Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

colins

Curvable composite blades

Does anyone know of any companies that have experimented with composite blade materials that can be modified (via heat or some other method) to tweak your own curve? 

If someone can come up with a blade construction that had similar weight and feel as current composites but had the ability to modify your curve to suit your own tastes, surely that would be a game changer? Easier said than done obviously, but has anyone reported any progress in this area? I suspect it's just a matter of time - are there any materials out there in other industries that seem to hold promise for this?

colins

Have you tried to heat and bend? At the end of the day, the sticks are made out of a resin of some kind and should soften and become at least a little bit pliable with heat. I doubt you will be able to make 90 degree bends, but something like opening or closing the face or increase/decrease the existing curve should be possible. I guess it is time for you to score a broken stick and start tinker :)

25 minutes ago, Kgbeast said:

Have you tried to heat and bend? At the end of the day, the sticks are made out of a resin of some kind and should soften and become at least a little bit pliable with heat. I doubt you will be able to make 90 degree bends, but something like opening or closing the face or increase/decrease the existing curve should be possible. I guess it is time for you to score a broken stick and start tinker :)

nope.  

Funny you posted this, as I was just thinking it would be interesting to know if a blade could be made from Curv.  It softens with heat for molding, then gets very stiff when cooled, which seems perfect. 

2 hours ago, Kgbeast said:

You can heat and mold blades, but they feel like shit and then break. 

Tried 6 comp blades, all of them weren't as stiff as before. 2 blade (sherwood rm9, T90) were still playable ONLY for roller. The rest broke at warming up (warrior ak27, DD). 

It not recommended to heat and bend those blades.