Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

RWB

What material is used to make skates that can be baked or heat molded?

I made a thread a few days ago about a pair of NOS Mission NME Nine-1 skates I bought last week. I asked some questions about baking, and I'm grateful for the replies. But they did pique my curiosity. Does anyone know precisely what kind of synthetic material is used to make skates that can be heat molded? I would imagine there is some particular plastic with some trade name, probably from Dupont, Dow Chemical, BASF, or some other manufacturer. Any insight would be appreciated.

Current high end Bauer skates are made from a polypropylene composite material under the brand name Curve.  Curve is made by a company named Propex.  Here is the link:  http://www.curvonline.com/index.html

There are other similar materials available to manufacturers.  I do not know what composite materials others use.  CCM is using carbon fiber weave.  I am sure it has some composite components that make it more heat moldable.  Not sure what they are and I am not a chemical engineer so I really have no clue about how that stuff all works.  

Older skates (and yes some are still available) were made of what was called "Tech Mesh."  Again, not quite sure about the materials used in them to create thermoform ability. I'd assume that there are plastics or similar composite materials in a mesh layering with other materials.

Some skates do have thermoformable shells, but the majority of the benefit from "baking" skates is in the foams used for ankle padding, tongues, etc.

Kydex is a thermo moldable plasic that is use in holster for guns and sheaths for tools and knifes.  Comes in a variety of thickness. Both my sons nexus and my alkalis seem to havethin plastic in the quarters.

There are many thermoplastics out there, but only a few become adequatly pliable at relatively low temperatures which is important for preserve integrity of adhesives and plastic skate holders. Kydex temp is over 350F, a temp which would damage holders and probably ruin padding material. Things like CURV, is a fiber reinforced thermoplastic that is suitable to make most of the quarter. Some now use similar plastic reinforced by carbon-fiber to improve appeal as well as to further reduce weight such as SuperTacks and VH, nylon fiber, polyester and glass fibers are also viable... Graf PeakSpeed I believe use nylon fiber. Looks like FT1 might be nylon fiber as well. Obviously the actual resin used in these composites would vary as well from one manufacturer to the next.