Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

veriluxxx

problem with feel and response of sherwood ek15

I've been using the sherwood ek15 (95 flex) and ever since I have been having problems scoring, mostly with my shots being really slow. I feel like the release isn't quick enough. Sticks I've used before include, warrior dolomite 85 flex, which was my favorite until it broke. Easton v9e and warrior DT1 (both 95 flex). I'm thinking the sherwood might be that its either too stiff because cutting 2-3" wont effect the flex or the kick point is too low. I thinking about trying the t120 in 95 or 85 flex or maybe getting a ek15 in 85 flex. Let me know what you guys think. Thanks

4 minutes ago, veriluxxx said:

I've been using the sherwood ek15 (95 flex) and ever since I have been having problems scoring, mostly with my shots being really slow. I feel like the release isn't quick enough. Sticks I've used before include, warrior dolomite 85 flex, which was my favorite until it broke. Easton v9e and warrior DT1 (both 95 flex). I'm thinking the sherwood might be that its either too stiff because cutting 2-3" wont effect the flex or the kick point is too low. I thinking about trying the t120 in 95 or 85 flex or maybe getting a ek15 in 85 flex. Let me know what you guys think. Thanks

What about your curve and how you shoot? The type of shots you take and where you take them? That would help us a lot in helping you. 

Side note: A low kick point should have a faster release, so I don't think it could be too low, but I could be wrong.

I've found the kick point to be higher on the EK15 when compared to the Warrior Covert.  The EK15 loads better for slappers, but but isn't as quick to respond on snap shots. 

The curve on my ek15 is pp26, simliar to the draper curves on warrior. I'm not sure if my problem is a kick point problem or flex problem. I'm leaning towards flex because I've cut a couple of inches of previous sticks in 85 flex and maybe this adds it up to around 90. So maybe I need a 85 flex in the sherwood sticks and the my ek15 at 95 now is too stiff.

I used an EK15 and N12 (the predecessor of the EK15) in an 85 flex and the flex felt similar to the 100 Flex Warrior Covert line. I also have an N10 (2nd from the top in the line before the EK15) in a 95 flex and it definitely feels stiffer than the 100 Flex Warrior sticks. I find it takes more effort to load the 95 flex Sherwood than my 100 Flex QR stick or past sticks like the Diablo. I also had a 90 flex pro stock dolomite in the past that was easier to load than the 95 flex Sherwood. If you liked your 85 flex dolomite then the 95 flex Sherwood is probably too stiff and picking up another E15 in an 85 or even 75 flex isn't a bad idea. It'll definitely be easier to load the lower flex.

33 minutes ago, althoma1 said:

I used an EK15 and N12 (the predecessor of the EK15) in an 85 flex and the flex felt similar to the 100 Flex Warrior Covert line. I also have an N10 (2nd from the top in the line before the EK15) in a 95 flex and it definitely feels stiffer than the 100 Flex Warrior sticks. I find it takes more effort to load the 95 flex Sherwood than my 100 Flex QR stick or past sticks like the Diablo. I also had a 90 flex pro stock dolomite in the past that was easier to load than the 95 flex Sherwood. If you liked your 85 flex dolomite then the 95 flex Sherwood is probably too stiff and picking up another E15 in an 85 or even 75 flex isn't a bad idea. It'll definitely be easier to load the lower flex.

thanks, i think im going to give this a shot, ek15 in 85 flex. my local hockey shop has it on sale for 99.99 so ill try it out

I found that the EK15's I've used personally have felt very inconsistent. The flex point doesn't seem to be the same between them, they feel much softer than 85 flex, and honestly felt like there wasn't any pop to them like other sticks. 

i agree with the pop aspect, not sure if its a flex issue or whatnot, just not as responsive as other sticks. i wonder if going to lower flex would fix this or maybe try the t120. I'm gonna try my old warrior dt1 and easton v9e (both 95 flex) to see what they feel like compared to the ek15

From my experience, Warrior sticks are easier to load up than other sticks. To me, Warriors feel like they're 10 flex lower than their ratings. In addition, for senior sticks, the rule of thumb is chopping one inch off equates to adding 3-5 flex to your stick. So, if you're cutting three inches off, you're adding between 9-15 flex to your stick. As for kick point, low-kick points are for quick releases.

So in your case, IMHO, your EK15 is probably too stiff. After cutting, it probably feels like a 104-110 flex. This can be exasperated because if you're going from a Warrior stick to another brand. Like I said Warriors feel like they're 10flex less, so your 85 flex Dolomite probably feels like a 75 flex in other brands. So  with all these things factoring in, you could be using a stick that feels 29-35 flex stiffer than what you're used to. If you cut your Dolomite like you did with your EK15 then the stick is probably 19-25 flex stiffer than what you're used to.

Any way, I hope I did the math right. :p

7 minutes ago, puckpilot said:

From my experience, Warrior sticks are easier to load up than other sticks. To me, Warriors feel like they're 10 flex lower than their ratings. In addition, for senior sticks, the rule of thumb is chopping one inch off equates to adding 3-5 flex to your stick. So, if you're cutting three inches off, you're adding between 9-15 flex to your stick. As for kick point, low-kick points are for quick releases.

So in your case, IMHO, your EK15 is probably too stiff. After cutting, it probably feels like a 104-110 flex. This can be exasperated because if you're going from a Warrior stick to another brand. Like I said Warriors feel like they're 10flex less, so your 85 flex Dolomite probably feels like a 75 flex in other brands. So  with all these things factoring in, you could be using a stick that feels 29-35 flex stiffer than what you're used to. If you cut your Dolomite like you did with your EK15 then the stick is probably 19-25 flex stiffer than what you're used to.

Any way, I hope I did the math right. :p

supposedly with the newer types of sherwood sticks (ek15 and t120) you can cut up to 4" without the flex being effected, so cutting about 1-2" off of my ek15 I believe had no effect on the flex

5 hours ago, veriluxxx said:

supposedly with the newer types of sherwood sticks (ek15 and t120) you can cut up to 4" without the flex being effected, so cutting about 1-2" off of my ek15 I believe had no effect on the flex

Regardless, my point still stands. 85 flex Dolomite feels, IMHO, 10 flex lighter than other brands, so it feels like a 75 flex. The Ek15 is 95 flex. The potential difference in flex feel  here is still 20 flex. 

8 hours ago, ChrisMolnar said:

I found that the EK15's I've used personally have felt very inconsistent. The flex point doesn't seem to be the same between them, they feel much softer than 85 flex, and honestly felt like there wasn't any pop to them like other sticks. 

Everything about these is inconsistent from what I understand, from durability to feel. I have a feeling they jumped fast in a ultra light, high end zone. Sher-Wood was a top seller for people looking for a bargain while sacrificing very little weight and performance, not sure what happened but we barely see the local brand around here nowadays. I hope they pick up with their new lines and dont disappear into the shadows. 

I switched back to my old easton v9e (100 Flex with also 1" taken off) this morning, ended my scoring drought and scored 3 goals. The difference between the sticks was like night and day. I dont think i'm going back to my ek15 anytime soon :wink:

On 1/9/2017 at 4:42 PM, veriluxxx said:

I'm not so sure I totally believe the 4 inch free flex zone. 

Ive had ek15s and the ek60 and I've cut to the flex free and felt that it was stiffer. 

Either way compared to warriors in similar flex, the sherwoods feel stiffer

ive developed a love hate relationship with my ek60  p28 it's a 55 flex int cut down to the same height as the 55 flex ax1dtlt  w88warrior  

theyre different kick points and I find the ek60 harder to shoot with at times.  I've gone back and forth between the two sticks  I've gravitated to the ek60 even though it feels stiffer  

basically im sure my mechanics are not consistent so I keep thinking it's the stick

i like shooting with the warrior but my passes seem much better with the ek60 because it feels stiffer. 

I also don't totally buy the "flex free zone"  I get my EK15's at 75 flex and cut them down a good 5 inches. I figure by the chart its somewhere between 80ish flex.  It does seem a lot stiffer than a similar True stick that I have.  I like the quick low kick though since my work is around the net.

On 1/9/2017 at 2:55 PM, getthekidthepuck said:

It might have something to do with the weight of the stick, I find sticks that are too light I have hard time loading snapshots and the puck feel is poor.

This has been my biggest problem with the EK15, it's too light for me. I am pretty sure my sweet spot for sticks is 420-450 grams. I am also not a fan of the blade feel.

As someone else said, I don't believe the flex free zone is as free as they say. I just cut mine down 3" last night and it was definitely much stiffer after.