Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Campoli

Suggestion for Spring Hockey - for kid

Hey all, so I'm just looking for some general feedback from the forum as there seems to be a vast amount of knowledge! My 2010 born son just finished his season and would like to continue into the spring. He has been skating for a few years and this was his first year of house league,
Tyke division. There seem to be a lot options for Spring and Summer but unsure what would be best for his development:

- 3on3 / 4on4 1 game per week league (no practices)
- Powerskating class (no puck work)
- Total skills class (skating drill and puck work)

Prices are generally equal for all programs. I'd like him to have a great time and make new friends but also benefit him most developmentally and prep for the upcoming season. 

Any feedback? Much appreciated :)

Of those 3 options, I'd prioritize:

1) Total skills

2) Powerskatng

3) 3:3 / 4:4

I think 1 & 2 are close, so it would really depend on your son's skill level and where he needs work.   

If the schedule works out, my son will do all 3.  But that has been our philosophy since he started.

So long as he's enjoying it, I'd go the total skills route. He will still make friends in that program but will have more opportunity for individualized coaching. 

That being said, you need to be able to apply the skills learned so if there was any chance to sneak in some 3-3 on a small ice sheet, I'd jump all over that. 

They had several options here.   Many ran all summer.  First I will list the options, then what I chose and why.  My child is 7.

1) in house league

2) multitude of different camps from power skating and on. various times and length

3)3/3 program 45 min practice 45min game 1x week. 1 week night a week

4)  1/2 skating program. 1/2 hour 1x week sessions held throughout the week.

5) 1x a week skills program. 1x week on weekend

Right now I only signed him up for #3  it starts in april and runs 12 weeks.  He may continue to you the #4 that's up to him.  Summer is coming and knowing my child and family spending all summer at the rink is going to burn him out.  He has just recently started his hockey journey.  I felt number #3 was the best mix of things for him and won't interfere with him being a kid.  If he chooses the skating program bonus.  It is only a half hour and he has the choice to stay for public skate after his lesson.  Knowing him(and me) we will also spend a lot of time at the roller hockey rink.  Summer here also means more stick and shoots.  So I am sure I will be taking him and his friends to that.  I think that's a lot of hockey for him to play for the summer.  Of coarse these are the plans for now.

I would look at it this way, skating skills are #1, period, end of debate.  If he is already a solid skater, you have the opportunity to prioritize other things.

I put total skills as #1 in my ranking, as it is usually a good mix of skating work and stick/puck work. And that usually allows for good progression with limited time commitment.

Our approach may also be in the minority.  My son started skating at 2.5, private and group lessons with a figure skating coach.  Didn't pick up a stick on ice until he was 4.  Sure, we'd watch on tv and mess around in the driveway, but we knew he needed to be a solid skater before we even thought about a stick and equipment.  Regardless of where he goes from here, he'll have a skill for life he can enjoy.

Last year we mis-stepped and focused too much on "hockey", and the program he was in just didn't have what it takes to help him progress.  He took a step backwards and lost confidence.  This year we changed hockey programs and re-invested in just skating.  It took a bit for him to build up the confidence again, but the last month or so, he has been making leaps we didn't think possible at the beginning of the season. 

Howdy,

14 hours ago, Campoli said:

Hey all, so I'm just looking for some general feedback from the forum as there seems to be a vast amount of knowledge! My 2010 born son just finished his season and would like to continue into the spring. He has been skating for a few years and this was his first year of house league,
Tyke division. There seem to be a lot options for Spring and Summer but unsure what would be best for his development:

- 3on3 / 4on4 1 game per week league (no practices)
- Powerskating class (no puck work)
- Total skills class (skating drill and puck work)

Prices are generally equal for all programs. I'd like him to have a great time and make new friends but also benefit him most developmentally and prep for the upcoming season. 

Any feedback? Much appreciated :)

To me, the absolute #1 priority for an off season thing like this would be "Make sure my kid wants to be there and is having fun, plus isn't over training / over specializing".  Given that, I'd show him the options and let him pick whichever one he thought sounded the most fun, while also strongly encouraging him to play soccer or baseball or whatever else to balance things out.

That's influenced a bit by USA Hockey strongly pushing a multi-sport focus for young kids, but its also influenced by watching my own kid burn out some.  You don't want to have them getting sick of hockey when the real hockey season rolls around next fall/winter because they've been going hard at it for a year without a break.

Mark

^ Couldn't have said it better.  I know my kid is getting bored of skills and skating.  He just wants to play.  That being said him and I compromise.  For me and him its not about being the best its about having fun.

I agree with marka & jmiro above.  I would recommend asking your son what he wants.  That said, I would lean towards the 3x3 for the following reasons.

1.  It should be fun.  My son is a 2007, and what he and his team mates enjoy the most (other than official games) are scrimmages.  Drills typically aren't as fun, and there are plenty of those during the course of the regular season anyway.     

2.  Spring/summer 3x3 youth leagues (in theory) should be low stress/no pressure, so the kids can be free to experiment & try new things without worrying about making mistakes.  

3.  I may be dead wrong here, and balance is key, but I believe that kids in that age range learn the most by actually playing.  

It all depends on what both of you want and can agree on. If it is fun, just play the spring league. If it is to improve and/or move up a level(s), take the skating clinic(s). What is the first thing you hear from a player when he/she moves up a level? How much FASTER the game is. The majority of hockey is played WITHOUT the puck. For any player, regardless of age/skill/level, skating is the foundation of their individual game.

I think this is an excellent topic.  Shame there are only a few people responding.  There are so many ways to approach this.  I can't imagine what the average joe with little to no experience with hockey feels when looking at all the options.  Just with the types of leagues available here.  Your kid could be playing on five or so teams.  Then throw in the mix all the camps and other programs.  Not to mention the cost.  

My area isnt historically a hot bed of hockey.  I signed my child up for the learn to play program through nhl.  The registration strongly suggested that your child could skate.  The first day there were sixty kids. We are down to about 40. First day kids were crying and screaming cause they couldnt skate.  I by no means have anything ill to say about the program.  It is an excellent program all around.

I degress.  The importance of skating is often over looked by parents not understanding to sport, let alone how long it takes to become proficent at it.   Or that there are others skills thag can be practiced at home.

Once again great topic.

Totally.  We've benefited from seeing the journey of my brother-in-law's family through youth hockey.  He has 2 that play at high levels in competitive situations. And he is a pretty accomplished player in his own right.  Skating has always been #1 in their book, hence our decision to let my son focus on skating for the first few years, before ever getting him fully suited up with a stick and puck. 

So my family has been lucky to watch and learn and have an experienced group to discuss our own concerns and decisions with.

We've tried a few times to share some of that gained perspective with others who are new to the sport and don't have the benefit of that trial/error and experience.  Unfortunately that sharing has often been received with a "thank you, appreciate it" and no further action.  Because of that, my son's peers have often not progressed at the same pace.  And as I've said, my son has certainly had some bumps along his short journey already.  But net net, the time and effort he is putting in is developing him to a greater extent. 

I think most new parents to the sport (or maybe not so new) think stickhandling and shooting and other hockey skills are the focus and the skating skills needed can/will be learned through the normal course of hockey work.  What they don't realize or recognize is solid skating is the foundation for ALL of that and more often than not, not enough time is allocated during "hockey time" to truly progress that skill significantly enough.  It is all about balance, edgework, control and weight transfer.  Want a hard shot?  Work on your skating.  Want better positional play?  Work on your skating.  Stickhandling is less impacted by skating, but there is an obvious connection, since no one is ever stickhandling in a stationary position during a game, so it needs to be stickhandling WHILE skating/moving.

We have been lucky to have my son work with 2 coaches who really get and preach the above, focusing almost exclusively on skating then adding the other aspects on top of that foundation.

As an adult trying to learn this sport myself, I've made the same mistakes, rationalizing that my skating is "good enough" to get me through.  Taking a skills clinic a few weeks back solidified the above opinion and just how FAR off my perspective was and what matters.  So I can totally get the perspective I have often seen in other parents and kids.  Because of that experience, I am focusing my time on getting more comfortable on my skates and trying to re-program my body to skate with lessl brain involvement, so I can then layer the other aspects on top.   

I can say my approach so far has been the following. He had no interest until end of last summer.  When he asked to play i told him show me willing.  I set a course in my head.  There is still alot of roller hockey here.  So i told him come to the rink and learn to skate and we will discuss ice hockey.  So he did.  He was even skating around our house.  Next step was the learn to play, but in order to do that he was told he needed to take skating lessons. Ran into a snag there because he was leaps and bounds over the class they put him in.  Then at the learn to play he is doing very well at it and continues his skating lessons.  My friend is in the same boat with his kid(which ill come to later) and we have already been approached about the travel teams.  Next step for him is the three on three/skills program they have while continuing his lessons.  This is the concession he has made.  He doesnt want skating lessons but he agreed if i let him do three on three.  Then he will play the in house league which gets us to next christmas or so.  His ultimate goal is to play goal.  But he must complete all the above first.  

I sticking to this plan.  

What has helped is he respects my friends who play roller and ice so they he will listen to them and the love teaching.  I take him to the rink ice and roller as much as he wants and i can.  I try not to get mad or irrated if he wants the day off.  We mess around in the basement i have to make drills into aa game.   What helps is his lessons only 1/2 then he will stay after for public skate.  Him and his friend teach each other new skills, work on old ones, then it breaks out in a game of tag.  We also try to do stick and shoots at the rink when possible.

You made a great point that of your focusing on your skating then you cant focus on the game.  Thats why we seperate the two alot.  Dry land stick handling and skating at the rink. 

Last thing that kills me is parents say whys your kid so good and hasnt been playing long.  The skating lessons come with free public skate. Rarelydo i see anyone elses kids with punches for free skates on their tags.1/2 hour a week aint gonna cut it.

23 hours ago, chippa13 said:

Lacrosse and/or baseball and/or soccer.

YES!  my son plays baseball and soccer in the spring.  want him to dump soccer for Lax this spring.....we shall see if I can pull that off.  He loves soccer.

i'm also torn,  my oldest (going into Squirts) wants to take the spring summer off.  BUT!!!!  he's only been in the L2S program the last two years. (and a few clinics here and there)  He doesn't have the wind, or the legs yet to play full ice, and i feel he'll hate fall Hockey once it comes around and he can not keep up.   he would actually like to stay in L2S or clinics forever if he could (he'll make a good coach some day, he likes doing drills)   BUT!!  he really need the fundamentals of REALLY hockey now, or i think he'll never "get it" when it comes to playing and being in position.   so as much as i know he needs the clinics still, i need to push him onto the ice and into games.  

My middle guy on the other hand, going into half ice mites this year, he could totally play full ice and be just fine.  (but he's a bit of a jock)  and he HATES drills, but will back check 'til the cows come home  :D 

so we're allowing my middle guy to skip baseball, and only play spring hockey, but the older one is going to play baseball (1 weeknight & Saturdays) And hockey on Sundays only.   if we didn't, his Minecraft world would be way too epic.   

On 3/7/2017 at 5:54 PM, chippa13 said:

Lacrosse and/or baseball and/or soccer.

Soccer and lacrosse. I played lacrosse and wish I wasn't so stubborn to not play soccer. Soccer develops the lower body while lacrosse the upper body. And depending on one's position, your endurance should improve. Whenever God grants me kids, I will present to them opportunity to play those three sports and go from there.

We've been remiss in getting my son into a lot of other sports formally, and it is obvious when you see him against his peers off the ice.  So I've been trying to get him to play some soccer and tennis with me more regularly (I played both in HS).  We also got him into an indoor baseball class this past fall he seemed to like, so we were going and doing a bit of catch and pitch and hit in the front yard as well on the weekends.  Oh and he really wanted a basketball hoop, because one of his friends is a big b-ball player, so he has started to do that as well.  Nothing really organized outside of the baseball class, but I think any work on another skill set will help.  It is all some combination of hand/eye, explosiveness, endurance, balance, etc.   

My child has no interest in other sports.  We have tried.  He would rather sit and read a book (no issue with this and how many 7 year olds are reading paper books).  The only active thing he really enjoys is skating and hockey.  Heck I cant even convince him to learn to ride a bike without training wheels. 

The more I type in this thread the more it sounds like I am a push over and my son does what ever he wants.

23 minutes ago, jmiro said:

My child has no interest in other sports.  We have tried.  He would rather sit and read a book (no issue with this and how many 7 year olds are reading paper books).  The only active thing he really enjoys is skating and hockey.  Heck I cant even convince him to learn to ride a bike without training wheels. 

The more I type in this thread the more it sounds like I am a push over and my son does what ever he wants.

Don't worry, my kid is similar.  It is hockey hockey hockey.  Hockey video games, hockey legos, hockey books, watching hockey, hockey cards, etc.  We have been the ones trying to push the other sports over the last few years and he is luke warm at best. 

From my past experience what I suggest for offseason is as much stick and puck time as they want. My kid and his friends would literally be at the rink all day having fun. They learn more than you would expect just playing around with their friends. No pressure from coaches or parents. They learn to be creative and figure a lot of stick handling, skating, passing and shooting without realizing it. If you want more than that, I always preferred private instruction over camps. They get one on one training and it is immediately corrected if they are not doing something right. I've found with camps you don't get the same coaching time and once the camp is over it is up to the student to make sure they are doing the drills and doing them right (which rarely happens). I would rather pay a coach $50.00 for 6 lessons than $300.00 to camp.

Biggest thing is make sure the kid wants to do whatever you are offering. I've seen to many kids burn out from over-training or forced training. If they would rather play another sport during the off season let them. If the coach feels that they need to dedicate all of their time to hockey only (yes we know a couple like this) let them know how you feel about it.