Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

MD56

$300~ Skate recommendations

Have been on a pair of Alkali CA7's for the last 3+ years. Good skates, had lace bite issues but was able to fix it with some pads. Noticed lately the the boot is starting to get too soft and thinking maybe it's time for a new pair. The CA7s were the first new skates I'd had in a long time, so i don't have a lot of experience to compare to. What I do have is $300 (give or take). 

Im 200lbs, so probably the stiffer the boot the better. My first choice was going to me a Mission DS2, but looks like I'm too late  to the party, everyone is sold out in the common sizes. 

Just looking for a few recommendations. For the sake of argument, let's say anything $400 or less could be in consideration.

Honestly I'd stick with the Alkali. Tours never seemed to last for me and if you're used to the alkali wheel set up you might not want to risk moving to missions or Bauer. 

Alkali also offers a gold bang for the buck in their midline skates too. Just my $.02

If there are Verbero Vortex skates left in your size they're a lot of skate for your money at $229. They're a full one piece boot, the stiffest boots I have ever felt (I don't own them, but I have felt a pair),  addiction wheels and Bones Swiss bearings. If the complete skates are sold out you could by just the boots for $129 and then have the chassis of your choice mounted on them.

10 hours ago, Jamarquan said:

What size are you? Otherwise we can't find anything.

Sorry, I'm a 10.5 US shoe size, normal width. I think that makes me a 9D in most skates. 

10.5 too, actually looking for skates in a similar price range, but for ice. Having never played roller, I don't know much about major roller skate manufacturers except Bauer. I think Mission's Inhaler is the Supreme, but the old DS line is out in 9. Try the NLS if they're the same fit as your Alkalis, or there is a new RPD available for $300.

http://www.hockeymonkey.com/roller/roller-hockey-skates/inline-hockey-skates-senior/alkali-roller-hockey-skates-team-2015-sr.html

http://www.hockeymonkey.com/roller/roller-hockey-skates/inline-hockey-skates-senior/mission-roller-hockey-skates-inhaler-nls-03-sr.html

2 hours ago, Jamarquan said:

10.5 too, actually looking for skates in a similar price range, but for ice. Having never played roller, I don't know much about major roller skate manufacturers except Bauer. I think Mission's Inhaler is the Supreme, but the old DS line is out in 9. Try the NLS if they're the same fit as your Alkalis, or there is a new RPD available for $300.

http://www.hockeymonkey.com/roller/roller-hockey-skates/inline-hockey-skates-senior/alkali-roller-hockey-skates-team-2015-sr.html

http://www.hockeymonkey.com/roller/roller-hockey-skates/inline-hockey-skates-senior/mission-roller-hockey-skates-inhaler-nls-03-sr.html

Yep, there's a Monkey Sports store in the area, plan on heading over tomorrow to try on whatever they have. I also know a guy who's a Verbero rep, he offering me another 15% on top of their already pretty cheap price.

Lots to think about.

23 hours ago, MD56 said:

Have been on a pair of Alkali CA7's for the last 3+ years. Good skates, had lace bite issues but was able to fix it with some pads.

CA's had a narrowish heel, later releases of Alkali's widened the heel by around 2cm's (the last is the same but the boot flares out much more compared to the CA line) but the volume remained the same. So if you have a narrow heel (like me, narrow heel and lots of volume) then anything post CA in Alkali may not be the best fit unless you clamp the skate and deal with the volume. Mission fit more supreme like, the current verbero line fits more like a nexus ergo a wide fit boot. If you like a narrow heel fit like the CA then either buy something like a vapour ice boot and convert it or ask Verbero when their skinni? line will be released or get a custom made VH boot. But if you have a normal to wide heel then you have plenty to choose from, also consider the ccm tacks line.

9 hours ago, Vet88 said:

CA's had a narrowish heel, later releases of Alkali's widened the heel by around 2cm's (the last is the same but the boot flares out much more compared to the CA line) but the volume remained the same. So if you have a narrow heel (like me, narrow heel and lots of volume) then anything post CA in Alkali may not be the best fit unless you clamp the skate and deal with the volume. Mission fit more supreme like, the current verbero line fits more like a nexus ergo a wide fit boot. If you like a narrow heel fit like the CA then either buy something like a vapour ice boot and convert it or ask Verbero when their skinni? line will be released or get a custom made VH boot. But if you have a normal to wide heel then you have plenty to choose from, also consider the ccm tacks line.

Good info, thank you. I'll definitely try some examples on before I buy. I'm not exactly What  he'll size I would be, but I'm assuming it's narrow to normal considering I always thought the CA's we're very comfortable.

Was wondering, has anyone ever bought skates from these sort of odd ball sellers on Amazon? For instance, it looks like I can get a pair of RPD shift+'s for about $280 after tax and shipping. That's quite an it lower then even IW (which is the cheapest of the major retailers. 

Fit question..

Tried on a a couple different RPD's as well as Mission NLS. The RPD Shifts felt about the same as my CA 7s but with a stiffer boot. Good comfortable skate, lots of room in the forefoot and toe cap. 

The Mission NLS3 had super stiff boot but totally different fit, much narrower in the forefoot which I think I liked. Unlike the RPDs, the mission's were pretty snug on my forefoot. Not uncomfortably so, but definitely snug. I like the idea of a narrower and maybe more responsive fit, but not sure if it might cause it to be uncomfortable down the line(?). Considering the'll be baked, maybe a snug fit is the best pace to stat? For comparison, tried the same skate in a EE and didn't care for it, too wide. 

Side note: Lol, just noticed my CA's were a size 10, been in an oversized boot for the last 3 years...

Snug, but not painful with your toes feathering the cap and your heel locked in is the ideal fit. You should also check the depth...search for pencil test on the site for posts on that.

So from what I've tried on so far, if I had to pick "best bang for the buck", i'd probably go with the Alakali RPD Shift+. At $300-350 (depending on discounts) it's hard to beat a full composite quarter w/ the lower package that they offer. I think the only thing that's a draw back for me is the fit. 

That said, I'm still leaning towards pulling the trigger on the NLS3's. Fit wise it seems to jive with my foot, especially in the forefoot. Not a full comp boot, but stiffness wise it's pretty close the the RPD. I also like the fact that it comes with a 76a wheel  (as apposed to 74). 

Plan on going back to the LHS today to try on a pair of CCMs and also the Bauer X600R. Want to make sure I've tried on a little bit of everything before making the final call. 

Food for thought, the newer Alkali are VERY heat moldable.  I think way more so than the CAs you have now.  I had a pair for awhile and found them to be very formable once baked.  Ultimately though, I had awful lace bite issues and couldn't get the heel to lock effectively for me.  So they went to a better home.  So I would probably be focusing most on heel lock and fit there, as I'm sure once baked the Alkali could provide a similar close fit to the Missions in the forefoot.  The only boot I have found to be as moldable is the Easton Mako, which I am in currently, and really enjoying. 

9 hours ago, krisdrum said:

Food for thought, the newer Alkali are VERY heat moldable.  I think way more so than the CAs you have now.  I had a pair for awhile and found them to be very formable once baked.  Ultimately though, I had awful lace bite issues and couldn't get the heel to lock effectively for me.  So they went to a better home.  So I would probably be focusing most on heel lock and fit there, as I'm sure once baked the Alkali could provide a similar close fit to the Missions in the forefoot.  The only boot I have found to be as moldable is the Easton Mako, which I am in currently, and really enjoying. 

I should have mentioned, but I had a pretty bad lace bite issue with the CA's, which is probably part of the reason why I want to try the NLS's. The lace bite was so bad actually that I couldn't even wear socks for a week. Insannnnne how painful a little tendon inflammation can be.

at any rate, after going back to the store I'm pretty much set on the NLS's. A buddy of mine is helping me out with a discount so I'll hopefully get out for under $300. If that doesn't work out for some reason I'll likely fall back to the RPD's.

This has been a fun thread, appreciate all of the input.

For anyone interested, got to skate in the NLS's yesterday and I'm supper happy with them. It's crazy how much narrower they feel, but still totally comfortable. Stiffer boot and better fit, really felt like it gave me an extra step. 

Also swapped the Revisin classics out, 74a is just too soft of a wheel for me. Ended up spending a little more and upgrading to Addiction grip+. Wow, I have never really spent the $ on a high end wheel before, but yea, I get it now. The addictions are a much harder wheel, AND have way more grip then the Grippers I've been using forever. Really felt the extra rebound from those stiffer wheels kick in.

So yah, overall I am totally happy with everything. Can't wait to try them out in league this week.

Hi I m new here, as in to ModSquad..first post/reply so apology in advance if I get a bit off the topic.

Firstly, Amazing forum, just what I need in my recently revived hockey life :)

Anyways to the topic! I would like to know if you got your mission skates baked? or did break them in "Naturally" ? and Are you still happy with them or are you regretting not giving the Akali's a good run??

I actually JUST got these the NLS3s myself this week. They are my first new skates in like 15? years :D ..but I'm having a few hassles with my left skate/foot - which I need to get around somehow. The right skate is a perfect fit. The left foot seems to be cramping. They are a 2E so I really skeptical that they are too narrow. I could not get them baked since I don't have time to visit decent hockey shop (I am in Germany)

So as I said I am new here and still navigating myself around the forum, searching for the correct threads on fitting, baking INLINES at home etc etc so any tips or pointers would be greatly appreciated :)

On 3/15/2017 at 4:04 PM, Djozmo said:

Hi I m new here, as in to ModSquad..first post/reply so apology in advance if I get a bit off the topic.

Firstly, Amazing forum, just what I need in my recently revived hockey life :)

Anyways to the topic! I would like to know if you got your mission skates baked? or did break them in "Naturally" ? and Are you still happy with them or are you regretting not giving the Akali's a good run??

I actually JUST got these the NLS3s myself this week. They are my first new skates in like 15? years :D ..but I'm having a few hassles with my left skate/foot - which I need to get around somehow. The right skate is a perfect fit. The left foot seems to be cramping. They are a 2E so I really skeptical that they are too narrow. I could not get them baked since I don't have time to visit decent hockey shop (I am in Germany)

So as I said I am new here and still navigating myself around the forum, searching for the correct threads on fitting, baking INLINES at home etc etc so any tips or pointers would be greatly appreciated :)

New here too.  I am about to pull the trigger on NLS6's.  My last skate was years ago (Tour TR9000 gold frames).  I tried fitting into a pair of Bauer Vapor x300rs, but it was just too small.  I guess my feet are thicker now.  I'm really hoping the Missions a wider and higher volume skate will do the trick.  I'm also thinking of picking up an ice boot and remounting the gold frames.  I'm just afraid with the age, they might not last long.

Some really good clearance prices right now on Previous Generation Mission skates, including DS1 and DS2 as well as CCM skates such as Jetspeed and Tacks lines. 

For example, you can get a pair of DS1 for $389 where NLS3 are $349.   

The top end CCM jetspeed inline skates are on sale at inlinewarehouse.com for $594. I've been in them for a year and I still love them. Stiff, durable and the heel lock is superb. If they fit your feet, it's worth it. The magnesium chassis weighs almost nothing.

I bought my shifts off amazon.  Ussually even if the price is close ill go with inline warehouse.  But they were alot cheaper and i had gift cards.  They are legit.  I think who ever is selling them has pricing confused with juniors. 

On 3/15/2017 at 2:04 PM, Djozmo said:

Hi, i did have my mission's baked at the shop, and really had zero break in time to be honest. The Mission's fit a lot better than my Alakali's did and I think it's really impacted my skating in a positive way. Check out youtube for video's on how to bake your skates, there are plenty. 

On 3/17/2017 at 11:19 AM, carrierx said:

New here too.  I am about to pull the trigger on NLS6's.  My last skate was years ago (Tour TR9000 gold frames).  I tried fitting into a pair of Bauer Vapor x300rs, but it was just too small.  I guess my feet are thicker now.  I'm really hoping the Missions a wider and higher volume skate will do the trick.  I'm also thinking of picking up an ice boot and remounting the gold frames.  I'm just afraid with the age, they might not last long.

You sure they are wider? Like i said above, the NLS's were a lot narrower than other skates i tried on. 

On 3/17/2017 at 10:08 PM, kmfdm86 said:

The top end CCM jetspeed inline skates are on sale at inlinewarehouse.com for $594. I've been in them for a year and I still love them. Stiff, durable and the heel lock is superb. If they fit your feet, it's worth it. The magnesium chassis weighs almost nothing.

I've had more than a few people tell me never to buy anything Inline from CCM. Maybe the top of the line is a different story. 

20 hours ago, MD56 said:

You sure they are wider? Like i said above, the NLS's were a lot narrower than other skates i tried on. 

I Dunno.  I don't have anywhere to try a pair on.  Inlinewarehouse has the Bauer x300's listed as  D width and low volume.  The mission NLS6 is listed  E width and medium volume, so I'm hoping they are bigger than the x300.  From what I've come up with measuring, I don't need a wide skate necessarily.  I guess my foot is just thicker now ?  Its been 10+ years and some weight gain.  The stock from stores is  really low on size 7 skates it seems.  

Unless they significantly changed the fit, the Mission should fit like a Supreme and the X300's will fit similar to a traditional D width Vapor.  So the Mission should be wider and have a bit more volume.