Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

BeerLeagWMpnd

Super Tacks Compared to Jetspeed

Hello Everyone,

Had some bad luck with skates.  Purchased Jetspeed skates 12/26/16 and top eyelet is pulling out.  Warranty will replace them but they no longer have them in stock in my size. (7.5)  They offered to replace with Super Tacks.  Tried some on at LHS and 7.5 felt super small and tight but the 8 had heel slippage.  The 8, I could just barely feather the toe on the right foot. (Bigger Foot than the left)  After baking and break in I can just barely feel the toe on the right skate with standing in my current Jetspeeds.

Any Suggestions on sizing?

How much room with be added with the baking and break in period?

In a bind here and not sure what to do.  Background info 5'8, 225 lbs.  Play 4 times a week and played over 25 years.

Technically, the length of the current model Jetspeeds in a 7.5 should be the same as an 8 SuperTacks. The new Jetspeed line coming out in the spring will line up with the Supertacks. See the post below from the CCM Product Manager regarding sizing.

The eyelet is pulling towards the tongue. It's not poped out.  The material is tearing and has gotten worst. I don't think the eyelet was stamped in correctly.

I stopped by my LHS again today and measure to an 8. (10.5/11 Nike Free running shoe)  Tried on both the 7.5 and 8 again, 8 feels closer to my 7.5 in Jetspeed.  7.5 in Super Tacks are small.  Zero room and I think if I got hit with a puck in the toe it would be broken right away. 8 feels more comfortable.  I don't think going to a 7 would help in terms of length.  The jetspeed do feel a little better on my feet but with the warranty they aren't going to be an option.

skates that are too big is not good!

Thanks,  any other input would be great.

According to that post, sizing on Super tacks compared to Jetspeeds is .5 different.  You would need to go up .5 a size when switch from jetspeed to Super Tacks.  So a 7.5 in jet would need to be an 8 in Super.  Does this make sense?

I edited my post above. My apologies. 8 is the right size for the Supertacks. The current Jetspeeds are a half size larger than the Supertacks so a 7.5 Jetspeed would equal an 8 Supertack. I had it reversed. You did the right thing by going and getting measured and trying them on. The 8 would be the right size.

Which boot is better for my foot? I have thin ankles/heel but a pretty wide flat foot. I wear supreme mx3 right now when I tighten the lower part of skate it hurts my forefoot somewhat. Want to switch to CCM but not sure what to get supertacks or jetspeed, should i get D or EE? I have no local hockey stores to try on. 

It's soooo tough sizing without trying them on.  I drove 45 mins each way x2 to try and figure it out.

i have a narrow heel and slightly wider toe area.  Jetspeed felt the best but super tacks feel good and hopefully better after baking.

Bauer s180 gave me bad lace bite across the top of the fore foot.  

I am still no solid on if the tacks will work for my foot but out of options.

53 minutes ago, BeerLeagWMpnd said:

It's soooo tough sizing without trying them on.  I drove 45 mins each way x2 to try and figure it out.

i have a narrow heel and slightly wider toe area.  Jetspeed felt the best but super tacks feel good and hopefully better after baking.

Bauer s180 gave me bad lace bite across the top of the fore foot.  

I am still no solid on if the tacks will work for my foot but out of options.

Why didn't you get the jetspeeds ?

I had the jetspeeds but the eyelet tore out after 5 skates.  They are replacing with Super Tacks because they are sold out of jetspeeds in my size.  Jetspeed ft1 should be released in April, so they dwindling down the old model.

54 minutes ago, BeerLeagWMpnd said:

I had the jetspeeds but the eyelet tore out after 5 skates.  They are replacing with Super Tacks because they are sold out of jetspeeds in my size.  Jetspeed ft1 should be released in April, so they dwindling down the old model.

I had a thread just a few weeks back of the same issue but my son's JetSpeeds were over a year old when the eyelet completely tore through the boot. I mailed them back to CCM and they replaced them with new JetSpeeds.

CCM Warranty Department can't get the size for you? Or is your LHS just out of stock?

Seems very odd they would suggest a change from one line to another for a warranty replacement. If the JetSpeed fits your foot best it doesn't seem likely the Tacks line will ever feel as comfortable.

Narrow Heel, medium forefoot.

The current Jetspeed model is starting to be marked down in store with the FT on its way.  I put the new Supertacks 10.5 D on one foot and Jetspeed size 10D on the other foot.  Walked around the store for a good 45 min, in the last 10 years I've not put on a skate that felt this good out of the box, Jetspeed or Supertacks.  I noticed a hair more forward flex in the super tacks but it could have been that the skates were not tied equally as tight top eyelit.  Heel lock was also a hair better in the Supertacks.

Ive tried both the vapor and supreme over the last 10 years, could never really get a excellent heel lock or fit for that matter in either skate.  Vapors are supposed to have a narrow heel however I find the opposite that a Supreme locks my heel in better, vapor is sloppy.  Im back to CCM, they have it figured out with both of these models, the heel lock is incredible if you can get either skate to does fit your foot.  In addition Bauer requires me to Punch out the navicular bone under my ankle most cases both feet, not an issue with either model as well at this point no punching required.  I ended up purchasing the Jetspeed because of price.

Some are going to argue, stiffness to me was not that different between the models.  I own APX2 and Supreme 180s and those are both noticeably stiffer to me than either Supertacks or Jetspeed. The trade off is comfort.  Folks have commented on here that Jetspeed has a softer boot and it does feel less like it when you pick it up and squeeze it on the foot it did not feel flexible to me.  I guess time will tell after i skate in them to see if they break down however I'm willing to take the risk for the price i was able to get the top model Jetspeed.

At the end of the day neither Supertacks or Jetspeed is going to make me a better skater, I'm just looking for comfort and the right fit and I pretty confident I've found it with Jetspeed.  

My 2 Cents.

For sticks, it is a direct-to-consumer warranty process.

With everything else, the retailer starts the process.  So, no, a retailer is not going to fight to get you $900 skates when you didn't buy $900 skates.