Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

jgold47

any bauer hybrid sheild users?

looking for some feedback? Love using a half for sticks and pucks, but not willing to wear one in my games.  had full itech shields back in the day and hated them.  Never tried the hybrid and cant seem to find a lot of threads about them.

thanks

Haven't used it, but I have been using an avision ahead elite lately. I like it a lot. It's a little warm but it doesn't fog or anything. Vision is awesome.

yeah, I've heard good things, but I couldnt wear one. I"m already the worst player on the team, I dont need them chirping at me for wearing that fishbowl.....

I wear an ancient Itech half-and-half, and I like it a lot. It's pretty much a fishbowl too, but I don't care. If someone chirped me, I'd shrug, and just keep playing. Chirping only works when you respond to it. And if you're already the worst player, what have you got to lose?  It's like wearing #99. Only two types of players can wear that, absolute magicians and players with stone hands and lead feet. 

I tried it, it was ok, but since I sweat alot, it was annoying to drop sweat beads onto the shield when I looked down. I much prefer a cage- if the cage is white on the inside (I use the CCM Res 300, white), then the ice fuses with it when you look at the ice to find the puck- pretty ideal. Sure, when I look at players, I see the bars (unless I look at a player in a white jersey), but it's fine.

2 hours ago, jgold47 said:

yeah, I've heard good things, but I couldnt wear one. I"m already the worst player on the team, I dont need them chirping at me for wearing that fishbowl.....

Better to be chirped and chirp back than to use an inferior product. Just saying. Lol.

I looked at the hybrid cage pretty hard but ultimately decided against it because of the weight and reviews that it fogged easily. I had been wearing an Oakley visor and while is was light weight and awesome visibility I had one too many close calls that I took it off. Went with the Bauer Profile III I2 cage (white inside / black outside) and love it.

I use one all the time.

I'd rather have my teeth than look "good" on the ice.

It's all in what you value most. Do you want to be that cool guy out there with a visor that has to go get stitches or expensive dental work at the end of the night when you inevitably take a puck to the face or a stick to the face? or do you want to get on the ice knowing you don't have to worry about that?

I've had two hybrid shields, both of them cracked where the bars connect to the visor part.  I only got between 6 to 9 months use out of each, and the cracking wasn't from any known impacts.  

Now I'm using the Bauer Concept III.  

The hybrid had better airflow and didn't fog up quite as much as the concept III, but was a touch heavier.  I spray turtle wax on my concept III to reduce fogging, which is only a problem when I am on the bench for too long between shifts.  

Maybe it is a regional thing, but I haven't heard anyone get chirped for wearing a bubble at the rinks I frequent.  Even if I did get chirped, 1. who cares and 2. the better visibility is worth it for me personally.  

I used a hybrid shield for a few seasons and ended up ditching it for the full Bauer Concept shield because of the difference in weight. Since then I've switched to a Re-Akt cage since it's less maintenance to keep clean.

I was joking about the chirping thing...

thanks for the feedback. Sound like I just need to keep skating with a cage (ive got an 11K cage on an 8K helmet) and stop switching between a visor at S & P and a cage for games.  i'll look into a different cage with white insides...

what model do folks reccomend

I use the concept iii a havent had any problems - occasionally a little condensation (not fog) near the bottom but I use some anti fog wipes and it takes care of that easily.

nobody chirps in any of my leagues.  A lot of guys wear them actually.  

I use the hybrid. Switched from a visor to this as I took a few sticks and such to the face and I like my vision and teeth :) Anyway, I've had it for over 2 seasons now and haven't had any issues at all. It doesn't fog up on me and has been very durable. I've taken some sticks straight to the visor with no issues. The breathability is excellent and for those that say it's too heavy, I'm not sure that you could even tell once you have it on your head. Again, I switched from a visor so it's going to be heavier no matter what, but I can't say that I've ever actually noticed it or even thought about it once it's on my head. The other benefit of the hybrid is that you can change out the visor if something does happen. This along with the Concept III fogging issue is why I went with this.

I had been using a Concept III and I was having a lot of issues with fogging, even with pledge/anti-fog, etc. I switched to a CCM white Resistance 300 cage and have been really happy with it. The flat bars are pretty minimal and they just seem to vanish when I am playing.

I wear a hybrid, but you can't buy it anymore. It's an old Itech FX50, later renamed the bauer FX50. It's got a bubble, not straight, half shield on top mated to a metal (ti i think) cage on the bottom. Shields pop in and out for easy cleaning and changing. Best full face shield I've ever used. It's a crime they don't make them anymore.

I can't use a cage because my eyes/contact lenses tend to dry out easily, especially in cold, dry air. It's fine with a shield but a cage gives me TOO much ventilation.