Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

HarpGuy

Used to use Modano Curves Now am I Screwed?

Hey everyone, 

I played in HS, played Mens League, and coached some, then I moved to a rock in the middle of the pacific ocean and didn't play for 8 years. I am now back in the real world and I need some new sticks. 

I used to use the Easton Modano curve pattern. It is a mild curve, but for me was plenty, and fit me well. When I was in HS we used to put the puck on the front line of the crease (2-3 feet from the goal line) and we would roof it from a stand still, so I do not need help getting my shots up.

I have  a Kane curve on my stick now and it's OK but my passes etc.. tend to flip sometimes. I'd rather miss a shot then throw a bad pass, so this is killing me.  I think some of it is technique. I play the puck a little too far forward in the wheelhouse, but never had the passes flipping problem with the Modano curve. If I have to pull the puck back, then pass it I will lose the time needed to make the play so I'd rather just switch curves instead of getting used to the Kane, which is what's happening. 

TLDR: I do not like open toe curves. 

So what is comparable to the Modano pattern? Have any of you guys used, and appreciated the Easton Modano pattern from a few years ago, and made a switch to a more relevant curve without issue? What curve did you switch to? I will visit the shops but it's not like they let you fire off any shots with the stick before you buy it, and I've got kids to feed. 

Also, one of the best sticks I've ever had was a Reebok Sickick, one of the first models. Does anyone know whether the kick point on that one was mid or low? It was red and black. 

I'm sorry that our Pattern DB isn't functional at the moment, but that curve is still available from every brand.

Bauer = PM9 Larkin

CCM = Duchene

STX = X9

True = MC2

Warrior = W01 Lupul

The only potential issue is that you won't see them on every model.  It's typically going to be found on high-end/possibly mid-high end.

The Reebok Red/Black sickick is a lower kick stick, but not as low as the newer low kick sticks. What stick are you currently using? You shouldn't have any issues passing with a P88. That curve is awesome for passing, so it could be that you're used to a certain type of stick or just that it takes a little bit to get your hands back after not playing for a while. Also, the newer sticks, I feel, are a little more flexible than those of 8 years or so ago, so there's some getting used to there also. Lastly, the blades are way stiffer than before and sometimes just getting used to that can play a huge factor for feel when trying to pass.

I would stay with it and just work on passing at stick/puck a few times and I'm sure it will come back quickly. 

Base also has it which could allow you try your usual pattern with different shafts for varying flex profiles, etc.

5 hours ago, darkhors said:

The Reebok Red/Black sickick is a lower kick stick, but not as low as the newer low kick sticks. What stick are you currently using? You shouldn't have any issues passing with a P88. That curve is awesome for passing, so it could be that you're used to a certain type of stick or just that it takes a little bit to get your hands back after not playing for a while. Also, the newer sticks, I feel, are a little more flexible than those of 8 years or so ago, so there's some getting used to there also. Lastly, the blades are way stiffer than before and sometimes just getting used to that can play a huge factor for feel when trying to pass.

I would stay with it and just work on passing at stick/puck a few times and I'm sure it will come back quickly. 

The P88 is a much higher lie and much deeper curve compared to his PM9. It's not as straightforward an adjustment as the curves might indicate at face value. 

I also don't buy that blades are materially stiffer today. Compared to a Sherwood 5030, sure, but not relative to your average 2006ish OPS. 

19 hours ago, Cavs019 said:

The P88 is a much higher lie and much deeper curve compared to his PM9. It's not as straightforward an adjustment as the curves might indicate at face value. 

I also don't buy that blades are materially stiffer today. Compared to a Sherwood 5030, sure, but not relative to your average 2006ish OPS. 

A higher lie would make sense as to the passes flipping. If the stick is more "straight up" and I am playing it at more of an angle it is going to roll off the bottom of the toe, as opposed to being "in the meat" of the blade as in the days past. 

Telling someone they shouldn't have any issues with ANY particular curve is the real problem. Everyone is different. That's what they make different curves. 

To be fair I am putting shots wherever I want them with ridiculous accuracy with this current curve. 

I didn't think about the lie of the PM9, so Cavs could be onto something their. However, I had the same Reebok as you and as far as blade stiffness goes, all of my current sticks are much stiffer in comparison to that blade. I guess I didn't specify that in my original post, but that's what I was going for. Anyway, good luck with your search, but if you're firing pucks with accuracy on shots, I feel like you can adapt to the blade after a little use and get your passing down. There are options out there, but the P88 is a great "all around" curve and personally, I wouldn't dismiss it that quickly.

You're right, it's very balanced and not that hard to get used to. But I used to be able to put shots wherever I wanted them, AND make clean passes. Forehand and backhand. I will keep working on it. 

The biggest difference might be the rocker of the P88 compared to the Modano/PM9. The Modano has a nice heel and toe rocker; nothing quite as drastic as the E28 or P92, but still more than the P88 and this difference in rocker has to be accounted for in heel to toe passing and shooting.