Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Jeff T

Question on skate insoles.

In my first thread I posted about being back on skates for the first time in over 30 years. I had arch pain in the Jetspeed's I purchased and my local shop exchanging them for a Bauer Extreme wide. Arch pain immediately went away.

The Extremes are much better on my arches but I'm still feeling some discomfort, specifically in my right foot. (I should note that all my skating so far has been "Open Skate" at the rink. Constant left turn so that may have some affect.)

Last night I pulled the insoles out of my Nike Free RN Distance and put those in my skates. It made a noticeable, positive, difference. I was able to skate much longer without my feet getting tired.

At 60, my feet are a little wider and a little flatter than what they were. Should I consider some type of "hockey" insoles or just run with the running shoe insoles?

I would look into Super feet.  Yellow or Blue.  In my opinion running shoe insoles could change the way your foot fits into the hockey boot.  Did your jetspeeds have the custom currex ccm insoles?  I noticed a big difference in those compared to the crappy stock ones.

IMHO whatever is comfortable is what you should go with. Some people need the extra support and padding and it can mean the difference between being able to skate and not. Some don't. 

For myself, I've been talked into buying superfeet at the store the last two pair of skates I've gotten. The first pair, superfeet yellow, hurt my arches like hell and the second, superfeet black, took up too much volume in my skates so I got lace bite. 

In one case I went back to the stock insole. In the other I used an insole from an old pair of runners, and in both cases I was fine. Execept now I have $80 in superfeet that I don't want or need.  

Theres nothing wrong with experimenting but at $40 a pop it can be an expensive experiment. 

I think just listen to what your feet tell you.  

Superfeet offers a 60 Day Money Back Guarantee even if you trim them to fit your skates. Therefore it won't cost you anything to give those a try. Either the Yellow Suprefeet or the Carbon Pro Hockey ones. 

I figure I'll post a little about the insoles I got custom done because I feel like it could shed some light on this. First, a little background. I have Vapor X90's and a high arch. The stock footbed (and just Vapors in general), don't have hardly any arch support and this is why I got custom insoles. That said, one of the issues the guy was telling me about is that most of the insoles that are sold, only cover the heel and a very, very small part of the arch. So you have nothing helping stabilize the front of the foot, just the heel. I've had my insoles in my Vapors now for 2 weeks and 5 skating sessions and I can't even believe how much of a difference it makes. My foot is now supported from front to back and I have ZERO pain or discomfort when skating. 

This is why I think customs are the way to go. Even though you have flatter feet, you still need stability throughout and having custom insoles does exactly that. I could have spent 50-60 bucks on superfeet and probably would have been ok, but now having gone this route, I will be purchasing new ones the next time I get new skates. $150 might seem like a lot, but when you don't have to worry about your feet hurting ever time you skate, it's well worth the cost. A side benefit of these is that it closed up some additional negative space in my boots so I don't have to tie them as tight as I did before and with having the powerfoot inserts in there, it feels like I'm wearing a performance shoe.

2 hours ago, darkhors said:

I figure I'll post a little about the insoles I got custom done because I feel like it could shed some light on this. First, a little background. I have Vapor X90's and a high arch. The stock footbed (and just Vapors in general), don't have hardly any arch support and this is why I got custom insoles. That said, one of the issues the guy was telling me about is that most of the insoles that are sold, only cover the heel and a very, very small part of the arch. So you have nothing helping stabilize the front of the foot, just the heel. I've had my insoles in my Vapors now for 2 weeks and 5 skating sessions and I can't even believe how much of a difference it makes. My foot is now supported from front to back and I have ZERO pain or discomfort when skating. 

This is why I think customs are the way to go. Even though you have flatter feet, you still need stability throughout and having custom insoles does exactly that. I could have spent 50-60 bucks on superfeet and probably would have been ok, but now having gone this route, I will be purchasing new ones the next time I get new skates. $150 might seem like a lot, but when you don't have to worry about your feet hurting ever time you skate, it's well worth the cost. A side benefit of these is that it closed up some additional negative space in my boots so I don't have to tie them as tight as I did before and with having the powerfoot inserts in there, it feels like I'm wearing a performance shoe.

How much volume did your custom insoles take up? I ask because in my Supreme MX3's I have no extra space to accommodate anything thicker than the stock insole. Even with the stock insole I just barely fail the pencil test (in the area of the 3rd and 4th eyelets). 

I would say that it took up about the same as the Superfeet yellow in the heel area and just a little more than that in the forefoot. The forefoot is the crucial part because it provides the stabilization to the ball of your foot. The arch support comes from being molded to your arch so it moves with the contour of your foot. I know that the supreme's have less negative space than the vapors and for me personally, I couldn't wear them because they gave me lace bite on the top of my metatarsal (about 4 eyelets up from the toes). 

That said, now that I have them in I can tie my skates much looser than I did before and still feel like they are nice and tight because they're closer to the top of the boot and it doesn't have to wrap as much. I hope that helps a bit. I feel like this is something you could work out with the place that does the custom insoles.