Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

meburbo

Replacing Graf 703s

I have seen some threads here comparing Graf 703s to other Graf models but I have yet to find a real comparison to other companies and modern skates in general. I've had mine since 2000 and it is about time to upgrade, but I would like to find something with a similar fit. Any suggestions are welcome. Thanks!

703s were the narrowest fit in the line if memory serves.  I would think that would translate to Vapor/Ribcor designs.  Narrowest heel and pretty narrow throughout rest of the boot.

I think you may find modern boots to be really stiff compared to the Grafs.  I started in Vapors and moved to 535s.  The difference was night and day.  Vapors were like ski boots compared to the Grafs. I think the Ribcors are supposed to be on the softer side, so they may be the closest in overall design.  You might be able to get the Supreme/Jetspeeds to work, but I think you'll find the heel too wide

I went from Graf 703's to Bauer Vapor X:60's.  I'm now in Bauer APX's, but they're custom.  I went with Vapors because of the forward cut of the boot wasn't too far off from Grafs.  As for the stiffness krisdrum mentions, it's night and day.  I couldn't believe the support in really, really hard turns.

5 hours ago, meburbo said:

I have seen some threads here comparing Graf 703s to other Graf models but I have yet to find a real comparison to other companies and modern skates in general. I've had mine since 2000 and it is about time to upgrade, but I would like to find something with a similar fit. Any suggestions are welcome. Thanks!

If you in US or Canada you can get them new made from Vaughn. Email mvaughn@vaughnhockey.com to get more info on this. Not sure of cost though.

Thanks everyone for the advice. I bought a pair of Bauer Vapor X800s. Fit seems to translate well as well as the forward cut of the boot, as @MyBoxersSayJoe mentioned. I had also tried a pair of Tacks out of curiosity, and felt like I was sitting too far back on my heels the whole time. The Vapors didn't have that issue at all.

Stiffness is going to be an adjustment, but I think for the better once I get used to it. 

7 hours ago, rawkstar said:

Were your 703s the regular or the wide boot? I've had the wide boot 703s for like 10 years now, looking to get some new skates as well.

Mine were wide. You can get the Vapors in an E as well.

On 4/9/2017 at 2:12 PM, rawkstar said:

Were your 703s the regular or the wide boot? I've had the wide boot 703s for like 10 years now, looking to get some new skates as well.

Mine were regular

I've been thinking the new CCM 70K or 68K would be a good replacement. It's their closest to the 703 fit profile but I'm guessing it's significantly lighter. If only they would make an SMU (73K?) with the 703 eyelet pattern and flat-cut across the ankle, it might be perfect. I haven't skated in CCM's, but I tried on a friend's JetSpeed 300s and found the heel lock to compare favorably to the heel pocket on the 703. The JetSpeed 300 forefoot was too roomy for me to replicate that instantaneous response from a locked-in 703, but that could be due to them being baked for his feet instead of mine. 70K should fit closer to the fit as described in IceWarehouse's video.