Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

BucksAway

Printable sizing guide

Hi,

Does anybody know of a reliable sizing guide that could be printed out to get an approximate size for skates?

Unfortunately in Australia don't have the luxury of going to a pro shop to try on every single skate to get proper sizing without actually paying a fee then a ridiculous mark up.

Little brother grew out of his old skates, jumped into my old skates and they don't fit him properly, getting terrible blisters on his heel and big toe

Thanks

There are a number of things I don't agree with in this video. In particular there is no explanation as to how different models of boot will fit different foot shapes.

Length is easy to ascertain, measure your foot (piece of A4 paper against a wall, heel against the wall on top of the paper, mark straight down where the longest toe ends, measure from edge of paper to mark) then compare to this brannock measurement / ruler.

photo.jpg

But I did have to adjust the measurements for this. I have a 25cm long foot and fit into a size 6D Bauer, 6.5 Alklai, 6D Mission or ice is 6.5 Graf, 5.5D CCM (pre ultra Tacks), 6D CCM ultra tacks. This fit is near on perfect - laces out, foot in boot, toes just feathering the toe cap and there is no space between the back of my heel and the boot. I can easily go to a 6.5 (eg my apx2s and 1xs). But what the video doesn't tell you is to how to buy a boot for your heel shape or volume and this is more important than length, poor heel lock means poor skating. And heel lock out of the box depends on your heel shape, narrow, medium or wide. This can determine the type of skate you will buy, sadly for inlines there isn't anything out there at the moment that suits a narrow heel and a wide forefoot. Missions and Alkalis are quite wide thru the heel. Get the heel size right and then get the boot punched  / stretched if you need extra width. Ideally the volume will work also (search pencil test) but if not this can be addressed other ways with lace extenders, velcro straps, forsberg pads and other techniques, not ideal but it can happen. 

On 2/10/2017 at 6:07 PM, BucksAway said:

Unfortunately in Australia don't have the luxury of going to a pro shop to try on every single skate to get proper sizing without actually paying a fee then a ridiculous mark up.

Wait wait, what you do you mean? Someone charges you a fee to try on a skate? 

As far as a sizing chart, i'd say for boot length you're pretty safe using any of comparison charts that the manufactures put out there. The width is going to be what gets you though. For instance, I was shocked at how much narrower the Mission's were vs say Alkali. I really dont know how you can find the right width boot without trying them on. 

There's no one here in QLD that charges fees to try on skates!

If you're in Brisbane there's 2 notable places where you can try most major models.

In NSW there's also a decent place to try skates on.

18 hours ago, MD56 said:

Wait wait, what you do you mean? Someone charges you a fee to try on a skate? 

As far as a sizing chart, i'd say for boot length you're pretty safe using any of comparison charts that the manufactures put out there. The width is going to be what gets you though. For instance, I was shocked at how much narrower the Mission's were vs say Alkali. I really dont know how you can find the right width boot without trying them on. 

Local shop doesn't but owner is a bit of a dick and trying on and buying online would result in shit im not willing to deal with

Next closest shop doesn't carry much if any stock - 45 minutes away

Next closest charges a fee which is refunded when you buy skates. Introduced it when people would go in, try stuff and buy from the US ( my plan ) 1 hour 15 away

Next only sells CCM, 1 hour 30 away. No charge but a long drive to only try on 1 brand ( going to get him to try on somebody elses CCM's anyway to get a sizing idea )

Will be buying online, even with the shit dollar stuff is cheaper in the US ( clearance stock ) Probably have to go a lesser quality boot, 11 year old and top of the line senior boots doesn't sound like a good combo

What size and boot was he in? Did they fit him well? From this then people here can give some general advice and maybe point you in the right direction.

15 hours ago, Vet88 said:

What size and boot was he in? Did they fit him well? From this then people here can give some general advice and maybe point you in the right direction.

He was in a tiny boot, size 5.5 or 6 i think.

He complained one day saying he was cramping his toes in his skates so I gave him my old ones which were a 7.5. His foot is slightly smaller then mine so I'm sure the size is almost right.

It could just be the skates are molded to my foot shape and they are causing rubbing. He is heading to NZ so trying to get something now so he hwas a few weeks to wear them in before heading over

Sounds to me like the heel pocket is to big. You could try heating the heel pocket and clamping the boot inwards to give a better lock. This might help with the toe issue once the foot stops rolling in the boot. I gather he is coming across for Oceania's?

7 minutes ago, Vet88 said:

Sounds to me like the heel pocket is to big. You could try heating the heel pocket and clamping the boot inwards to give a better lock. This might help with the toe issue once the foot stops rolling in the boot. I gather he is coming across for Oceania's?

The inside of the boot @ the heel is in pretty bad shape so that makes sense. Partly the reason I got new ones and kept them as a backup. I'll get him to try mine next week, they are stiff for me so can only imagine they will be too stiff for him but should help in getting the size. Got a friend bringing in his 6.5 CCM's to see how they fit as well

Yeah he is, was pretty exited when he got selected. Knew he made it during nationals but couldn't say anything ( not officially but was a solid assumption looking at the minimal amount of players they could choose from )

Congrats to him for making it, it's often more about who isn't going, money plays a big part in a non funded niche sport. Anyhow, we'll try to make life uncomfortable for him and the rest of the sheilas heading our way, lol.

Ended up trying on a few different skates, no idea why I never thought about it but took out the insoles and got his foot on it. His foot was clearly too small.

was able to try on a new pair of 6.5 JetSpeeds from a friend, took out the insoles and slightly to small so figured he was somewhere in between.

Was going to get some NS2 on clearance which had 1 left in his size but they ended up selling before could get the money sorted :( Was able to get a pair of RBZ 80 from a few years back for $315 which is pretty good I think, top quality skate which a similar skate these days would fetch $600. Hopefully they fit him perfectly ( according to the size guides they should )

Should arrive tomorrow, perfect time for him to wear them a few weeks before he goes over

The RBZ skates fit wider and longer than the Jetspeeds. When wearing those skates most people had to drop down at least a half size from their regular CCM size and some had to drop a full size. So if he needs a 7 in a Jetspeed lengthwise he'd probably need a 6.5 or even a 6 in RBZ. If you ordered a 7 in the RBZ skates then they may be a bit big. If you ordered a 6.5 then that might be OK if his foot fits the overall profile as the last of the Jetspeed and RBZ are different. There are several threads about the sizing of RBZ ice skates and the RBZ inline skates should be similar in size. Here's one of the threads:

14 hours ago, althoma1 said:

The RBZ skates fit wider and longer than the Jetspeeds. When wearing those skates most people had to drop down at least a half size from their regular CCM size and some had to drop a full size. So if he needs a 7 in a Jetspeed lengthwise he'd probably need a 6.5 or even a 6 in RBZ. If you ordered a 7 in the RBZ skates then they may be a bit big. If you ordered a 6.5 then that might be OK if his foot fits the overall profile as the last of the Jetspeed and RBZ are different. There are several threads about the sizing of RBZ ice skates and the RBZ inline skates should be similar in size. Here's one of the threads:

Yeah, got a 6.5 which should be perfect ( touch wood ), just looked at the sizing guides and noticed the size differences they had up on Hockeymonkey's website

He has a fairly wide foot so the little extra width will work well. Worst case scenario they may fit me. Never really fell in love with my APX