell flat on my tail bone.  It still hurt a lot and I was worried that I had wasted my money; however, I woke up this morning feeling pretty darn good.  Despite the fall hurting as much as previous falls, I didn't have the morning after pain that I had before.  

4) Quality - As I would expect with a Bauer product, the quality of these shorts definitely is better than the Shock Doctor that I had been using.  Not sure how to describe it but the materials just feel better and like they will last longer.  Little things like the velcro tabs feel nice and sturdy.  It feels as if they were designed specifically for hockey by a hockey company... ;)

I wish I had more cushion on my tail bone so the falls aren't so painful, but I believe the lack of morning after pain was a result of having these padded shorts.  I may look at having some additional padding sewn into my pants to help cushion future falls...

http://www.inlinewarehouse.com/CCM_RBZ_Roller_Hockey_Girdle_Sr/descpage-CZRG.html

I think CCM is phasing out this product. But the tailbone protection is great. High density foam on the inside, reinforced with very durable place on the outside.

Just an FYI if anyone is still looking for something.

So I got my shorts and tried them out at stick time. I figured they were enough protection where I didn’t need full on hockey pants, which was true for what I was doing.

Size wise they run big. I ordered a Medium which should be perfect, and they were loose on me. They felt more like boxers than compression shorts. The cup moved around a little, not enough to where it sacrificed protection. I swapped out the cup when I got home for my SD flex cup, definitely more comfortable. Then I put my hockey pants on and it was a no-go. The pads on the hips were too thick, it felt super bulky. I have 9K pants which are a more snug fit. I originally bought them for hockey but I’ll only wear them when I don’t wear hockey pants, they’re just too bulky.

3 minutes ago, stick9 said:

So I got my shorts and tried them out at stick time. I figured they were enough protection where I didn’t need full on hockey pants, which was true for what I was doing.

Size wise they run big. I ordered a Medium which should be perfect, and they were loose on me. They felt more like boxers than compression shorts. The cup moved around a little, not enough to where it sacrificed protection. I swapped out the cup when I got home for my SD flex cup, definitely more comfortable. Then I put my hockey pants on and it was a no-go. The pads on the hips were too thick, it felt super bulky. I have 9K pants which are a more snug fit. I originally bought them for hockey but I’ll only wear them when I don’t wear hockey pants, they’re just too bulky.

How is the tailbone protection?  The Bauer's I just bought are definitely not bulky but I'm actively looking for more tailbone padding.

5 minutes ago, stick9 said:

This might be a dumb suggestion, but maybe try a Lycra type short over the top to get a snug fit? 

6 minutes ago, stick9 said:

My opinion on the fit is true to size. I am 6'0 170 32" waist and the M fit me perfectly. They are not AS snug as other compression shorts, but they certainly are not baggy on me. Now, depending on the pants you wear, they may be a tight squeeze, but I wear a franchise M and they work fine. I expected a tighter fit since I wanted adequate hip protection.

4 minutes ago, proth0303 said:

How is the tailbone protection?  The Bauer's I just bought are definitely not bulky but I'm actively looking for more tailbone padding.

The tailbone protection seems "OK", it's there, but seems like it could be a bit longer to cover more of the coccyx. I rarely fall on there so it's hard to give an accurate assessment.

I should rephrase that.

I originally bought them for hockey but I’ll only wear them when I don’t wear hockey pants. Adding a layer of padding that thick doesn't work well with the pants I wear.

Thats probably more accurate.