Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Dangles83

Has Anyone Switched from Bauer Vapor to...

As a long time Bauer Vapor user, I wonder has anyone who liked the Vapor series, moved to something else and like them better? For example, I tried the original Makos and felt like a baby giraffe out there.

Lost it baby giraffe lol. 

But ya, used to have Vapors, enjoying Makos much more, made me a better skater for sure, and this is coming from a guy with weak ankles / pronation issues that are gone now. 

And since my experience does not apply to you, Ive seen a few Vapor users enjoy the JetSpeeds a lot after switching. 

Get a profiling done on your Makos.  I had a lot of teammates love the boot but the pitch made them skate funny.  

Most teammates put a -1 negative pitch onto the steel (brings the +3 overall pitch to a +2) and throw on a Quad radius as they liked the original turning radius on the 9 ft steel, but needed more blade on the ice for stability and speed.

Went from Vapor X90 to Mako M7. Moldability help with a few problem areas, much better fit for my wide-ish forefoot, bigger toebox helped a lot too.

I was a little unsteady at first, mostly falling forward when getting over my toes. Ended up adjusting after a bit.

Are you saying that the M7 has a big toe box? Never used X90 but the M7 has to be the smallest toe box ever, due to the Mako's small/short toe box to begin with and the huge tongue that runs all the way in front....

I found that the Mako toe box in EE is wider than the toe box on the KOR and Torspo skates I used to use and most other skates I've tried on or demoed. It's shorter and there's  less negative space over the toes, but I find it more comfortable width wise. It also tapers anatomically so it's shorter for the smaller toes, but still long enough for the big toes.

19 hours ago, icewalker_bg said:

Are you saying that the M7 has a big toe box? Never used X90 but the M7 has to be the smallest toe box ever, due to the Mako's small/short toe box to begin with and the huge tongue that runs all the way in front....

Yes, in regards to width.  They have a more square shape to them.  My big/pinky toes aren't crammed against the sides of the caps in the M7's.

I do agree it's must shorter in regards to height.

I did the change from Vapor to Jetspeed and couldn't happier. The break in on the Jetspeeds were a little longer but overall, the skate is incredible. JetSpeed might fit a .5 size smaller than Vapor also so if you're thinking about buying, just make sure to get sized.

On 3/13/2017 at 11:35 AM, Bakum said:

I did the change from Vapor to Jetspeed and couldn't happier. The break in on the Jetspeeds were a little longer but overall, the skate is incredible. JetSpeed might fit a .5 size smaller than Vapor also so if you're thinking about buying, just make sure to get sized.

Same here. Went .5 size smaller on the JetSpeed. Went from Vapor to JetSpeed and it fits a little better for my foot. Tried the 1X and had some pressure on the tongue because of my old skates breaking down and giving me lace bite. The JetSpeed gave me a little less pain and gave me a slightly tighter fit. I've only had 3 games so far, but I'm liking it. Hoping to get some new Step steel with my old radius eventually. Trying to figure out how much I want to pay for the different models/options.

I'll have to look at the JetSpeed.  After an 8 year break from hockey, I'm back on a pair of Vapor APX.  The total lack of forward flex coupled with a cheap paper thin tongue has resulted in my first ever case of lace bite ( started playing in 1971).  I'm not really picky and was always content with whatever skates were supplied during my "serious" hockey career, but these APX are tough. I had switched from CCM to Bauer back around 1983 when my college team switched suppliers, might be time to give CCM another look.