Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

HarpGuy

Profiling in NYC area? Other than Westside Skate

I used to have Pro-Stock skates. They were great, but got old. I ordered new Jetspeeds. Those are great but the profile is different than what I was used to. 

The first two times I stepped on the ice I felt like I was going to fall backwards. Not interested in diagnosis of why that happened, but I felt it again the last time I skated during a transition, and realized I had to bite the bullet and get my blades profiled. 

Is there anywhere other than Westside Skate & Stick? I have been to Noicings site and that is an option, so is westside for that matter but they are expensive. 

I live in Westchester, and work in NYC and Stamford so anywhere along that route that does a good job would help. 

Not really looking for Jersey unless it is close to NYC as well. 

If someone would tell me Bob Peck's is the best or something I would be stoked. 

I asked at PureHockey in New Rochelle and the kid had no idea what I was talking about. It's sad really since he had just sharpened my skates, and I love that store. 

Is there anyone who does not work at a Hockey Shop that has the equipment, and expertise to get it done I wouldn't mind dropping it off at Joe's Garage. 

1 hour ago, HarpGuy said:

I used to have Pro-Stock skates. They were great, but got old. I ordered new Jetspeeds. Those are great but the profile is different than what I was used to. 

The first two times I stepped on the ice I felt like I was going to fall backwards. Not interested in diagnosis of why that happened, but I felt it again the last time I skated during a transition, and realized I had to bite the bullet and get my blades profiled. 

Is there anywhere other than Westside Skate & Stick? I have been to Noicings site and that is an option, so is westside for that matter but they are expensive. 

I live in Westchester, and work in NYC and Stamford so anywhere along that route that does a good job would help. 

Not really looking for Jersey unless it is close to NYC as well. 

If someone would tell me Bob Peck's is the best or something I would be stoked. 

I asked at PureHockey in New Rochelle and the kid had no idea what I was talking about. It's sad really since he had just sharpened my skates, and I love that store. 

Is there anyone who does not work at a Hockey Shop that has the equipment, and expertise to get it done I wouldn't mind dropping it off at Joe's Garage. 

i THINK you could get it done at Pure Hockey in Norwalk. Also there is a shop in Darien Ice Rink, Blueline?, that is supposed to be a pretty solid shop. Other than that, not to sure.  Definitely would hit up those two shops tho, they seem to know their gear pretty well.

The only time I would go to PureHockey in Norwalk would be to MAYBE to buy a stick, as they have a ridiculous assortment, but other than that, no thanks. Not happy with that store at all. Long story and I don't want to slander the store, but I don't trust them at all. 

West Side and maybe Peck's would be the only shops I would trust to do that work and do it right.  And I'm a beginner, but have had less than stellar experiences with all of the other shops in the area.  Can I ask why you don't want to use West Side?  By far the best shop I have found in NY and CT.   

Their pricing is a little high. It's still an option, because I believe people should be able to pay for something to be done right, and not worry about it, but I also have a wife (CFO) kid etc.. I am going to call Peck's and see what they say. 

West Side is pricey at times, so I get that.  But I've never found their work to be anything less than excellent.  And I'm a family man too, so understand finding the balance.  Try Peck's, see what they say, only shop in Westchester/CT I would trust to do it.  I've got a shop out here in NJ I'd recommend, but that wouldn't make sense since you have at least 1 good option way closer and/or on your normal commute. 

18 minutes ago, HarpGuy said:

The only time I would go to PureHockey in Norwalk would be to MAYBE to buy a stick, as they have a ridiculous assortment, but other than that, no thanks. Not happy with that store at all. Long story and I don't want to slander the store, but I don't trust them at all. 

Ill agree with that. Its basically a bunch of local JR players working there, shooting the shit and kind of helping. Went to buy a pair of skates and the guy told me "unless you go for the 1N or APX2, any of the skates are just going to fall apart on you." i just kind of laughed and said "i told you there is no way im spending that much money today." He proceeded to bring me a pair to try on just so i could feel how they felt... :dry:   The manager kind of comes off as a dick, but who knows. I had a coupon from the site, and even though it said online only, i figured they couldve at least given me a little percent off my skates.  They said i was shit outta luck.  

And $30 for a skate bake is insane. Only got it done because i bought a pair of skates.

The one thing i do like though is the 30 day return policy on skates.  I bought a pair, had them sharpened and baked and skated in them for a game.  Didnt like them so I returned them later on, no questions asked. That was pretty nice.

Also, yes, their stick assortment is crazy and they do reduce the price on them pretty well from time to time. Also have a pretty solid assortment of pro stock and custom gloves as well. Although, when i went to get a helmet, they only had about 4 mediums in stock and they were all premium models, which was odd. Hit or miss i guess.

1 hour ago, lmooney19 said:

i THINK you could get it done at Pure Hockey in Norwalk. Also there is a shop in Darien Ice Rink, Blueline?, that is supposed to be a pretty solid shop. Other than that, not to sure.  Definitely would hit up those two shops tho, they seem to know their gear pretty well.

Yes. Been to Blueline, the guys there are great. I sell my skates to them every year, get a nice discount on a new pair with a bake and sharpen thrown in. 

Pure Hockey is ok, went there last weekend because there's a lacrosse store built into it and I needed new gear.

There is a BlueLine in Westchester as well.  I would avoid personally.  Not sure about the CT store. 

I bought my first pairs of skates from them (total beginner, they had used skates, so...) and they did the same "what size shoe" thing.  Had me in skates at least 1 full size too big.  Finally I wised up and went elsewhere for skates that fit.  We were also using them for sharpenings for the family and we had a bunch of bad ones (inside edge ground off, etc.).  Nice guys, but I'm not paying for good conversation. 

22 minutes ago, krisdrum said:

There is a BlueLine in Westchester as well.  I would avoid personally.  Not sure about the CT store. 

I bought my first pairs of skates from them (total beginner, they had used skates, so...) and they did the same "what size shoe" thing.  Had me in skates at least 1 full size too big.  Finally I wised up and went elsewhere for skates that fit.  We were also using them for sharpenings for the family and we had a bunch of bad ones (inside edge ground off, etc.).  Nice guys, but I'm not paying for good conversation. 

I've done pretty well with the Darien CT store, they have a good selection of skates, unless you want RibCors.

I would still go to westside, you get what you pay for in this case. As for pure hockey in norwalk, i've never experienced anything like these stories mentioned above and have always had good service there.

To be fair we're all human and I have days where I just do not feel like doing my job, and I make mistakes frequently at work so I shouldn't be so aggro against the entire store over one employees bad hour or whatever.  

2 hours ago, HarpGuy said:

To be fair we're all human and I have days where I just do not feel like doing my job, and I make mistakes frequently at work so I shouldn't be so aggro against the entire store over one employees bad hour or whatever.  

Yah, some guys there are great.  I just get the feeling like they accommodate more to the richer clientele with kids than the average hockey guy. 

18 hours ago, SaveByRask said:

I would still go to westside, you get what you pay for in this case. As for pure hockey in norwalk, i've never experienced anything like these stories mentioned above and have always had good service there.

Westside has a great reputation.

I do see where you are coming from on this: from the Westside web page:

Our Costs for Custom Skate Blade Profiling w/Custom ROH Sharpening using The Maximum Edge Profiling Process:

Player $ 75 – Custom Profile w/Custom ROH Sharpening

2 hours ago, DarkStar50 said:

Westside has a great reputation.

I do see where you are coming from on this: from the Westside web page:

Our Costs for Custom Skate Blade Profiling w/Custom ROH Sharpening using The Maximum Edge Profiling Process:

Player $ 75 – Custom Profile w/Custom ROH Sharpening

Wow, i had no idea profiling was so expensive.  Is that a normal price?

47 minutes ago, lmooney19 said:

Wow, i had no idea profiling was so expensive.  Is that a normal price?

Hell no.  It's 3x more than what we charge in my store ($25.)  M-E shops around here charge $30 I believe.

But if he can get it, good on him.

Westside is a good shop, it's in the middle of Manhattan so you're paying a NYC premium in there too. I get my skates sharpened there, easier to drop them off/pick up before/after work, because with late beer league games it's difficult to get to the rink pro shop when it's open. 

11 minutes ago, DarkStar50 said:

I've been to WSS&S, and had my skates sharpened 3 times.  Never did they ask me my skill level, height, weight, or any of that.  I did up front tell them the hollow I wanted so maybe i jumped the gun on them before they were able to ask the question   all three times and it felt fine afterwards.  I've also used them to drop copper rivets into the backs of my towers at all rear points, and replace an eyelet. 65 bucks later...  All work was done well, and their location was close to my office at the time, so i paid for the convenience, since not having the time to get to the rink 10 mins from my house.  
That said, when i CAN get to my local pro-shop, i look for @DarkStar50 but rarely find him there when i am.   The rest of the crew always do a bang-up on my edges.  :)  (gratuitous plug for my Ice House pro-shop)

I've been in CCM's my whole life minus a short stint on Langes as a kid, so i've never really looked into, nor thought/knew that was an option for the longest time.

GAB, I see you on Friday nights at Sport-O getting off the ice with the NR kids when my guys are getting on at 6:20. Thanks for the kind words.

1 hour ago, DarkStar50 said:

GAB, I see you on Friday nights at Sport-O getting off the ice with the NR kids when my guys are getting on at 6:20. Thanks for the kind words.

and you never yell out HEY BEARDO!  HAHA XD.   yeah, that was the LAST week of L2S, now on to bigger and better things  one Mite ready to wheel, snipe, celly, and one reluctant Squirt. 

are you coming up to the the NRYHA Rangers assist game???    theres a FEW terminal guys playing.  

Whitie Bensens in West Haven (a bit further up the road in CT, exit 42 on 95) or Wesco in the Danbury area. 

3 hours ago, CTB said:

Whitie Bensens in West Haven (a bit further up the road in CT, exit 42 on 95) or Wesco in the Danbury area. 

whitie's only has two people i would let touch my skates, i've had a few problems with others there ruining my profile.

I've never had any problems with them but I could see it happening, some of their guys really are top notch others sometimes seems like they work there just to get discounted gear.