Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

IPv6Freely

US Women's Team Won't Play 2017 WC

So, let me get this straight -

USWNT shouldn't get any money spent on them because nobody in their country cares about them.

But CWNT gets money spent on them, because not winning gold is a disappointment.

Yet any given year, either US or CAN wins.  You're making it seem that USWNT isn't worthy of any sort of investment, yet they've won the last 3 Worlds.  I think they've more than enough made a case for themselves.

Don't put words in my mouth that's not at all what I said. 

I definitely think that the women's team should receive the money that they did. What I'm saying is that since the Canadian women started their grassroots programs almost 20 years ago the women in the United States might be rushing a few of their steps.

its not a fair comparison. And twisting words isn't necessary. 

"Rushing their steps" ?? How so ? It appears the USWNT is 20 years behind the CWNT in terms of support. What is there to wait for?

$70,000 yearly is a bit much. Like I said in my previous post, USAH is not your primary employer and should not be paid as if they were. Everything else in the contract looks great though. 

On 3/29/2017 at 4:28 PM, chocks86 said:

$70,000 yearly is a bit much. Like I said in my previous post, USAH is not your primary employer and should not be paid as if they were. Everything else in the contract looks great though. 

Are the players really going to receive $70k annual salary?  If so, I guess they will all be ineligible to play for NCAA programs?

I would guess that NCAA players wouldn't be a part of the deal since they are already getting "paid" to train by their college programs.

On ‎3‎/‎29‎/‎2017 at 4:28 PM, chocks86 said:

What would be a fair salary then? Does salary really determine who is one's primary employer?

On 4/3/2017 at 3:31 PM, 215BroadStBullies610 said:

What would be a fair salary then? Does salary really determine who is one's primary employer?

They should not be paid a salary is my point. A fair stipend should be given while they are unable to work for the primary employer during training or tournaments. USAH stated that they were not in the business of employing players and I agree with them. Once again, the USWNT is not a team in a professional league and therefor you should not be paid like it is your career. How many events does the USWNT play a year? The World Championships and? Then you have the Olympics every 4 years. So what exactly is USA Hockey getting in return for the compensation they are paying each player? The US Men's team never complained about compensation for the last 20 years because they were all employed by the NHL. Now with the possibility of the NHL not being able to go to S. Korea in 2018, will the players that are eligible, and not signed to a professional contract with the NHL, be looking to USA Hockey for yearly compensation too? USA Hockey is there to be able to provide the programs and foundation for the players to excel while training and playing in tournaments, not to allow people try to create a career playing for the National teams. Unfortunately after college hockey most women will need to find a new profession because playing women's hockey is not likely to provide you with a living until a professional league really takes off. The USWNT and college hockey players don't seem to want to face that reality. Do US National teams like curling, bobsledding, etc. get paid a size able yearly compensation from USOC? No, they all have regular jobs and are compensated when they are away from them. Some teams might not even be compensated, they just do it because they want to represent their country. 

Show me the world class curling participant that has to put in 1/10th the training time and such that a world class hockey player does.

chocks86, I get it. You don't want to pay the women a salary. What if your wife was on that national team? How would you feel then seeing the lack of financial commitment from USAH towards your wife's training off ice, ice time expenses, travel expenses, and equipment expenses? Honestly, what would you do? That is a real life question for about 25 women on that team to ask their husbands.  Also, comparing NHL players under contract that were participating in the Olympics to the women is apples to oranges. The "US mens team never complained about compensation" because they were already living on million dollar professional contracts. What the hell would they have to complain about ?!! Also, what about the lack of support across the board for all women/girls participating in USAH? Are they getting the same opportunities as the boys on the USNDTP 16/17/Jr level ?

I feel that they should be provided all of those things but not a yearly salary other than a fair stipend when they are actually away from their primary job. Maybe I am reading it wrong and the $70k is total compensation that is supposed to take care of expenses, and if it is then I stand corrected. 

Back to back world champions! Way to go ladies! Hopefully this will work in their favor in three years when the new negotiations come around.

On 4/6/2017 at 6:07 PM, chippa13 said:

Show me the world class curling participant that has to put in 1/10th the training time and such that a world class hockey player does.

Check out Kim Rhode.

Not a curler, but a record breaking American Olympian, ignored by the media, in a sport that costs more than hockey to train for.

No professional league to speak of and not holding out until US shooting pays her. (That I'm aware of, haven't been on any news sites in awhile)

9 hours ago, crow93 said:

Back to back world champions! Way to go ladies! Hopefully this will work in their favor in three years when the new negotiations come around.

Actually, back to back to back to back.

They've won the past 4 in a row.

8 hours ago, JR Boucicaut said:

Actually, back to back to back to back.

They've won the past 4 in a row.

....and 7 of the last 8.  

Unfortunatly, the US Women have been unable to translate that success during Olympic years.  No gold since '98.

I just got back last night and I have to say....WOW! what a game!!!! apparently my seats were in the Canadian family section but everybody was very civil. the Canadian off-ice officials were directly behind us and Caroline Oulette yelled at one of my teammates to sit down. :laugh:

I've never been to an international event like that where people are chanting USA! USA! USA! USA!

USWNT is very exciting to watch right now. hopefully they can keep up that style of play for the next year.