Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

HarpGuy

Sparx or Blackstone X-01?

Blackstone or Sparx?  

19 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I've got the chance to buy a gently used Blackstone X-01 with holder, and case for <$1000

I always have the chance to buy a spark for roughly the same price. 

Let's jst pretend they're the same price. Which one would you guys buy and why?

P.S. There are NO FBV's within a reasonable distance of where I live.

It's a simple answer to me. Are you willing to put in the time and energy to learn to sharpen your own skates on the X01? If so, buy that. If not, buy the Sparx. 

For me, I don't have the time, patience or general interest for a manual sharpener, so the Sparx wins. Some guys like to tinker and they'd probably prefer the X01. That's not me. 

Absolutely. I actually think I will be a quick learner, and prefer a more hands on approach. Damn, the Blackstone's gonna be a couple hundred more. 

To add to IP's question, are you an immediate satisfaction kind of person, or willing to go through the trial and error and learning process of a new skill?  Are you willing to potentially have your skating suffer as you learn the Blackstone?  What is that added learning time worth to you?  If it is free, then like IP said, the Blackstone.  If you put a value on your time, think about how long it will take you to learn to sharpen on the Blackstone compared to the Sparx.  Add that to the cost of the machines. 

I recently purchased a machine, I considered the Sparx, Wissota and Blackstone, (X-02 as they've discontinued the 01)

I like to learn things, am mechanically inclined and handy, so I went with the Blackstone.

Getting level edges with the tri lie and butterfly gauge took very little time to learn. I'm definitely not a master sharpener but it has been much easier to put fresh edges on my skates then some threads make it seem.

I liked the spinner dresser for it's accuracy and the ability to use FBV again.

I was torn on the Sparx, but ultimately the newness and reliance on electronics combined with my desire to learn to sharpen skates turned me away.

I own a Blackstone X01, and for me, since I like the "hands on" approach, I prefer it.  I've only seen demos of the Sparx (never actually used one on my skates), but it seems to have it's purpose and market as well.  Keep in mind, for probably the same cost, you'll get many more sharpenings out of the X01, but time is money, and if you don't have time to spend on learning how to sharpen, or want to do other things while the Sparx does it's thing...then that "cost" comes back to you with that machine.  Also, remember the X01 is a true FBV, where the Sparx has the FIRE, but it's not true FBV.

As someone who learned how to sharpen skates about 3 years ago I would say learning how to put level edges on a skate is easy and could be taught in a day or so.  The technique comes with time and experience.  The biggest question to answer is do you have someone who is willing to teach you?  Or are you just going to go in guns blazing, and throw your skates on the holder and go for it?

2 hours ago, 218hockey said:

Is the Blackstone model portable? As in using it in the hotel room at a tournament portable?

Yes it is, you can buy a travel case for it even. 

x-01-case-x-01-carrying-case-lg.jpg 

With the blackstone, I assume you'd need to have a proper ventilation/vac setup to deal with all the metal shavings which is something the Sparx has integrated. For me that was a big consideration when I got the Sparx. 

2 hours ago, 218hockey said:

Is the Blackstone model portable? As in using it in the hotel room at a tournament portable?

It's portable in the sense that you can move it around in a carrying case, but it's not a "grab and go" type of machine IMHO.  For starters, you need to secure it so it doesn't move when you sharpen (the case helps), and the machine also "spits" out a dusting of grinding wheel material (when you dress it) and steel shavings (when you sharpen).  It's also fairly noisy, so not sure your hotel neighbors would be too happy with you...heh.

20 minutes ago, aintitthelife98 said:

With the blackstone, I assume you'd need to have a proper ventilation/vac setup to deal with all the metal shavings which is something the Sparx has integrated. For me that was a big consideration when I got the Sparx. 

You don't necessarily need a ventilation/vac setup with the X01.  I have it in my garage on a workbench, and I don't have any sort of collection system connected to it.  I just brush away the debris left over from the machine each time I use it.  If you're doing high volume (which then, you should be using the X02 at least), then it may be very beneficial to have a collection system attached.

3 hours ago, 218hockey said:

Yes. I'm in Utica in a hotel with mine right now. Just c- clamp it to a desk and take care of business. 

17 hours ago, aintitthelife98 said:

Thats not a concern for me. If I was scared of the shavings I would buy the better machine and wear a simple $0.90 dust mask. 

Getting close to buying the blackstone.  I wouldnt mind sharpening my teamates skates so the machine could pay for itself and I dont want to buy 9 different rings. 

Howdy,

2 hours ago, HarpGuy said:

Thats not a concern for me. If I was scared of the shavings I would buy the better machine and wear a simple $0.90 dust mask. 

Getting close to buying the blackstone.  I wouldnt mind sharpening my teamates skates so the machine could pay for itself and I dont want to buy 9 different rings. 

You'd still have to buy 9 different dressers/spinners, wouldn't you?

Mark

3 hours ago, HarpGuy said:

Tell them to buy their own rings. That makes it really easy because of the chip in the rings that keeps track of how much life is left on the ring. 

5 hours ago, HarpGuy said:

Fair enough. I'm not that familiar with the blackstones but just figured they'd make a mess with metal shavings so you'd need to be thoughtful of the environment they are in. 

Good luck whatever route you go.