Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

tpedersen3118

Girdles

I was interested in switching from pants (Nexus 800) to a girdle, so like most I started searching. I'm not finding much out there on Pure, HG, HM, or Total. Are manufactures moving away from girdles as an option? Warrior's are discounted and from the description wouldn't work for my big can, Bauer has 4 options TO HP PRO?, HP?, MX3, and 190. Other than, that's about it.

Also, aside from the ability to swap shells, what are some of the benefits and potential draw backs of girdles.

CCM and Tackla can still be found, Eagle and Valken and Franklin have gone, Easton will have stopped. The range is definitely less than a few years ago. I have found protection between the 2 to be similar across the ranges ie a top end Bauer pant is similar to a top end Bauer girdle. Girdles are closer fitting and generally have more adjustment options for a custom fit. Pants are a loose fit, better ventilation but the fit is how they are made. Some will say you can get more movement in a pant but personally I think that is just an impression of how you like the fit, close or loose. You can also use a girdle for inline if you want that extra protection. I'm in a 9k girdle and I suspect they will be prying it off my dead body before I give it up but that is just me and what I like.

The old Reebok 9k's are really tanks and very protective.  The adjustable length is a nice feature.

Both Tackla girdles are amazingly light and they don't restrict at all.  I find the 4000 to have better quality and it really does have amazing protection for how light it is.  I can't figure out why Tackla girdles are not more popular.

I was in a similar situation as yourself trying to decide which direction to go ... after much research i ended up with a Warrior Projekt Girdle.

It terms of protection - i think its more in your mind that loose pants protect more as they feel bulkier.. But since switching - i think they are much of a muchness.. When standing still the pants feel like they cover more - but the pads more more independently from each other therefore when your actually in movement that is when the gaps in protection occur.

Terms of Mobility - When you put the thing on the first few times in the change room - it feels like you wont have that much movement, as you feel it all on your skin and tight. But this is because your sitting there and its a new feeling, when you start playing you forget this and start thinking about the game - I think they are more mobile then reg pants.

Temperature - i think the girdle is cooler but i used to wear a compression jock, now its built in, so i loose a layer - but i would suspect this may not be the same for everyone

I will say this - as someone who used to dress always skates, then shins, then pants - it has made me re think what im doing when getting dressed

I have heard from Warrior that this gear revision (new protective) will not include a new girdle, so the dynasty will still be their newest, but they are looking at a revamp next go around (so maybe 2018?)

On a side note - i would have loved a 9k Girdle after everything i have read - but quite simply could not source one at any where close to a decent price point, (as i would require postage to australia).

My kid has been wearing Bauer Supreme Totalone and MX3 Girdle for a few seasons now. He started with Bauer XXXX girdles and went on to Supreme. In term of protection, he has never complaint once about not being protected and he's the type of player that crashes the net and tries to tip clappers from the point. Girdles are light, mobile and only reason I don't wear them is because I grew up using suspenders and like my pants super loose at the waist, and girdles pretty much won't let me loosen the waist unless I like to sag out on the ice, which I don't...

All the years he's worn girdles, he has only hurt himself once which was recently when he fell on his ass during an innocent play. He did hurt his tailbone for a good week. I then went on to recycle Poron padding from a long sleeve Bauer 37.5 Elite Integrated shirt. I cut off the sleeves and used the Poron wrist protection and had a dry cleaner sewn on to the shell for added protection. He doesn't even notice the added pads and still swears by his girdles. He's probably the only one on his team that wears girdles instead of pants...

About the Reebok 9K girdles, yes they're crazy protective and built like tanks, but they also weight like goddamn tanks. I tried them on once and was wondering how anyone can wear them, they're just too heavy in my opinion and defeat the purpose of the girdles being light weight.

I just got a bauer supreme total one adaptable core girdle and need a shell for it. After going through hockey monkey, will the bauer mx3 shell work or am I better off go with a CCM PP10 shell instead? The Bauer Nexus looks nice, but says it's designed to go over traditional pants. Any advice is appreciated.

I'm anxious to try out a girdle.  I got a TotalOne NXG pant (red shell) for dirt cheap on Black Friday, need to get an MX3 shell in black and try it out.  Bauer did tell me they are compatible. 

For pant shells, I go one size down from my girdle.  I wear a size large girdle and use size medium pant shells and size large girdle shells.

+1 vote for the Reebok 9K pro stock girdle.

Definitely agree they are built like and weigh like tanks! Everyone I've shown them too says the same thing and it puts them off - I love them though. I've seen a few people recommend to remove the leg pads and put a set of shells on (lowers) that have leg pads build into them instead. Not sure how that would go but I'm keen to try it!

I've recently been using pro stock CCM HP35's. I think they weight a little less and they do feel like you have more movement so I can see where other people are coming from. I'll try to weight them when I get home for reference.

I'll be trying the new girdles I suspect are coming out 2017 from Bauer and CCM.

21 hours ago, Aggie said:

For pant shells, I go one size down from my girdle.  I wear a size large girdle and use size medium pant shells and size large girdle shells.

That all depends on brand/combo. MX3 medium girdle is a perfect fit for me, the included medium shell feels too small, add a large shell and they're perfect for me.

1 hour ago, t1tan said:

That all depends on brand/combo. MX3 medium girdle is a perfect fit for me, the included medium shell feels too small, add a large shell and they're perfect for me.

I agree with this statement 100%. I have an NXG girdle size small(pretty much the same thing as MX3) and the NXG shell that came with it is to small... One size bigger (medium) NXG shell fits perfectly, but I actually like the fit of the Nexus shell also, but in the Nexus shell I match the girdle and shell sizes, both size small... Less padding and breaths better than the NXG shell in my opinion. 

Okay, that's the only girdle types (newer Bauer combos) I haven't tried.  I have used or currently use the old CCM Tacks, Bauer MBP, Easton Synergy girdle, Eagle girdles, Tackla girdles, and Warrior Projekt and Dynasty girdles.  The Easton girdle shells I have match up with the same size girdle, while one size down for various pant shells work for me.

9K.  The end.

I've worm them all - Tackla, Bauer Supreme, Stealth, Warrior - because I played both ice and roller, and would just wear the girdle for roller too, even though it was overkill.  Of all of them, the Easton Stealth was definitely the best option.  It fit and moved well, and was very protective.  The Warrior Projekt was good, but there was too much going on, and it left a big gap in the abdomen area.  The Tackla is as old school as it gets.  I liked the configuration of the Easton better.  And the Bauer was a tank in areas, but left the entire inside of your body unprotected.  Not a fan.

About 6 months ago I got a 9K, and it's the best of all of them.  It's a little heavy, but you don't notice it on the ice.  Tight in the hips, but looser in the thigh, and it's a tank.  Plus the pro shells that attach with velcro loops are much more durable than the retail ones.  If you're getting a girdle, get a 9K.

I have the Bauer TotalOne NXG. The MX3 is the basically the same girdle just newer branding and it runs just slightly bigger than the NXG. I wear a large in the NXG and I have the original shell from the NXG and a black shell from the MX3 and they both fit. The MX3 shell is a hair shorter in the legs, but you can't tell once it's on. I came from loose fitting pants and I don't know that I'd go back unless I just couldn't get a girdle anymore. I feel like I'm not really wearing it when I'm skating and it seems to be less of an interference. I definitely would recommend one, but if you can try it on first that would be the best bet.