Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
lmooney19

Boxes for shipping sticks

I just keep boxes from purchases. Also, you could fashion one out of a normal box. Also, you could just wrap stick in thin bubble wrap and then use a trash bag and packing tape to protect stick.

• Like 3

Ask UPS store if they have "ski boxes".  Depending on how many sticks you are shipping, it might be a good option.  More than likely going to get nailed with an "oversize" upcharge, so might not make a difference if you can find a smaller box. 

Edited by krisdrum

I've found that wrapping the stick(s) in bubble wrap (plus wrapping the blade in a home made card board protector out of whatever you have lying around), then wrapping in a garbage bag, followed by a nice wrap of shipping tape over everything is the way to go for shipping sticks.  It keeps the cost down.  The sticks are protected.  It's pretty easy to put together. 

Unless you have boxes from a prior purchase, its a pain to find one's to fit sticks in.  it can also be ridiculously expensive to purchase boxes and ship them due to the size.

• Like 2

Go on craigslist and find a wardrobe box for free that someone that just moved, wants to get rid of. You'll need to hack it apart a bit obviously, but this is a cheap way of getting the material.

Also, using something clear gives the advantage that mail handlers see what it is and handle it more carefully than just a box. I have received long boxes torn to shreds in the past since things get stacked on them or they being stored on weird angles. Clear bags/tape make it clear it's a fragile thin item.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, OzziesDad said:

I've found that wrapping the stick(s) in bubble wrap (plus wrapping the blade in a home made card board protector out of whatever you have lying around), then wrapping in a garbage bag, followed by a nice wrap of shipping tape over everything is the way to go for shipping sticks.  It keeps the cost down.  The sticks are protected.  It's pretty easy to put together. 

Unless you have boxes from a prior purchase, its a pain to find one's to fit sticks in.  it can also be ridiculously expensive to purchase boxes and ship them due to the size.

This is the way to go. If you ship it in a box you're going to get hit with dimensional weight instead of actual and it will almost certainly double the cost. I just shipped out a couple sticks in the last month and when I went to use a hockey stick box it was $32 priority. I did it like above and it was $12. Bubble wrap and shipping tape all the way!

Pure Hockey sells them for $3.  If you're shipping them full and for sale, might be worth it.

If you're sending back a broken stick, companies allow you to cut them in half so that you can fit it in a smaller box.

• Like 2

I'm with the bubble wrap folks. I've shipped a bunch of sticks this way and never had a problem. I trace out the shape of the blade on two small pieces of cardboard (cut it out a little bigger then your tracing) and then tape them on the front and back on the blade to protect it. Wrap everything in a couple layers of bubble wrap, tape the crap out of it with shipping tape. I usually put the shipping label on the blade. Done

I really dont think there's any advantage to frankensteining a box together vs just wrapping it.  Also, it's surprisingly affordable to ship this way. 

9 hours ago, MD56 said:

I'm with the bubble wrap folks. I've shipped a bunch of sticks this way and never had a problem. I trace out the shape of the blade on two small pieces of cardboard (cut it out a little bigger then your tracing) and then tape them on the front and back on the blade to protect it. Wrap everything in a couple layers of bubble wrap, tape the crap out of it with shipping tape. I usually put the shipping label on the blade. Done

I really dont think there's any advantage to frankensteining a box together vs just wrapping it.  Also, it's surprisingly affordable to ship this way. 

In my experience this is great if you're shipping USPS, but UPS wouldn't take my bubble wrapped sticks. But USPS is so much cheaper anyway it wasn't a problem.

I made the mistake of going to a lot of trouble once to make a stick shaped box. When I dropped it off (don't recall if it was UPS or FedEx) they told me that the stick shaped box cost me (considerably) more because it caused them to add an irregular shape fee. They told me I should have just taken a rectangular piece of scrap cardboard, fold it over to make an envelope sort of thing seal the edges and ends and give it to them that way (I would probably still use a little bubble wrap though).

It's a hockey stick. Made for men to smash into frozen rubber pucks, and other sticks repeatedly. It doesn't need much protection. Loling at the bubble wrap suggestions. Like people who put sticks in a stick bag. Are you scared your going to scratch it walking from the car to the rink?

34 minutes ago, HarpGuy said:

It's a hockey stick. Made for men to smash into frozen rubber pucks, and other sticks repeatedly. It doesn't need much protection. Loling at the bubble wrap suggestions. Like people who put sticks in a stick bag. Are you scared your going to scratch it walking from the car to the rink?

What is there to laugh about? It's one of the best ways to ship sticks.

I recently bought a stick from Discount Hockey and it literally came in a bag.  No box, no cardboard protection, no bubble wrap... just a shipping bag like you would get when ordering a shirt or something soft in.  The stick didn't have any damage.  

I have only shipped 1 stick and I used the box that I had from when I bought one new from Hockey Giant. USPS moved it for around $15. However, I recently bought a stick from Hockey Monkey and it only came in a black bag with the plastic wrap on it.  So the bubble wrap method would probably be more cost efficient.

On 3/2/2017 at 10:22 AM, JR Boucicaut said:

Pure Hockey sells them for $3.  If you're shipping them full and for sale, might be worth it.

If you're sending back a broken stick, companies allow you to cut them in half so that you can fit it in a smaller box.

Ha I had no idea. The more you know, eh?

Edited by 215BroadStBullies610

3 hours ago, Miller55 said:

Thanks Craig...

Just gonna go ahead and +1 the bubble wrap and garbage bag with tape

Yep, that's the way to go. I've shipped and received plenty of sticks that way, never a problem.