Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

LilSchro

Skates for Narrow heel/ankle, wide midfoot?

Hello, I used to wear the 6k pumps but I'm currently in the market for a pair of new skates. While the 6k pumps fit me, my grief with them is that the top is too wide for my skinny ankle- even with the pumps (which stopped working after a couple years.), I'm looking for a pair of skates that would fit more anatomically or close to a wrap because I don't want to resort to tying my laces around the top of the skates. While I've tried out a pair of 6.5D Jetspeed and preferred the lesser space around the ankle, I feel like the midfoot is a bit narrow for me and can't find a 6.5E.

Until I'm able to find a 6.5E jetspeed to try out, does anyone have any other skate brand commendations to try out?

Try a super tacks in 7D or 7E. Or buy the Jetspeeds and get them stretched across the forefoot. Otherwise, with the demise of graf or unless you go customs with VH, you now fall into the segment whose foot shape has no ideal retail fit at the moment. 

Might also look at the Vapors in a EE.  They still have a pretty narrow heel, but the wider forefoot.  I needed to get a few spots punched out in the forefoot on my old ones, but they were pretty decent after that.  Agree Graf 735 is likely the best retail fit for what you seem to be describing.  I'm a narrow ankle/heel guy as well.  Everything else I've tried has been too wide in the heel.  But I haven't tried the new Tacks.  Jetspeeds had too little volume for me. 

I had the same issue.

I went from a Vapor D to an EE and it helped a lot.  Tons of midfoot issues for a long time and finally made the jump to an EE. Few skates in and the things feel great. Heel locks in well and even though im still in the break-in period, its a HUGE difference getting off the ice and not having the outsides of my feet be numb.

6 minutes ago, lmooney19 said:

Also, while im in this post, do skate widths from D to EE or is there an E width also.  All i see on sites is EE.

I've only ever seen D/EE (Bauer, CCM, Easton) or N/R/W (Graf).  I know Mission inlines come in an E width, but I think that is so they don't have to make them in D and EE widths and split the difference.  I'm sure you can get custom E width, but I haven't seen them off the shelf. 

7 hours ago, x-track said:

easton S 17 fits like you call for ....might be hard to get new ones though !

or easton se16's, I really miss how they would hold a narrow ankle in place.

I wasted a lot of money over the years trying to solve this exact problem with off the shelf retail skates.

I'm now in AAA heel custom APX2s and will never wear a retail skate again. 

You should actually be fairly comfortable in a D-width Supreme.  Vapor heels fit fairly narrow from the get-go, until it's baked/broken in and opens up, and that's when some people begin experiencing heel slippage.

Sounds like my foot, I've got medium to high volume on the heel and forefoot but low to medium volume toe area with an average ankle. Narrow hell wide flat forefoot and getting new skates was a nightmare. Last pair of skates I really loved was RBK 9k 9EE size, length, width and depth was perfect and the pump/lace lock combo kept the heel and ankle tight. 

New skate time I tried CCM ribcore, jetspeed, vapor, supreme and Nexus. Nothing felt perfect but Nexus felt the best ended up in 8.5 D with moderate success but a reoccurring pain and numbness in my left foot sent me searching again. 2 weeks ago I'm back to a new shop for a new fitting tried vapor again, jetspeed, ultra tacks, and then found the super tacks. Tried multiple sizes and once 9EE was on I knew I was onto something, length perfect, pencil test BARELY passed width on my left foot perfect but my right foot felt a little tight. Messed around with lacing patterns/tightness, insoles, socks and I think I finally have dialed them in after 11-12 hours on the ice these last two weeks. They're not a custom fit but the monocomp boot is very responsive and customizable for the individual foot. It was mentioned but it seems like we've got similar feet try the super tacks! Price sucks real bad but if they last 5+ years like my 9ks did I'm ok with it the wasted money on the Nexus 8000 sucks worse at this point

Supreme MX3,  size 6.5  "C" width.   Roomier upfront with a tighter heel lock. Notably tighter in the heel area than the D version.