Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

lmooney19

Breaking In New Skates

Hey Guys,

So after years of not playing and getting back into it, i finally dove in and got a new set of skates.  Was on Vapor XVs but they were too narrow so I opted to go to a CCM Ribcore. Got them baked last night and all that good stuff.

Later in the night went and played and I was really concerned with ankle support. It almost felt like I was standing higher and the ankles seemed to be loose as far as flex goes. I wear them with superfeet insoles so it wasnt as thought he sidewalls we bowing in and i was pronating. It also seemed as though I didnt have a full wrap around the upper part of my ankle, above the last eyelet.

Had these things tighter than hell with waxed laces.  I played Juniors and College, but that was a while back. I know theyre fit right, toes feathering the endcap.

Since its been so long since ive broken in a pair of skates, can someone answer this for me.  Will the upper ankle area eventually break in enough to "wrap" my upper ankle more to provide support?  I know it sounds like a crazy question, but I thought id throw it out there.

Thanks

It wouldn't hurt to have them rebaked but this time emphasize how the skate wraps around the ankle, use your hands to manipulate the skate to ensure a proper wrap.

I had a similar issue with my jetspeeds. I ended up removing the superfeet because they lifted my heel too high. I also rebaked. These 2 changes improved the situation.

I had to re-bake my Bauer Supremes to get the wrap better.  I focused more on the heel & upper ankle area the second time I had the skates baked & it made a ton of difference in comfort for me.

8 minutes ago, TwoFour said:

I had a similar issue with my jetspeeds. I ended up removing the superfeet because they lifted my heel too high. I also rebaked. These 2 changes improved the situation.

I thought about this, but I bought them because I pronate so bad, so im worried if i take them out and it fixes the ankle support, then i would sacrifice the pronation issue

You can try warming up the area around the top two or three eyelets with a heat gun.  Be sure to keep it moving and don't overheat the skate.  You want it just warm enough to soften it up a bit.  Then you can tie the top of the skate as tight as you can get it, to improve the wrap.  Also, since they're Ribcors, be sure that the air bladders are completely deflated. 

1 hour ago, lmooney19 said:

Will this eventually fix itself though?  Been so long since ive broken a pair in I can hardly remember.  Just feels so awkward on my edges at this point

From my experience, yes.  I have worn top end Vapors for years now and they have always wrapped around my ankle nicely after they were broken-in.

I had the same issue with my Ribcor's. After the first bake, they didn't wrap as well as I wanted them to, so i had then re baked and now they are perfect. 

I skate in 46k's. Have been in them for a year now. When I first got them I had them baked, and then had several spots punched. I was concerned that re-baking would negate the punches so I never re-baked. I have the factory insoles in mine. After all this I don't have what I would call a good wrap on my ankle. I would say the skates almost provide adequate ankle support for most people. However, my ankles have gotten a lot stronger because of it. The skates do have better ankle wrap and support now than they did 4 months or so ago, but it isn't great. I use wax laces and crank down on my skates above the lace lock.

23 minutes ago, 2nhockey said:

I skate in 46k's. Have been in them for a year now. When I first got them I had them baked, and then had several spots punched. I was concerned that re-baking would negate the punches so I never re-baked. I have the factory insoles in mine. After all this I don't have what I would call a good wrap on my ankle. I would say the skates almost provide adequate ankle support for most people. However, my ankles have gotten a lot stronger because of it. The skates do have better ankle wrap and support now than they did 4 months or so ago, but it isn't great. I use wax laces and crank down on my skates above the lace lock.

Yeah, I got the 46k's too.

I just went through the whole process of getting new skates. I'll spare you the boring details, but I ended up skating in two different sizes and two different models, Supreme S190s and Nexus N9000s. In all cases I had little bit of a hard time with the ankle giving me the same support as my old skates at first. Didn't matter how tight i laced up.

But any ways, things worked themselves out over time. But I did a something  to help speed things along. At home I would put on my skates and leave them on while watching TV or working on the computer. After a little while I would notice the liner would warm up, soften, and the skates would feel loose.  At this point I would take a skate tightener and crank them tighter and put my feet near a space heater.  Nothing too crazy, just enough to warm things up a little. After a few minutes, my feet would start to ache from the skates being so tight, so at this point I'd take them off. I did this once or twice a night over the course of a couple of weeks. I found that helped to work the boot in so it wrapped more.

By about game 6, the skates were near perfect. 

11 hours ago, lmooney19 said:

I thought about this, but I bought them because I pronate so bad, so im worried if i take them out and it fixes the ankle support, then i would sacrifice the pronation issue

The CCM insoles may support your arch without lifting the heel.  Might be worth a shot.

I had the Ribcor's before and had superfeet in them , just broke them in the old fashioned way. It did seem to take a while for that area to break in if you don't want to rebake them I would just wear them at home as much as possible.

After doing some comparisons with my Vapors, I realized theyre just too floppy in the upper ankle area. Ill be taking them back and maybe getting a pair of Supremes.