Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

lmooney19

Any opinions on the Verbero Vortex 2?

I think they're only custom in so far as the colours, tongue and eyelet options. I don't think the fit has changed since the original Vortex skates and you can choose different sizes for the left and right foot, but they're still based on a standard size and not your exact measurements. I have seen, held and tried on a pair of the original Vortex inline skates that someone I know owns. They're one of the stiffest skates I've ever held and are quite light. The fit is wide from front to back, but also shallow. Think Nexus width, but Vapor depth.

I have a narrow heel and wide forefoot and the pair I tried on was about a half size long for me and already baked to someone elses foot (so it may not be a completely accurate impression), but it was comfortable for me in the forefoot, but too wide for my heels.

I believe they're coming out with another skate model  this year that will have a more contoured fit. If the Vortex fit works for you and they have your size in stock in the originals then I'd just grab those for an even lower price. In my opinion it's only worth paying extra for custom if the skates are built around measurements, scans and pictures of your feet - colour, eyelet and tongue options are nice, but fit should be the primary concern.

Yah,  seeing as my current options are Supreme 170s and Nexus 8000s, for the price and materials, these look to be a total option, especially when you factor in the 15% off coupon. The carbon sidewalls also make me think they wont break down nearly as quick as the 2 models i posted above. I have seen the new model Cypress online and the design looks amazing. Also seems like theyve been testing them since the middle of last year (based on their instagram feed) which gives me hope that they will be a very well thought out product.

And yes, i realize they arent "custom" as far as foot shape, but these still look like a really solid product for sub $300 (assuming the carbon weave they use is durable).

They're extremely stiff and I do think they'd hold up for a while. If the Vortex fit works for you then grabbing the older model for $199  is the best value, but if they're sold out in your size then the Vortex II for under $300 is still a solid deal. If the fit doesn't work then it's better to go with something else or wait for the Cypress (which may or may not fit).

Yeah, i emailed them asking about sizing and also inquired about if it would be wise for me to just wait for the Cypress if it is coming out sooner than later.  They have yet to respond.

Well, if it helps, I wear 8EE Easton Mako skates and tried on an 8.5D Verbero Vortex. To me the skates felt wider overall than the Makos and about a half size longer; so the length seemed to be on par with the Makos. I can fit into a 7.5EE Supreme or Vapor or 7.5D Nexus (although none fit as well as the Makos), but measure an 8 on both Bauer and CCM/Reebok Brannock devices. An 8EE CCM SuperTacks seemed to be the best fit when I tried that line on, but still narrow in the toe box for my foot (I also tried the 7.5EE). In older CCM skates I could squeeze into 7.5EE in the CL and 7EE in the RBZ, but neither were a great fit for my foot (demoed both briefly, but did not wear either for an extended time).

The Verbero sizing chart on their site suggests that you'd go a half size up from Bauer and a full size up from CCM (it was likely made before the 2016 Tacks line - which is now supposed to fit similar lengthwise to the Bauer skates): https://www.verbero.com/pages/size-chart

Based on my trying them on and my experience with other skates here's my best guess on sizing for length only. I used 7.5 as the base size for the other skate models:

7.5D Nexus, 7.5EE Vapor or Supreme = 8D Verbero

7.5 Mako = 7.5 Verbero

7.5 CCM CL = 8 Verbero

7.5 CCM RBZ = 8.5 Verbero

There's been debate on this and other boards in the past regarding Bauer EE vs D length. Some people claim that a EE is slightly longer than a D and others believe they're the same length, but feel longer because the foot is compressed and elongated in a D width. I do know that I measure an 8 on most Brannock devices, but the length of 7.5EE Bauers seems good (but is not a perfect fit otherwise). I also know Bauer goes up a holder size for EE width half sizes vs. D width.  

On 2/18/2017 at 5:53 AM, IW Team - Chase said:

Bauer EE skates feel longer because they have a wider heel pocket, which lets the heel sit further back in the boot even though it is the same length as the D.

I had this debate a few years ago which led me to hauling lots of Bauer skates out of boxes and measuring them up. I measured sizes 6 thru to 12.  The footbeds of an EE skate are around 2mm longer than a D. I then made up an internal measuring rod (threaded rod with a shaped toe and heel cap fitted on it and I could wind the 2 apart until they rested firmly in the front and end of the boot) and this showed the EE was longer internally than a D. Admittedly this was done 3 years ago but my feet still fit recent models the same in terms of length so I'm assuming the length of the lasts has remained the same.

On ‎17‎/‎02‎/‎2017 at 3:21 PM, lmooney19 said:

Im most curious to know if the "Snap On" tongue effects the fit in the toe box area.

That should only reduce negative space above your toes and should not effect width or length.

On 2/18/2017 at 8:24 PM, althoma1 said:

That should only reduce negative space above your toes and should not effect width or length.

Is there any metal exposed below where it snaps on?  I suppose im asking if youd feel your toes rubbing against it.

I have not used the skates, but did try them on and did not feel the attachment point at all. I believe it's just the felt tongue material above your foot and even that wasn't touching my foot. I view it as similar to the Mako skates where the tongue goes right into the cap instead of being sewn even with the cap - I have Mako skates and the tongue is closer to my feet, but still doesn't touch them.

Someone who actually owns and uses the skates can ideally answer your question, but I'm pretty sure you wouldn't get any rubbing.

Hi guys, the button on the tongue is completely covered by felt or Lycra depending on which style you choose so there's no rubbing. The tongue does remove excess space in the toe cap but does not effect the length or space in front of the toe. 

Hope this helps. 

I bought a pair and love them.  My left foot is 1/2 size smaller than my right so I actually have two different size boots and both fit really well.  It's a full carbon boot so you can bake it and really mold it to your feet.  I took a page out of the VF/True process and baked them a couple times using clamps to mold the boot to my foot.  Again stealing from a VF fitting video I taped wadded tissue paper to any hotspots on my feet and voila, after baking and clamping all the hotspots disappeared.  When speaking with Brandon at Verbero he told me that you can bake them infinitely more times than regular skates because they are a full carbon boot and that you can safely skate on them once they are cool (vs. 24 hours normally).  I had supreme mx3's that I think were probably a skooch wide for me but I sold them because these skates far surpass them FOR ME in fit and performance.  I threw lightspeed edge holders and Step Blacksteel on mine for convenience and they are amazing.  I figure I get 80-90% of the custom fit for less than half the price of a VF/True skate.  

On 2/16/2017 at 12:04 PM, lmooney19 said:

Am strongly considering a pair since a custom skate for $350 sounds great.

Anyone have any experience with these?

Thanks

I just received an email from Verbero, they are having a sale going on right now . They have the vortex $130 and the cypress pro custom $899 and cypress for intermediate  $130  in the sizing I didn't see wide  . I heard they run wide  . 

On ‎11‎/‎21‎/‎2017 at 2:09 AM, JDhouston said:

Other that the choice of colors. Is there a difference between Vortex and vortex 2?

The original Vortex felt like it had Nexus width, but a shallow Vapor depth. From what I've read they increased the depth on the Vortex 2. They also changed the lacing system (they go into more detail on the lacing on their site).

5 hours ago, Playmakersedge said:

I just received an email from Verbero, they are having a sale going on right now . They have the vortex $130 and the cypress pro custom $899 and cypress for intermediate  $130  in the sizing I didn't see wide  . I heard they run wide  . 

The Vortex skates are wide. I believe the new Cypress model has a different fit and may be narrower.

I don't know much about the skates  other then there site.....  as a power skating coach and conditioning coach, and sharpener:  I get asked constantly, what kind of skates should we use , equipment etc .  I reached out to Verbero and explained what I do and what I want to eventually have for working with players.  I asked them to sell there product,. You know this giant guy in a warm up suit gloves, hat and sticks and participate in my advertising on the boards. I have my two local close rinks that are going to put my logo and sponsors on prime spots on the boards. 

My goal is to have a facility:  with 40 × 40 synthetic surface,  next to that 4 shooting areas, next to that   stretching and reaction speed, then agility, then strength,. On the other  side 20' digs with progressive weight ,it gets lighter toward the finish.   Skating conditioning next using a machine I invented,  then sauna  .  Also sell skates, sticks,laces,gloves  .     I want verbero to help me succeed.    To get a huge body to what it did took intuitive training.   . I wish they would put stock in me . 

On 2/16/2017 at 12:04 PM, lmooney19 said:

Am strongly considering a pair since a custom skate for $350 sounds great.

Anyone have any experience with these?

Thanks

Hey, I think the skate looks well made . My understanding of the custom part is : a foot tracing, and the profile of the foot tracing. They have sheets to print out  .   Oh off the shelf they aren't showing any wide sizes . . If you could ware ones off the shelf theyare having a sale  for 130 Or 139 shipped with shadow steal blades  

The Vortex II custom options revolve around choosing colours, tongues and from stock sizes for each foot (eg. 9.5D for the left and 10D for the right ect.). They're not build off tracing like VH/True, Bauer or CCM offerings. The print out sheets are to give you an idea of the sizes to ask for since they aren't widely available in stores to try on.

The original Vortex skates are being blown out at a low price, but the sizing is very limited at this point. From trying on a pair, the D width already fits wide in that model (now, the pair I tried on was a half size too long and baked to someone elses foot, but that was my impression). It felt wide like a Bauer Nexus, but was shallower. The Vortex II is supposed to add more depth and owners of that said they also tightened up the heel a bit - I have not worn those.

The new Cypress models are a different fit. I don't know a lot about them, but believe they used a more contoured last (narrower overall).