Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Jeff T

Back to skating after 30 years, struggling with my Jetspeeds...

Yes after 30 years I decided to start skating again. I spent two, two hour sessions at our local rink in rental skates, Riedells I believe, and decided to buy a new pair of hockey skates. 

Headed to the local hockey store where I tried on numerous skates and bought CCM Jetspeed Xtras. The guy who fit me noticed I had a wider foot and we went back and forth between Tacks 5042 and the Jetspeed. Had them baked and the next day off to the rink.

OMG, here's where the pain starts. While I know these are not supposed to be slippers I could barely skate 20 minutes before I had to take them off. They were killing the inside of my arches. I took a break, then relaced them a little looser and went back out. Again after 15-20 minutes I had to stop. This went on for the entire 2 hour session.

I took a day off and went back out again with the same results. Home I went online, found this forum and read a few posts with people having similar issues with Jetspeeds. 

From what I have read the Bauer Nexus is a wider skate and may be a better choice for me. I wonder why my fitter didn't have me try those on?

When I bought these I wanted to stay around $200 and did ask the question, would spending more get me a more comfortable skate. Answer was no.

Going skating again today and if things stay the same I'm headed back to the shop Monday.

Any advice or things I should be doing differently? My last pair of skates had "Bobby Orr" on the side!

THanks!

1 hour ago, Jeff T said:

Yes after 30 years I decided to start skating again. I spent two, two hour sessions at our local rink in rental skates, Riedells I believe, and decided to buy a new pair of hockey skates. 

Headed to the local hockey store where I tried on numerous skates and bought CCM Jetspeed Xtras. The guy who fit me noticed I had a wider foot and we went back and forth between Tacks 5042 and the Jetspeed. Had them baked and the next day off to the rink.

OMG, here's where the pain starts. While I know these are not supposed to be slippers I could barely skate 20 minutes before I had to take them off. They were killing the inside of my arches. I took a break, then relaced them a little looser and went back out. Again after 15-20 minutes I had to stop. This went on for the entire 2 hour session.

I took a day off and went back out again with the same results. Home I went online, found this forum and read a few posts with people having similar issues with Jetspeeds. 

From what I have read the Bauer Nexus is a wider skate and may be a better choice for me. I wonder why my fitter didn't have me try those on?

When I bought these I wanted to stay around $200 and did ask the question, would spending more get me a more comfortable skate. Answer was no.

Going skating again today and if things stay the same I'm headed back to the shop Monday.

Any advice or things I should be doing differently? My last pair of skates had "Bobby Orr" on the side!

THanks!

I have the same problem in my Tacks, especially during turns. Try the Nexus, they should be a little wider.

Sounds like a footbed issue or one where you simply aren't used to the super stiff skates of the current era.

Have you tried not tying them as tight, specifically over your arch? I barely yank on my laces except for the 2nd and 3rd to last (and leave the top eyelet undone). It's better to have the skate support you by design rather than rely on super tight lacing.

Most people assume any type of foot pain can be allievaited by buying a wider boot- I can assure you that having something your foot is swimming in will cause more harm than good in the long run. 

JetSpeed Xtra SMU ($199 model) is made on JetSpeed 260 boot with upgraded tongue and eyelets and liner. From what I know, JetSpeed 280 is the lowest bakable model. The fact that your fitter baked those, does not inspire confidence. Perhaps this is why you was fitted in a tight skate boot and was ensured that spending more money will not get you more comfortable skates. That said, there are plenty of skates that cost more that $199 that will be as or less comfortable. I always point out this video as this to me is one of the better guides on skates fitting

... go through the steps yourself and see if anything is amiss.

You might need to change the way you tie the skates. You need to leave the skates just snug in the eyelets below ankle, and crank tight the top 4 eyelets for better ankle stability.

Even though the boot is not intended to be baked, it still can be punched out. Most likely, you need to look into punching out just forward of mid-foot, outside. The throbbing pain in arches is most likely due to the blood flow constriction.

Bauer Nexus N7000 might have been a more comfortable choice for the same money and similar boot construction.

I have low arches and have run into this problem a lot. One solution you can try is to take out the stock foot liner and try on your skate with no liner at home. Don't go skating. Just see if it feels better. If it does, try replacing the liner with one from an old pair of sneakers. Just make sure it's flat and without arch support. 

If this works you can cut the arch section out of the stock foot liner and try them again. Of course don't do this until you're absolutely sure. 

If you don't have an old pair of sneakers to caniblize, you can goto the dollar store and pick up some cheap foot liners to mess around with. 

Not tieing the laces as tight did seem to help. I will try removing the liner and see what's up there. Skating today and going to try a few different things. Surprised by the comment these are not bakeable, I'll check on that.

Thanks for the comments!

On 1/8/2017 at 6:40 PM, puckpilot said:

One solution you can try is to take out the stock foot liner and try on your skate with no liner at home. Don't go skating. Just see if it feels better. If it does, try replacing the liner with one from an old pair of sneakers. Just make sure it's flat and without arch support. 

I pulled out the stock liners and replaced them with a pair out of my Nike Free RN Distance. What and improvement!! I was able to skate virtually pain free. I plan of looking for some alternate liners. Thanks for the tip!!

7 minutes ago, Jeff T said:

I pulled out the stock liners and replaced them with a pair out of my Nike Free RN Distance. What and improvement!! I was able to skate virtually pain free. I plan of looking for some alternate liners. Thanks for the tip!!

Jeff, where are you located? If you can get some custom insoles I bet you'll be all good. If you're in Michigan, there's a great place that does them for a decent price.

IMHO if your feet don't need the support orthodics aren't necessary. 

And remember, apparently the reason your feet hurt is because the stock liner is taking up room, so your arch Is getting squeezed. I suspect, Orthodics will fill up that room again, and you could be back to square one. 

46 minutes ago, puckpilot said:

IMHO if your feet don't need the support orthodics aren't necessary. 

And remember, apparently the reason your feet hurt is because the stock liner is taking up room, so your arch Is getting squeezed. I suspect, Orthodics will fill up that room again, and you could be back to square one. 

Not necessarily... he replaced them with his running shoe insoles which, more than likely, are a bit thicker than the stock insoles. Running shoes tend to have a bit thicker insole to provide cushioning because they don't need the lateral support for the shoe. The stock insoles in most skates are very thin compared to other types of athletic shoes. I would venture a guess that he needs the arch support so it's not flatting out his foot when he skates. Jeff, did you compare the two insoles to see what the difference is? Is one more flat than the other? 

First time in my vh skates I had terrible arch pain. I've had similar pain when skating the first time after a week off walking around in soft sandals. 

Also Vh Width was not a problem for my 4E wide feet  

Its sorta like not being used to being on your toes. 

I had cxns and a medium forward pitch on my blades so it was higher than what I was used to. 

My running shoe insoles are actually flatter that what was in the skate. The insole in the skate really rides up. I watched some videos that suggested trimming the factory insoles back to releive some of the pressure. I'm reluctant to start hacking on new skates so I'll use the Nike inserts for now.

I spoke to the guy that owns Fastech today during my fitting. He said there's a chiropractor in the Chicagoland area whom they trained on their equipment. If you think it might be of interest, call Fastech and ask them for the info. He told me the guys name, but I can't remember and I didn't write it down :blush:. Anyway, I walked around in my skates after the fitting and I can't believe what a difference it makes. The stock insole is basically paper and the new one feels so much more comfortable and stable. I'm skating tonight on them so hopefully I can give you some feedback on the product tomorrow.

The JetSpeed Xtra skates are from a Sports Excellence dealer (am one as well). If there's a chance of working out a deal to get you into a Nexus skate, look at the Nexus Freeze. It's based off the N7000, but with an upgraded blade, outsole, and a HydraMax liner, which at the $200 price point is great value.

6 hours ago, Allsports&Cycle said:

The JetSpeed Xtra skates are from a Sports Excellence dealer (am one as well). If there's a chance of working out a deal to get you into a Nexus skate, look at the Nexus Freeze. It's based off the N7000, but with an upgraded blade, outsole, and a HydraMax liner, which at the $200 price point is great value.

I stopped at the store today and that wasn't an option brought up. My discomfort is being looked at as part of the break in process.

The more I read about the Nexus line the more I'm surprised they weren't one of the ones suggested to try on especially after the fitter noticed my feet were wider.

One last note, the pencil test. From the top down the pencil on the third eyelet has a very slight rock, by the time I get to the fourth eyelet, it's not even close...

5 hours ago, Jeff T said:

I stopped at the store today and that wasn't an option brought up. My discomfort is being looked at as part of the break in process.

The more I read about the Nexus line the more I'm surprised they weren't one of the ones suggested to try on especially after the fitter noticed my feet were wider.

One last note, the pencil test. From the top down the pencil on the third eyelet has a very slight rock, by the time I get to the fourth eyelet, it's not even close...

I'm not sure that amount of discomfort is natural. Over the holidays I had to get new skates. I got fitted and my first time on the ice with the new skates I was able to skate for almost two hours. There was discomfort but if I was focused on just skating, I barely even noticed.  Definitely nothing near what you're going through.

The funny thing is, because of the unique circumstances of my feet, it turned out the skates weren't quite right for my feet. Not enough volume, and I got lace bite. I went back to my LHS, and they asked me what I wanted to do. They took back the skates, and I got refitted and into a different pair of skates. Those skates were like the first pair, discomfort, but I was able to skate for more than two hours. And when I took the skates off, all I had to do was wiggle my toes and everything was back to normal.

Here are some links about proper skate sizing. 

http://newtohockey.com/hockey-skate-fitting-guide/

And here's a video on how to do sizing yourself at home. This chart goes along with that video. http://www.hockeytutorial.com/uncategorized/ice-hockey-skate-sizing-chart-width-and-length/

I found this info really helpful when I was looking for skates. It helped give me a more accurate picture of my own feet. Some things I thought I knew turned out to be wrong.

puckpilot - Using the tutorial I'm in the right length but my width is a 2.6 which is a wider skate. I don't know how an innersole, that the shop wants to change, is going to make my foot fit if the skate needs to be wider. Returning them isn't an option as they say once they're baked and sharpened you can't return them. 

It was pointed out that since they carry the Xtra's they are a Sports Excellence dealer, I don't know what that means for me. My feeling is they are reluctant look at the skate and reopen the fit process. They have another store that I will stop in today and try the Nexus as well as ask plenty more questions about the fit.

Thanks!

Sport Excellence Dealer... Is that their way of saying that they know what they are doing? Just from that alone you know you are talking to a prick. Send email to ConsumerServices@reebokccm.com and ask them if the jetspeeds you have can be baked. Also mention that they were baked by the excellence dealer. If I am right, this may give you some leverage to return the skates.

1 hour ago, Kgbeast said:

Sport Excellence Dealer... Is that their way of saying that they know what they are doing? Just from that alone you know you are talking to a prick. Send email to ConsumerServices@reebokccm.com and ask them if the jetspeeds you have can be baked. Also mention that they were baked by the excellence dealer. If I am right, this may give you some leverage to return the skates.

Sports Excellence is a buying group, like Source for Sports. Not sure if you have those where you are, but they're groups of independent sports store owners who (basically) pool their money to have better buying power, and thus better discounts from the suppliers so they can compete better with the Hockey Monkeys of the world. They also have SMU (Special Make Ups) models made with different names, such as the Jetspeed Xtra that Jeff T. bought.

3 hours ago, Jeff T said:

puckpilot - Using the tutorial I'm in the right length but my width is a 2.6 which is a wider skate. I don't know how an innersole, that the shop wants to change, is going to make my foot fit if the skate needs to be wider. Returning them isn't an option as they say once they're baked and sharpened you can't return them. 

It was pointed out that since they carry the Xtra's they are a Sports Excellence dealer, I don't know what that means for me. My feeling is they are reluctant look at the skate and reopen the fit process. They have another store that I will stop in today and try the Nexus as well as ask plenty more questions about the fit.

Thanks!

The fact that they're a Sports Excellence dealer should have no effect (and doesn't even necessarily mean that they know what they're doing), I was simply suggesting another SMU skate for you to try that was good value for its price and might fit better based on what you were saying about your feet.

45 minutes ago, Jeff T said:

I emailed them 3 days ago, no response...

I wave emailed them about 5 times this past year and they answered most within a day or two. The only email that lingered in there for about a week was a somewhat confrontational about their weak eyelets, but eventually they did reply. I do not know what you put in the email, but less is more usually. It worth sending several one question emails than one with several questions.