Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Kiki

Toe Lift for Custom+ Feeling

Hey Guys,

i need your help again. How big of a lift do i have to put on the front tower of a (272mm) lightspeed edge holder to get the same pitch as a tuuk custom+ holder?

thank you

Kiki

Wouldn't it be much cheaper and easier to have the blade profiled for more of a heel pitch rather then having to deal with the rivet work required for adding a shim to the front tower?

1 minute ago, matix218 said:

Wouldn't it be much cheaper and easier to have the blade profiled for more of a heel pitch rather then having to deal with the rivet work required for adding a shim to the front tower?

Maybe he is in the process of changing holders?

Just now, PH_Hockey2 said:

Maybe he is in the process of changing holders?

I figured if he was looking for the pitch of a C+ and was also in the process of changing holders he would just find a set of C+ holders and go with what he is used to (or put his old C+ holders on).  I assume he used to skate on C+ holders and got new skates and wants to feel the same (more heel biased) pitch he was used to.  That is why I recommended blade alterations as it is much cheaper and easier to undo/change if he does not like the results.  If you pay a bunch of money into getting shims installed and the result is either too much or not enough heel pitch you are either looking at modifying the shim (ie paying to have it done all over again) or getting blade profiling done to make it perfect.  Why not just address it with blade profiling from the get go and save lots of time and money?

7 minutes ago, matix218 said:

Actually, no.  

Profiling is permanent - you can't put steel back on.

With a lift, if it isn't desired, it can be removed.

Just now, JR Boucicaut said:

Actually, no.  

Profiling is permanent - you can't put steel back on.

With a lift, if it isn't desired, it can be removed.

But a new set of Bauer steel would cost less then getting shims installed  (at least at the LHS's I have dealt with.)  I was charged 90 dollars for time and materials on a heel shim install from an LHS once, I could have gotten brand new steel for less if they had profiled and I was not happy with it.

Unfortunately, that sounds like you got fleeced.  I'm sorry to hear that.

I charge $15 for shim work.

There is a considerable difference in height from a LS Edge to a Custom+.  Anything more than 1/16" (roughly 1.5mm) I'm recommending a lift over a profile.

i also have an interest in this topic as well.  Asked the question a week or so ago, but didnt draw any responses.  I skate in Graf's and finding good sharpeners by me is not easy.  I dont mind the forward lean, but its just a bit too much for me in the COBRA's.  It throws my balance point off.  I'm generally a skater with a very deep knee bend without the forward pitch on my skates.  Bending my knees deep with a forward pitch feels very unbalanced to me.  I want to experiment with shims on the toe of my graf skates (since they are easy to swap on or off), but i dont know what size to use.  My other question is, if i do put a shim on the front, would that throw anything else out of whack in terms of the profile/radius that I already have on the blade?

Getting custom + is not an option anymore and find someone here who can profile is impossable. I am from europe. So i need to go with shims but i dont know how big they have to be.

23 hours ago, caseyjones said:

i also have an interest in this topic as well.  Asked the question a week or so ago, but didnt draw any responses.  I skate in Graf's and finding good sharpeners by me is not easy.  I dont mind the forward lean, but its just a bit too much for me in the COBRA's.  It throws my balance point off.  I'm generally a skater with a very deep knee bend without the forward pitch on my skates.  Bending my knees deep with a forward pitch feels very unbalanced to me.  I want to experiment with shims on the toe of my graf skates (since they are easy to swap on or off), but i dont know what size to use.  My other question is, if i do put a shim on the front, would that throw anything else out of whack in terms of the profile/radius that I already have on the blade?

No, it won't.  There will obviously be an adjustment period.