Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

MD56

Older model sticks that are still worth looking at?

I'm on a stick buying bender, specifically looking for older model sticks that were High End at the time, but are maybe 2-3-4 model years back. I think there are still great deals to be had on some of these sticks assuming you get lucky and can find it in your hand/flex/pattern.

My hit list so far is: CCM Ultra Tacks, CCM Tacks, APX 2.. 

So what are your recommendations? 

Outside of what you've already mentioned, the Sherwood EK15, Reebok Ribcor, Warrior DT1LT/ST, Warrior QR1 and QRPro are all sticks I'd look to pick up at clearance prices if you can find them in a curve and flex that suits you.

1 hour ago, althoma1 said:

if you can find them in a curve and flex that suits you.

Hockey is the only reason i wish I was a lefty, so many more options available. 

Retail Ultra Tacks in RH / 75-85 flex seem to have vanished off the planet at this point. I've found a few Pro Stock Returns in that profile but still a little above what I'd like to spend ($150ish ).  The Warrior QR's are definitely on the radar as well, but like the ultra tacks they are hoovering  just a little above what I'd want to spend. 

When my son gets old enough to play, the first advice I'm going to give him is learn to play lefty, and learn to love a toe / heel curve. He'll be in cheap sticks for the rest of his life. 

You'd be hard pressed to find one, but I think the Nexus 1000 was the best stick ever made. I'd take it over any of the current top of the line offerings. 

Of the more recent models, I do like my Ribcor Reckoner.

40 minutes ago, stick9 said:

The Nexus 8000 is another great stick, might even prefer it to the first gen 1N.

Is the flex profile the same? I know the 1N family has the Sweet Spot but it's still Bauer's 'Tru Mid-Flex', right?

I have the Supreme Mx3 for about a year and a half and love it. It's been durable so far.

I got it in a 77 flex instead of 87 flex because I thought my NXG played stiff. 

Really what I would do is look over the catalog section to see what curves you like from certain OEM's then as you look over the catalogs you will see what options are even available.  You may discover the ideal curve is not offered in the flex or model that you are interested in.  It can also help you determine what curve model # is the name for a specific year you may be looking for.

I have created my own Warrior Curve chart.

• 1-W06: Smyth 2006-2008
  • 2-W07: Robitaille 2006-2007, Kovalchuck 2008-2011
  • 3-W10: Gionta 2011-2013
  • 4-W14: Chara 2013-2014

I have not determined the stick models available for those curves though and that can help you relize that needle is actually in the haystack

I do think that Warrior switched ...

• -switched W07 to become what is similar in the W88 in 2012
  • -switched W14 to become what is similar in the W71 W16 in 2015

I really like the W06, problem with all these old curves, is that you dont know what they are like, until you find that old stock...But even after looking at the W71...The more I see it, the more I can say that would be my current curve that is readily available at retail today.

I also want to mention...I was at a tournament in Cinncinati recently.  They had a close-out stick area with older models...but when I walked over to the newer stick area...they also had old models there that didnt appear to be marked down.  I found this puzzling...one crazy thought was the closeout sticks may have actually been floor models and flexxed alot (even though they had signs not to flex sticks).  And if so what type of deal would that be...crazy I know

Thanks for all of the input. I'll probably be pulling the trigger one something in the next few days. I used my HD1 (W88) for the 2nd time last night and I'm not so sure that I'm loving it anymore. Was pushing shots way wide and generally just having a tough time getting a handle. 

Might change up to a slight different curve just to experiment, have my eye on a new Retail Tacks that someone still has hanging around, we'll see if they are willing to negotiate :) 

On 1/4/2017 at 6:07 PM, boo10 said:

You'd be hard pressed to find one, but I think the Nexus 1000 was the best stick ever made. I'd take it over any of the current top of the line offerings. 

Of the more recent models, I do like my Ribcor Reckoner.

Wholeheartedly agree.  Wish I had stocked up on more.

Pulled the trigger on a Tacks - 85 - Nugent Hopkins, somehow someone still had a new - retail one sitting around. Got it for $100 which i think is fair. Will not get a chance to try it out until next week. 

I really wanted to hold out for an Ultra Tacks, but this stick seemed like a solid deal and it's one that I definitely one that i'd been wanting to try out. Will likely keep my eye out still for Ultra Tacks and the list of other sticks that are on my radar. 

22 hours ago, MD56 said:

Pulled the trigger on a Tacks - 85 - Nugent Hopkins, somehow someone still had a new - retail one sitting around. Got it for $100 which i think is fair. Will not get a chance to try it out until next week. 

I really wanted to hold out for an Ultra Tacks, but this stick seemed like a solid deal and it's one that I definitely one that i'd been wanting to try out. Will likely keep my eye out still for Ultra Tacks and the list of other sticks that are on my radar. 

Not sure if your in US or Canada but I just picked up a Ultra tacks for 120CAD/95US from pro hockey life in Canada. Still available both left and right P40/Hossa curve

4 hours ago, powershift24 said:

Not sure if your in US or Canada but I just picked up a Ultra tacks for 120CAD/95US from pro hockey life in Canada. Still available both left and right P40/Hossa curve

Awesome find! Like you said, less than $100 after the US conversion and free shipping. Decided to go for it. Thanks! 

Beside the Ultra Tacks, looks like they have a few other good deals and with good flex / pattern combos:  Warrior AX Pro SL, Ribcore 48k, TOtalOne MX3, N8000 

Really like this site, we'll see how long it take for shipping to the US. 

4 hours ago, MD56 said:

Awesome find! Like you said, less than $100 after the US conversion and free shipping. Decided to go for it. Thanks! 

Nice! Wasn't sure how the shipping to the US worked with them, good it was still free. My stick is getting here tomorrow so excited to test it out this weekend!

It might sound crazy, but I played over Christmas with a wood Sherwood PMPX 9950. P77 pattern with 105 flex. I was cracking off really nice clappers and one-timers. Puck feel was great, but snap/wristers were moderately embarrassing. It's 675 grams.

I normally play with a Sherwood composite P77 or copycat (e.g. INSRIKE greenpower P77 w/ 100 flex). I'm seriously thinking of ordering some wood sticks.

On 1/11/2017 at 3:15 PM, powershift24 said:

Nice! Wasn't sure how the shipping to the US worked with them, good it was still free. My stick is getting here tomorrow so excited to test it out this weekend!

Bad news, this morning I got an email front Pro Hockey Life saying my order was canceled.  "Due to manufacturer restrictions the following companies require a valid Canadian shipping address to complete the order: CCM, Bauer, Easton, Warrior..."

someone here may know the reason for this, I sure don't.