Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

hawkeyfan

2017-2 pc setups:Shafts???

Alright.  Been a 2 peice set-up player and my boy has been for years (although he still has a 1 pc covert backup).  He is due to move up.  I have extended his INT. Shafts and I think its time (he's 5'10 140#).

He has played warrior for 6 years.  With the Dynasty HD1T shaft lines going on close out and not knowing the future... I picked up (2) 75 flex shafts and when they came in...they are 3 inches shorter than the older Dynasty AX1T line and they appear a little stiffer too.

Can anyone provide an update on where shafts are heading in 2017 ( I know they are a dieing item) with the few makers (True, Warrior, Bauer, Base) who make shafts and blades still? 

I cringe when I talk with other dads who are going through snapped 1 pc sticks at a rate of 1 every 45-60 days...

Im curious too.  Within two years they all but disappeared.  There are alot if guys that use them for outdoor roller hockey too.

Yes, one-piece composite sticks tend to break much easier than two-piece wooden/composite stick.....depending on the amount of physical abuse they under-go. If you would like a new warrior two-piece on 2017......it doesn't loo so good.:blush: Warrior has not yet created any 2017 two-pieces far....check out the Sher-Wood T85 Gen. II, if you're looking for something you can really flex, and is super durable. Also check out BattleMode. It is a new, private hockey company that (in your case) offers a 60 flex. Even though it is a 60 flex Jeremy Rupke,  (Hockey Movement by How-to-Hockey) in his review, (he is co-owner) stated he uses a 80 flex, and because it is shorter offers a harder flex for bigger players. Your son could probably really wip it. It is also made 100% pure carbon, offer wonderful durability. Just look at his video trying to break a 17.5 flex. He couldn't! Even at that flex! It is one-piece, but it offers great durability. Also take a look at Graf....they offer awesome durability too...

8 hours ago, hawkeyfan said:

I cringe when I talk with other dads who are going through snapped 1 pc sticks at a rate of 1 every 45-60 days...

I guess that's why aluminum shafts died off. I still have a 30 year old Easton aluminum that I pull out a couple times a year, just to see the looks I get from the young guys.  They think it's funny..... Until I let a couple rockets fly! :)

Other than BattleMode, I would say True or Base are you best bet. I would go True because they are a much, much bigger company than Base and own all of their factories so their quality is top notch. On top of that, their consistency is really good too. They are making huge strides in the market and I can only see them becoming bigger as more NHLer's are using them.

I recently ordered a couple of Base blades and am very pleased with them. I haven't used them long enough to comment on their durability. The Base blades pair well with both of the high-end, tapered shafts that I have them in (R2XN10 and Combat 52Cal). They have a great selection of patterns. I will order more when the time comes. 

I have a True 6.0 tapered shaft as a backup and really like it, too.

I've been using Base tapered blades for the past two years, and I really like them.  As sickwilly mentioned above, they have a great selection of patterns, and you can choose the blade finish and stiffness.  

I prefer the two-piece set up because I am much harder on blades than shafts.  If/when my blade goes out, I'm only out about $60 to replace it.  

I recently got a 75 flex True tapered shaft, and it is great.  The only downside is it is significantly whippier than my 77 flex apx2 tapered shafts.   

Giraffe,

Thanks for the input.  I lucked out and found a LHS (An hour away) that has picked up TRUE this year.  I would say on their 1 pc sticks the 75 flex will be where I think it needs to be to order a shaft for my skater.

NOW...I am concerned with availability of TRUE 2 pc items.  Monkey appears to be moving away from 2 pc and we'll see about Icewarehouse

So...An odd update of sorts...Returned from Spring Break...But trying to plan ahead and avoid any missed deliveries...I decided to wait on ordering anything.  Get back and looked at IW and they where out of stock on 75 flex True Tapered shafts (Darn it) and out of Righty Blades...

I'm concerned that 2 pcs are dead...Then I meander over to HM website and amazingly find that they now have some 75 flex True Tapered Shafts in stock and some Righty blades ( I had Emailed HM and they could'nt pin down any information on this stuff just a few weeks back).

In a half panic I ordered a new set-up of the 75 flex with a TC4 blade.

This is something I had eyeballed a year ago for my boy, but we went through a stretch of making sure his team was gonna actually play this year (and they did) Our Goalie traveled up from Lexington KY to Chicago for our games.  But along the way he spent another year with his extended INT. Sticks.  We will look at transitioning him over to the Sr. Sticks this summer

In general I would recommend a standard shaft and not tapered. Tapered blades can be much harder to find. And unless you use a relatively popular pattern I would completely forget 2 pieces.

I've been using a two pieces for the last 20 years and when I find a decent price on a blade with the right curve I'll buy a half dozen (or however many they have). I go through blades with some regularity, but have only broken aluminum shafts (though I usually get a new shaft every 3-4 years).

Here's the RUB...I bought into the system for my boy.  So we went with Warrior as we found their sticks to be what we liked and that set us up for the tapered blade/shaft for INT flex...BUT I agree.  I also have an 85 flex std T90...so things can get wacky...Std seem to work best with finding old woodies and you can customize those curves a lil easier.  The TRUE allows the option of a *28 curve in the TC4.  He likes the W88, but has been playing a p14. 

We'll see...it keeps looking like we will make the jump to 1 pc.  He does play with an old DTLT3 w88 thats been extended.  But He needs to make the switch...the kid is now an inch shorter than me.  The hope was to get some street blades and put those into his old INT shafts.

2 pc set-up make sense...THE OEM's should allow the option as a way for players to find the curves they like.  There are a few pros who still run with a 2 pc rig...why?

Less replacement profitability, less demand, and more required inventory are just a few reasons the two piece is going the way of the dodo. If I could still locally find Iginla pattern blades then I would probably still be in a two piece but those are impossible to come by and the "clones" that are still out there don't come close to the Iginla pattern that I fell in love with.

25 minutes ago, chippa13 said:

Less replacement profitability, less demand, and more required inventory are just a few reasons the two piece is going the way of the dodo. If I could still locally find Iginla pattern blades then I would probably still be in a two piece but those are impossible to come by and the "clones" that are still out there don't come close to the Iginla pattern that I fell in love with.

Which clones are you thinking of, exactly? Curious, because I want to try out the Base Iginla clone in lies 5 and 4 next season.

I tried the Sherwood clone for blades and True for one-piece. Both were more toe and less mid than I like. I've considered trying Base but would prefer to see one in person before I make that investment.

15 hours ago, chippa13 said:

I tried the Sherwood clone for blades and True for one-piece. Both were more toe and less mid than I like. I've considered trying Base but would prefer to see one in person before I make that investment.

Good to know. I understand your hesitation, given the disappointment with the other brands' almost Iggys. I also wish they would show real photos of their patterns instead of those Scooby Doo graphics. It's like that Tom Brady courtroom sketch over there.

To date, the only clone I've been happy with is the Bauer P12. Even with the slight difference in lie it is always seamless for me to bounce back and forth between that and the Stealth Iggy's that I have.

On 2017-03-01 at 2:36 PM, darkhors said:

Other than BattleMode, I would say True or Base are you best bet. I would go True because they are a much, much bigger company than Base and own all of their factories so their quality is top notch. On top of that, their consistency is really good too. They are making huge strides in the market and I can only see them becoming bigger as more NHLer's are using them.

I'll chime in here - BASE does own its factory as well, and BASE President Ron Kunisaki himself oversees the QC to ensure that we always put out a quality product. Furthermore, we'll still be offering shafts and blades when all the other manufacturers (even True) have phased them out. They're an important part of our product offering, and we have no problems with inventory or demand, since we only sell factory direct. I've got a BASE blog post coming up about the history, pros, and cons of two-piece sticks - keep an eye out!

On 2017-03-28 at 8:22 PM, IPv6Freely said:

I wish they'd just die already.

:(

I play ball hockey and many of my teammates and I use two piece sticks -- we go through a lot more blades than shafts. I tried both Base and True and both are high quality products.

Although I like the fact that I can try different curves and the blade has been more durable with Base.. it's just inconvenient having to pay extra for shipping when most places offer free shipping on orders above $100.

The free pickup at a local rink option is there but True is at a lower price range and I can get it online with free shipping... the Kovalev pro curve is tempting me though =/

I'm someone who still has a stock pile of 2 piece stuff. Bunch of Tapered shafts from a few brands and tapered Bauer blades in my curve of choice (Darby/P89).

I'm glad I stocked up on the blades with everyone producing toe hooks and crazy curves that I just don't prefer. I'd love to see more shaft options with updated materials, it seems everyone who has a tapered shaft has the same tech with different graphics but I understand it's not good business. 

I also have a pro stock Easton zbubble made for brett hull. I'll challenge anyone to give that thing a try and then their everyday stick and tell me which one they'd like to use. 

3 hours ago, the_game said:

I'm someone who still has a stock pile of 2 piece stuff. Bunch of Tapered shafts from a few brands and tapered Bauer blades in my curve of choice (Darby/P89).

I'm glad I stocked up on the blades with everyone producing toe hooks and crazy curves that I just don't prefer. I'd love to see more shaft options with updated materials, it seems everyone who has a tapered shaft has the same tech with different graphics but I understand it's not good business. 

I also have a pro stock Easton zbubble made for brett hull. I'll challenge anyone to give that thing a try and then their everyday stick and tell me which one they'd like to use. 

How do you get those tapered blade darby/P89? I only had 3 left. Standard blade warrior vanek. Its really hard to find them.

Years ago after Nike got out of the deal with Bauer I was able to get a stock pile of P89 Tapered blades through a contact at a local pro shop. It was a lot of college teams end of the year surplus they were sending back to Bauer for credit I believe. Either way a good investment for me.

14 hours ago, the_game said:

This is so true. The total one and one95 tapered smu shafts were some of the best kicking shafts I ever had.

48 minutes ago, adam14 said:

This is so true. The total one and one95 tapered smu shafts were some of the best kicking shafts I ever had.

I have a Bauer Tapered TotalOne that I've never used, guess I'm gonna have to give it a try.