Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Troubadour

How free are "Flex free zones" really?

I am asking because I've started cutting my sticks a lot shorter, starting with the EK15. I only cut down to about 4" so I should be well within their flex free zone. However, afterwards it felt a lot stiffer. Moving onto my True A5.2 SBP that I just got today, I cut that down to match the EK15. Same thing, felt it before, was a 75 so it was decently whippy. Now it feels about on par with an 80-85 flex. Both of these sticks I am supposed to be within their flex free zone, yet I can feel a change.

To me, the flex free zone doesn't really make sense from a physics stand point. Been trying to do some research on how they work and haven't really found any answers. Anyone got some knowledge they want to share?

Yeas, I find this pretty hard to be explained from physics stand point as well. It does not matter if stick flexes or not along this zone, zone still acts as a lever which will in turn make it seems that stick is flexier prior to cutting it down. 

1 minute ago, JR Boucicaut said:

It's because it's not the advertised flex at full length. 

I am just saying that it is close to misadvertizing. If I am a 6.6 guy and I get 75 flex stick, I expect to have 75 flex stick when I do not add or remove anything to it. Guys who cut sticks, already know that they alter the stice and it is bound to change its properties. Just seems like a scheme that does not really benefit anybody, just makes it even more cumbersome to estimate what one should buy.

These go to 11...

What does "real 75 flex" even mean? 75 feels different across different models within the same manufacturer, and then there are variances from one manufacturer to another.

If CCM generally plays stiffer than Warrior, does that make a Warrior 75 a CCM 68, or a CCM 75 a Warrior 82? And is all of it false advertising? :ph34r:

It is supposed to be the amount of weight at which it flexes to a certain point. So hypothetically a 75 flex, flexes at 75 pounds, 110 flexes at 110 pounds. However, it rarely seems to work this way. 

I mean, I may be completely wrong, but this is the way it was always explained to me at least. Not to mention the guys at Smarter Everyday seemed to prove it was somewhat the case. 

So a 75 flex, can't really be a 75 flex if it is cut 4" even with a flex free zone.

Flex free zone or not, when you cut a stick to make it shorter you are bringing your hands closer together over less length than before it was cut.  Its going to feel stiffer regardless.   Obviously to varying degrees due to the sticks characteristics, as well as how much you chopped off.

Whether or not that changes that actual flex rating is debatable, as not many of us have machines to calibrate that.   However, if companies like Sherwood and True claim that "X" amount  cut off won't change the actual flex rating on the scale, I tend to believe they aren't just making those things up.

2 hours ago, Troubadour said:

It is supposed to be the amount of weight at which it flexes to a certain point. So hypothetically a 75 flex, flexes at 75 pounds, 110 flexes at 110 pounds. However, it rarely seems to work this way. 

I mean, I may be completely wrong, but this is the way it was always explained to me at least. Not to mention the guys at Smarter Everyday seemed to prove it was somewhat the case. 

So a 75 flex, can't really be a 75 flex if it is cut 4" even with a flex free zone.

The amount of force required to bend the shaft 1 inch, measured in lbs. For a 75 flex stick it would take 75 lbs. of force to bend the shaft 1 inch...and so on

Right, but that's a very elementary way of looking at it- things get a bit more complex when you take into account on-ice user experience variables such as kickpoint location, stick construction, and hand positioning.