Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

six501

Stick recommendation?

I'm about 5' 7" 160LB and have been using quite a few sticks. I am trying to work more on my snap/wrist shot than anything. Really like the PM9 curve but am down for something new. I have the TC1 curve on my 5.2 senior stick but I cut it down and it seems too stiff for me. I am at a standstill with what to use. I have a True 5.2, CCM 47K, True Xcore 9. I just like using new sticks. I want a low kick point and probably 65-75 flex. I cut down my sticks to collar bone area but might go back to regular intermediate size, I am more comfortable playing with it. Maybe the 88 curve or something else? Lots of passes from me. Money isn't an issue. 

34 minutes ago, six501 said:

I feel like I don't see much about Easton sticks these days. Anyone like this one?

No, okay stick, nothing to rave about. Youd have to be crazy to pay 300$ for it, much better offerings at that price point and lower. Plus it is a mid-kick stick, no clue why he suggests it. 

If I were in the market for a new low kick point I'd definitely look at the Warrior QRL. 

Move used the 1X and it's nice, but grip is a must for me. 

Its all personal preference though. 

54 minutes ago, six501 said:

I feel like I don't see much about Easton sticks these days. Anyone like this one?

That's probably  because they're Bauer now lol

Interesting that you said you want low-kick sticks , but the True sticks are mid-kick.

I haven't tried the QRL, but I did use the QR1.  It was a nice stick, the blade felt good.  But I couldn't load it at all, even in 75 flex.

The only low-kick stick I have ever been able to load is the '16 1X.  I can flex it even on quick wristers, snaps, and passes.  But the release is still really quick.  At your size, I think the only sr stick you'd be able to flex is a 77 1X.  P88 is listed as a lie 6, but it's really close to a lie 5.  Warrior's W88 was a little higher.  I'm a passer first, and use P88 for the consistency and amount of blade on the ice.

8 minutes ago, psulion22 said:

Interesting that you said you want low-kick sticks , but the True sticks are mid-kick.

I haven't tried the QRL, but I did use the QR1.  It was a nice stick, the blade felt good.  But I couldn't load it at all, even in 75 flex.

The only low-kick stick I have ever been able to load is the '16 1X.  I can flex it even on quick wristers, snaps, and passes.  But the release is still really quick.  At your size, I think the only sr stick you'd be able to flex is a 77 1X.  P88 is listed as a lie 6, but it's really close to a lie 5.  Warrior's W88 was a little higher.  I'm a passer first, and use P88 for the consistency and amount of blade on the ice.

Yeah thats why I'm looking at intermediate 70flex QRLs right now. True sticks is just me throwing money to try new things, hence me wanting to try something else. Intermediate are good height for me without cutting. I prefer that height over cutting to collar bone. 

1 hour ago, icewalker_bg said:

No, okay stick, nothing to rave about. Youd have to be crazy to pay 300$ for it, much better offerings at that price point and lower. Plus it is a mid-kick stick, no clue why he suggests it. 

I glossed over low kick in the original post. My bad. 

In that case, RibCor or QRL, and the Stealth is still around on HockeyMonkey.

3 minutes ago, icewalker_bg said:

Agreed, RibCor are great sticks, and blades dont explode on the 3rd shot like RBZ/SuperTacks

Have there been issues with the RBZ sticks? I heard about chipping issues on some of the older models, but didn't realise there was an issue with the stick breaking.

6 minutes ago, puckpilot said:

Have there been issues with the RBZ sticks? I heard about chipping issues on some of the older models, but didn't realise there was an issue with the stick breaking.

I have broken 2 of them, brand new sticks (original RBZ and superfast) after 1h or 2h of ice time. I very rarely break sticks and some sticks that i have over a year old.

I have seen junior/aaa players go throught two / three sticks per shinny session. 

You can read reviews, some like it but also a lot of bad reviews about how fast they break. 

I cannot speak about the new Revolution, but i avoid them unless it is a very good deal

53 minutes ago, icewalker_bg said:

I have broken 2 of them, brand new sticks (original RBZ and superfast) after 1h or 2h of ice time. I very rarely break sticks and some sticks that i have over a year old.

I have seen junior/aaa players go throught two / three sticks per shinny session. 

You can read reviews, some like it but also a lot of bad reviews about how fast they break. 

I cannot speak about the new Revolution, but i avoid them unless it is a very good deal

Dammit. Just ordered a 260,

1 hour ago, icewalker_bg said:

Yikes. I wonder if has anything to do with their stiffer hosels and blades?

22 minutes ago, puckpilot said:

Yikes. I wonder if has anything to do with their stiffer hosels and blades?

Maybe, I was wondering if it was because of the lack of foam.

Yes, personally, for sticks, I would shoot for an intermediate Warrior QRL, or a Bauer APX2 or '16 1x. Both have great blade durability, and very quick release on wristers and snappers. You can literally flex the living day-lights out of them. Also, I would take a glance at a intermediate Sher-Wood Rekker Ek60. They are great for passes and have a nice low-kick point. I also find saucers really flick nice off of these. LIE is generally around 5/5.5 for these. 

I can get a solid deal on a QRL in the perfect length curve and flex from pro stock hockey but a lie 6 instead of the 5. Think I could just learn to adjust? 

I went for it and ordered. Will see what happens, another stick joins the growing collection.