Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Jamarquan

CCM Tacks Skates - Toe Caps

I have really low arches, so one of the things I've done in the past is to swap out the stock foot insert with one from an old pair of sneakers that had no arch support. it might help. It might not. But it will give you an indication if the boot is right for you. If the boot is right, one thing you can try is inserts that have grip on them that prevent your feet from slipping. I think gel inserts are like this.

I just got new skates, so I tried almost everything except the Jetspeeds. The arches in the Tacks felt super high for me, like standing on pyramids. I went to Supremes and the arches were perfect. 

I always have trouble with sizing because I'm between sizes 4.5-5.0, and I'm a 175lb grown man. It's comical. But because of this I always have to go with the larger skate because of volume issues. Anyway. I've found inexpensive things to try to get my skates to fit right. First thing I do is go to the local dollar store and get myself a  set of foam insoles. I take those, and I cut a piece of the toe off, small enough to fit into my toe cap.

I put the foam insole toes into the toe cap and slip my foot under it. That usually takes care of any room in the toe cap. It pretty much acts like the power foot stuff. If that's not enough I take what's left of the insole and put it vertically against the inside heel of my skate. Slip on your skates and see if that takes up enough room between your heel and skate. It'll reach higher than the skate boot but worry about clipping to size later. If it's still not enough, fold the insert at the heel in half and try again.

For me, this usually does it. My heel locks and I don't have issues with my toes. For me this isn't the permanent solution for the heels. Just a cheap test to let me know what I'll need to do. My permanent solution is to get a pair of gel heel supports, but instead of using them for heel support, I stick them vertical against my heels like I did with the foam insole. You can either glue the gel heel supports into your skate or just place the gel against your heel and pull your socks over them to keep them in place as you slip on your skate.

Ideally you want to find the perfect/proper fit skate, but for people like me, this is what I have to do. Maybe it'll help you figure things out.

On 1/5/2017 at 11:16 AM, OzziesDad said:

I've noticed my Tacks have really "opened up" after 2 months (skating regularly 2-4x a week).  Meaning, while the  boot is still very stiff, and I feel like I am getting proper heel lock, I do notice that the overall fit just isn't as snug.  Obviously this is fairly normal as the skate has become more broken in over time.  Would Powerfeet take up a bit more room in the toe box, for possibly a bit more "tighter" fit in that area?

Hey @OzziesDad

Yes, the POWERFOOT will take up the excess on top of your toes in the toe box giving you a comfortable "snug" fit. This will also improve the power transfer from your pushing toe and stability in the skate. They're also guaranteed for 30 days so if you test them out and are not happy you can send them back/return them no problem. 

Let me know if you have any other questions... you can also check out the POWERFOOT thread on here, lots of comments and feedback there and I don't want to get chirped for high-jacking this thread ;)

On 1/5/2017 at 8:41 AM, Jamarquan said:

7.5D, but I wear a 10.5D sneaker now (Asics) and I do not have Powerfoot inserts, though I could try them. I am having problems with the heel locks as well, they feel a little bit too high and my heels are moving. 

Hey @Jamarquan let me know if you have any questions on the POWERFOOT, I'd be happy to help. The POWERFOOT will keep you toes down and supported but also keep your foot in place. If i'm not wearing the POWERFOOT my toes are slightly more then feathering the front of the toecap. When I have my POWERFOOT in my toes aren't touching. 

Keep in mind they are guaranteed for 30 days so if you want to test them as you're trying to figure out the best combo (mine is the Stable 26 socks, Bauer speed plates and the POWERFOOT in an old pair of Bauers) you can and return them if they don't help. 

Cheers

Watch the video I have posted above (the one with air bladder device). This video goes through the steps of fitting the skates. Go through the steps and see how it goes. This will lead give you general idea if the skates are correct size.

5 hours ago, MikeBoyarchuk said:

Hey @OzziesDad

Yes, the POWERFOOT will take up the excess on top of your toes in the toe box giving you a comfortable "snug" fit. This will also improve the power transfer from your pushing toe and stability in the skate. They're also guaranteed for 30 days so if you test them out and are not happy you can send them back/return them no problem. 

Let me know if you have any other questions... you can also check out the POWERFOOT thread on here, lots of comments and feedback there and I don't want to get chirped for high-jacking this thread ;)

Thank you for the insight.  Just ordered two sets, one for each pair of skates.  Will report back in the proper thread after a few games if use!

18 hours ago, OzziesDad said:

Thank you for the insight.  Just ordered two sets, one for each pair of skates.  Will report back in the proper thread after a few games if use!

Welcome to Team POWERFOOT! We look forward to your feedback. 

Cheers!