Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

proth0303

Smooth stick taping

I searched but couldn't find anything on the topic...  I am struggling to get a "smooth" stick tape job.  No matter what I do I always end up with wrinkles on the back or front.  Is there a secret to this?  Is it related to the quality of tape being used?  I would like to go to a 1.5" wide tape but am concerned that the wider tape would be that much harder to get a smooth tape job?

I guess the ultimate question is... does a smooth tape job matter?

Thanks!

I just taped my son's new stick (Battle Mode, the new kids flex friendly offering) up last night.  I by no means have alot of tape jobs under my belt.  He's only been playing for 3 years.  I've been playing (if you can call it that) about the same.  But...

• Keeping tension on the tape is key. I usually try to use a spare finger to keep pressure on the tape as it comes off the roll
  • Checking your work as you go.  And unsticking the last pass if you need to adjust, before the adhesive starts to set up with more bite.

If you watch videos of the pros doing their sticks, I think in almost every case you'll see both of the above in play. 

Howdy,

46 minutes ago, proth0303 said:

I guess the ultimate question is... does a smooth tape job matter?

I haven't been playing very long, but I've never once put my stick on the puck and thought "holy crap, I can feel a tape wrinkle!"

:-)  So my call is no, it doesn't matter in any way other than satisfaction that it "looks right" to you...

Mark

4 hours ago, marka said:

Howdy,

I haven't been playing very long, but I've never once put my stick on the puck and thought "holy crap, I can feel a tape wrinkle!"

:-)  So my call is no, it doesn't matter in any way other than satisfaction that it "looks right" to you...

Mark

I like a nice clean tape job.  Too much OCD to have a messy one.  But I don't think it matters.  Luc Robitaille is infamous for his lousy tape jobs they were apparently so bad some of this teammates would retape his sticks because they couldn't stand it.  But Luc managed to score a goal or two.

Keep the tape taught and lay down one side at a time while you're wrapping it. If one pass wrinkles, I pull that side up and lay it down again.

It is just one of those things that takes time and practice. There are so many ways to do it, just need to find what works for you :) Personally I hate having any bumps or wrinkles and I think good quality tape definitely makes a difference. 

This is the best "how tape your blade" video I I've ever seen - iTrain Hockey - How to Tape Your Stick

This is a good bare bones example as well (from the 1:30 mark) - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8SlQk8FN4ZI