Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

beerleaguecaptain

Going Lighter

For years I always bought top of the line gear.  High end protective was like an addiction for me.  The way I figured it I didn't want to get hurt so I might as well get the best stuff.

Well, recently with age and injuries mounting - combined with my lack of skill and talent - I was feeling slower and slower and decided to make a change and get lighter.

I swapped out my CCM U+ Pro shoulders for a pair of modded SherWood 9950.  These made me the most nervous but my modifications have done the trick and they provide enough protection.  I then replaced my Ultra Tacks shins with 6052s and then my 9K elbows with 6052 elbows.  I think I have dropped almost 2 full pounds in gear weight and the truth is I really do feel it on the ice.

Did I drool when I saw the pics of the new Alpha protective line.... yeah... a whore is a whore but the truth is I am better off this way I think!  

Maybe pro pads are for pros... no need for them for a crappy beer leaguer like me!

I've never really felt 'heavy' on ice, maybe that's because I use lower end equipment (the CCM QLT 270 is the nicest piece of protective gear I own), if you end up needing new gear then look at the QX5 / QX4 then.

Did the same last year. It was time to get new stuff and decided not to get top of the line because combining  price and figuring that most shots and bumping against most people I play against aren't hard enough that the better protection would make a difference. Also figured that if I get injured it will be play something stupid that the protective will not make a difference. I still go top end on skates, gloves and helmet though. 

You know.  When I was a kid playing (back in the 90's), this was true.  The top of the line gear was also the heaviest and least mobile.  However, I find this opposite today in regards to weight.  The top of the line gear is some of the lighter stuff in the product lines.  (sticks, protective, helmets, skates, etc)   Take example the CCM RBZ line.  The top of the line pants were the lightest weight pants in the RBZ line until you got to the super low end stuff, which was basically like wearing a shell.  With that said, I think what I've noticed though is that the top of the line stuff, while light, is not as mobile, and that's why sometimes it makes you feel slower, cause you're sacrificing mobility.  The top of the line RBZ pant, while super light, still felt a bit bulky and restrictive, but not heavy.  The only place where I don't think this applies is helmets and sticks.  Top of the line helmets and cages are both some of the lightest and mobile helmets out there.  And of course sticks, the top of the line models are the lightest, but you're sacrificing durability instead of mobility.

I wear top of the line stuff apart from helmet & shoulder pads, since there is no need in beer league.

I did something similar, but I focused on reducing bulk. The Easton ST16 shins and elbows I had would stop a tank, but they were just too damn bulky. I gave up a little protection by switching to RBZ shins but the increase in mobility was worth it. 

At the end of the day though, we're gear whores because we like buying gear. Lower end gear or not, you're still feeding the beast, right. But whatever, you (we) aren't hurting anyone.

19 minutes ago, HarpGuy said:

Try no shoulder pads. That's been working for me for 15 years. 

Haha if I did this one time, I know I'd pay for it. The only times I don't wear full gear is when I'm coaching. You're a braver man than I!

Interestingly enough, I've tried old Easton RS shins before and found that I didn't notice a difference in bulk between them and the comparatively giant EQ50s and now Ultra Tacks. Same with my NXG girdle compared to my Reebok 7000 pants, maybe it is because of my goalie side but everything I wear as a skater feels nonrestrictive. What did you add to the 9950s?

1 hour ago, 215BroadStBullies610 said:

Haha if I did this one time, I know I'd pay for it. The only times I don't wear full gear is when I'm coaching. You're a braver man than I!

Seriously.  The one time you decide you don't need protection, it comes back to bite you.  I always want to switch to a half-visor (which I only use for coaching and stick & pucks, but never for games), but without fail, every time I'm like, "next game I'm going to a visor", someone gets a stick or puck directly into my cage.

1 hour ago, stick9 said:

I did something similar, but I focused on reducing bulk. The Easton ST16 shins and elbows I had would stop a tank, but they were just too damn bulky. I gave up a little protection by switching to RBZ shins but the increase in mobility was worth it. 

At the end of the day though, we're gear whores because we like buying gear. Lower end gear or not, you're still feeding the beast, right. But whatever, you (we) aren't hurting anyone.

I agree the majority of the gear I have is CCM CL and its incredibly light and low profile while being really protective too.

14 hours ago, dkmiller3356 said:

For years I always bought top of the line gear.  High end protective was like an addiction for me.  The way I figured it I didn't want to get hurt so I might as well get the best stuff.

Well, recently with age and injuries mounting - combined with my lack of skill and talent - I was feeling slower and slower and decided to make a change and get lighter.

Did I drool when I saw the pics of the new Alpha protective line.... yeah... a whore is a whore but the truth is I am better off this way I think!  

That's strange to me. If I'm paying for "top of the line" gear it should be the most protective and the the lightest.

11 minutes ago, shoot_the_goalie said:

Seriously.  The one time you decide you don't need protection, it comes back to bite you.  I always want to switch to a half-visor (which I only use for coaching and stick & pucks, but never for games), but without fail, every time I'm like, "next game I'm going to a visor", someone gets a stick or puck directly into my cage.

Haha yes sir. I'm only 28 years old but ALWAYS wear a full cage when I'm on the ice as a player (game, shinny, pickup, etc.). I just wear a bucket when I coach since I sweat too much and don't feel like dealing with a 1/2-er ha.

15 hours ago, nutters said:

Did the same last year. It was time to get new stuff and decided not to get top of the line because combining  price and figuring that most shots and bumping against most people I play against aren't hard enough that the better protection would make a difference. Also figured that if I get injured it will be play something stupid that the protective will not make a difference. I still go top end on skates, gloves and helmet though. 

I also will stick to top end skates for the most part. I prefer the tech mesh so my next Bauer's will have to customs.  As for gloves they are currently top end but not always.. that depends on comfort and fit.  My helmet is up there too... IMS 11... not sure if its THE top but darn close.

13 hours ago, shoot_the_goalie said:

You know.  When I was a kid playing (back in the 90's), this was true.  The top of the line gear was also the heaviest and least mobile.  However, I find this opposite today in regards to weight.  The top of the line gear is some of the lighter stuff in the product lines.  (sticks, protective, helmets, skates, etc)   Take example the CCM RBZ line.  The top of the line pants were the lightest weight pants in the RBZ line until you got to the super low end stuff, which was basically like wearing a shell.  With that said, I think what I've noticed though is that the top of the line stuff, while light, is not as mobile, and that's why sometimes it makes you feel slower, cause you're sacrificing mobility.  The top of the line RBZ pant, while super light, still felt a bit bulky and restrictive, but not heavy.  The only place where I don't think this applies is helmets and sticks.  Top of the line helmets and cages are both some of the lightest and mobile helmets out there.  And of course sticks, the top of the line models are the lightest, but you're sacrificing durability instead of mobility.

I haven't always felt top of the line is lightest.. certainly not in the Tacks line.  It kind of depends  The RBZ line is light but I just don't like the fit and they materials they use.  

4 hours ago, HarpGuy said:

Try no shoulder pads. That's been working for me for 15 years. 

Noooo!!!!!  I'm too afraid!!!

3 hours ago, Hills said:

Interestingly enough, I've tried old Easton RS shins before and found that I didn't notice a difference in bulk between them and the comparatively giant EQ50s and now Ultra Tacks. Same with my NXG girdle compared to my Reebok 7000 pants, maybe it is because of my goalie side but everything I wear as a skater feels nonrestrictive. What did you add to the 9950s?

I added some Farrell cubes in spots.  I'll show you in Toronto!

2 hours ago, 218hockey said:

That's strange to me. If I'm paying for "top of the line" gear it should be the most protective and the the lightest.

Not always....  depends on the line.  I had two sets of CCM U+_ pro shoulders.  One retail the other pro stock.  The pro stock were much beefier and heavier.  I also have the next level down (blue) and they are pretty darn light.

5 hours ago, shoot_the_goalie said:

I've been doing the same, but just when I was going to give it a shot, I took a stick to the face on a face off. 

I upgraded to a nice Reakt cage, Its fine. 

I hear what your saying about the rest of the equipment. Bulk and protection for a pro/semi/jr/hs level player and what I need is overkill. I'll do lower profile, but I need it to be safe.  Helmets get lighter as you get more expensive, so thats good.  Chest for beer league is just about puck/stick protection, so something lower profile.  I've got shins that are way too big and bulky, but they fit, so I'm going to stick wtih them (I"m a weird size).  cheaper pants (lighter - less padding), although I just picked up a girdle to try.  

for me, I'm big so lower profile (and not having to size up to fit is important). 

the RBZ line helped me cut down a lot of the bulk I was wearing but still maintain some decent protection. Even still, I went back to my fit05 shoulders up top, mostly due to better mobility.

I live in a condo and over the past couple years I've had a similar approach; trying to optimize the combination of protection, weight and how much space my gear took up. I ended up making a couple changes. I swapped out my U+Pro shins with U+CLs and I swapped out my Tackla pants with the Supreme One.Matrix pant (SFS SMU based off the One.8). Can't give up my U+Pro shoulders though!

10 hours ago, AIREAYE said:

I live in a condo and over the past couple years I've had a similar approach; trying to optimize the combination of protection, weight and how much space my gear took up. I ended up making a couple changes. I swapped out my U+Pro shins with U+CLs and I swapped out my Tackla pants with the Supreme One.Matrix pant (SFS SMU based off the One.8). Can't give up my U+Pro shoulders though!

I do love those U+ pro shoulders and you never know if I'lll go back to them!  The ones I sold off were pro stock and much heavier than the retail ones I kept.

17 hours ago, Stewie said:

the RBZ line helped me cut down a lot of the bulk I was wearing but still maintain some decent protection. Even still, I went back to my fit05 shoulders up top, mostly due to better mobility.

I LTR'd the RBZ shins and just didn't love the materials or geometry of the pads.  I have Fit09s in storage too!  The design of that era of CCM shoulder pads was really top notch!

Too much stuff in my garage. 

5 hours ago, dkmiller3356 said:

I do love those U+ pro shoulders and you never know if I'lll go back to them!  The ones I sold off were pro stock and much heavier than the retail ones I kept.

I LTR'd the RBZ shins and just didn't love the materials or geometry of the pads.  I have Fit09s in storage too!  The design of that era of CCM shoulder pads was really top notch!

Too much stuff in my garage. 

I thought you LTR the QLT shins. I am not a fan of them either, love the original RBZ but the QLT was too much a departure from the original design and comfort.

23 hours ago, Stewie said:

If you want mobility in a shoulder pad without giving up too much protection check out the Easton CX 07 or CX 09. I have the 07's which are on par protection wise with my V06LE's. They are more mobile and a bit more streamlined. Stupid cheap too. Think I paid $38 at HM for them

1 hour ago, Stewie said:

I thought you LTR the QLT shins. I am not a fan of them either, love the original RBZ but the QLT was too much a departure from the original design and comfort.

correct... my bad.

be like me, Have two surgically repaired shoulders and don't use shoulder pads :laugh:    Actually never hurt my shoulders in beer league, American Football did that. 

Yeah, a couple years ago, I also decided to go lighter.  I wasn't getting injured, and wasn't playing high level hockey, so I didn't need heavy protection.  I put away my Jofa shins and Tackla pants, and switched to RBZ shins and pants.  It's worked out great.  I never needed beefy shoulder pads ever.  I've been using Reebok 7k shoulders for a long time and they work fine.  The new shoulders seem to be made for American football linebackers.

My personal opinion is to get higher end equipment where it's needed. Shin guards, skates, and elbow pads I personally like higher end protection. With items such as shoulder pads, helmets, pants, and gloves, I can skimp out. I especially went cheap (Winwell DZL Classics) for shoulder pads. I enjoy the mobility of that level of protection up top. It's all preference and budget.

2 hours ago, vinprun71 said:

My personal opinion is to get higher end equipment where it's needed. Shin guards, skates, and elbow pads I personally like higher end protection. With items such as shoulder pads, helmets, pants, and gloves, I can skimp out. I especially went cheap (Winwell DZL Classics) for shoulder pads. I enjoy the mobility of that level of protection up top. It's all preference and budget.

I agree with most of this. Skates, shoulder pads, and shin guards are important to me since they cover the most and are more likely to get hit while blocking shots. So is my helmet because of my experience with concussions. For my current helmet though I like to follow the Virginia Tech ratings system because "top of the line" isn't necessarily best.