Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

guitarfreek92

Equipment modifications

So as I am slowly making my way through the vast world of equipment I'm beginning a ton of useful equipment mods. And I'm really looking to see what else is out their to make thing work better or easier for everyone. I myself have gone as far as making my own Hal straps and halo straps for my Pads.  Pics would be great as well!!

Haven't done much in the way of DIY. All the mods I've been done have been purchased because most of them aren't worth the time and effort to save a few bucks.

That said it's pretty rare for me to do any mods that aren't reversible.

Mostly just minor alterations and mending.  I've gotten pretty good with a needle and thread over the years.  Replaced some elastic straps when they wore out. Stuff like that.

I have completely rebuilt a Vortek pad, removing 6" of thigh rise, relocated the knee flap,  making the calf wrap more suited for butterfly play, and trimming the boot. 

CA mods have consisted of adding a catcher's chest protection, adding extra bits and bobs to make the arms sting less.

I regularly hike the hem of my breezers.

Speedy stitchers are good. I love mine; I also love the proper needles that Dennis Dombrowski sells. It is curved and can be sharpened. 

I LOVE my G-Form(Thanks JR!) shirt/shorts combo and wear it every game I'm in net. 5 years and still going strong. 

That said, the only mod I've used significantly is the addition of a pro fight strap on the back of my C/A... not using it for altercations, but to help keep my chest protector in place. 

I am going to rehab a set of old Brian's Air Pac pads as soon as I get some toe trims and new straps. These are pretty cool. I haven't decided on hanging these up or using them, as they have plenty of life left (and cost a whole $40).

Rehabs are pretty easy if you have the right tools, which would be a strap puller and a large, curved needle. New toe trims, thigh trims, and straps inject new life into many pads. My mod on these? Possibly a new knee lock, as the old one is sewn onto the pad. Being that these are old school pads that are tight to your leg (though there is evidence of some rotation near the end of this pad's use from a previous owner; that is before they sold these for modern pads!), all straps need to be there. 

I will post pix here AND on Instagram.

7 hours ago, bunnyman666 said:

(stupid image link did not work 😡)

Edited your post with a working image link. No idea why its sideways though. You don't need img tags to post an image anymore. 

EDIT: Uploaded your image to imgur so it would be right side up. Don't use tinypic ;) 

57 minutes ago, IPv6Freely said:

Edited your post with a working image link. No idea why its sideways though. You don't need img tags to post an image anymore. 

EDIT: Uploaded your image to imgur so it would be right side up. Don't use tinypic ;) 

Each forum is different. Ugh.

Thanks for hooking me up!

No pix (yet), but I replaced the boot straps without a strap puller. 

How does one do that? Pull down the buckle side, tape the pointy end of the strap about six inches away from the buckle, and pull it through. Repeat for the holey end of the strap. It lunches some tape, but it is easier than trying to fish it through.

I also added toe straps and buckles along with a protective toe cap (as these are open-toe pads). 

Pix to come when I complete one pad.

I know this thread is old but I had to brag about my mod somewhere. :D I found this old eddy trapper at Play it Again and liked the feel, couldn't buy it so I modified my own trapper. Took out the palm flap part, and filled it with some cotton batting, sewed it up, and velcroed it back in Now it's just like the eddy glove with a squishy part on the palm. Really comfy! It dries faster, feels more snug. 

On 1/11/2017 at 11:07 AM, bunnyman666 said:

I have completely rebuilt a Vortek pad, removing 6" of thigh rise, relocated the knee flap,  making the calf wrap more suited for butterfly play, and trimming the boot. 

CA mods have consisted of adding a catcher's chest protection, adding extra bits and bobs to make the arms sting less.

I regularly hike the hem of my breezers.

Speedy stitchers are good. I love mine; I also love the proper needles that Dennis Dombrowski sells. It is curved and can be sharpened. 

Looking to rebuild the Vortek pad here, just finishing installing the Poison spyder stuff on the jeep. How did you do on chest protection?

Completely disassembled, cleaned, and rebuilt a trapper.

Looking for a way to add something to my pads to make them slide better. Some parts slide well, other parts are worn out.

Got the gunk out of the rubatex in the goalie helmet, then reattached it with new contact cement.

On 5/9/2017 at 11:42 PM, burg02 said:

Looking to rebuild the Vortek pad here, just finishing installing the Poison spyder stuff on the jeep. How did you do on chest protection?

I could have done better, but I would take my Vaughn chesty to all but the most highly skilled shinny or league sessions. I may add even more, especially to the arms.