Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

scott8659

Nexus 7000 vs new N9000

What are the main differences between these 2 skates.  I've read the technical descriptions but I'm not sure what it means.  Is there a fit difference between the 2 skates?  I tried on the N9000 but was unsure of the heel lock and didn't want to commit $400 to have them baked.  I'm currently in Supreme 180's but would like more volume.

Comparing (ok, copying and pasting here because I'm lazy) their specs side-by-side on Hockey Monkey for differences (which I've bolded):

Nexus 7000:

• Player Profile- Tradition meets technology, for the player who is looking for maximum comfort and explosive acceleration

Fit Profile- Classic, anaform fit - anatomically correct boot and insole / most depth, most wrap, wide width and deep-V heel

Heat Moldable- Yes

Quarter Package- Ultra lightweight tech mesh with integrated Speed Flex channels

Heel Support- Patented pro-integrated, anatomical heel/ankle support

Ankle Padding- Anaform foam ankle pads

Tendon Guard- Traditional flex

Lining Material- HYDRA MAX Mesh

Tongue- 48 oz. 2-piece thick felt with high-density 3-layer metatarsal guard

Footbed- FORM-FIT+ with grip, moisture management and heel stabilizer

Outsole- Full composite

Blade Holder- TUUK Lightspeed EDGE

Runner- TUUK LS2 Stainless Steel

Weight (gm)- 846

Weight (oz)- 29.84

Nexus N9000: 

• Player Profile- Designed for the skater looking to make game-changing plays with the skate built for responsiveness and ultimate control

Fit Profile- Classic fit - wide, volume fit from toe to heel, deepest hell pocket with soft feel

Heat Moldable- Yes

Quarter Package- 3-D lasted Curv composite upper

Heel Support- Deep V Heel Fit

Ankle Padding- Lightweight memory foam ankle pads

Tendon Guard- Traditional Flex

Lining Material- HydraMax 2 mesh liner

Tongue- 3-piece 48 oz felt with molded metatarsal guard

Footbed- Form-Fit+ with girp, moisture management, heel stabilizer

Outsole- Pro TPU with sublimated graphic

Blade Holder- TUUK Lightspeed Edge

Runner- TUUK LS3 stainless steel

Weight (gm)- 848

Weight (oz)- 29.91

Fit-wise, the skates should be the same, as all the Nexus line of skates have the traditional fit (wide throughout with a deep heel pocket). This should also cover your want for a skate with more volume. The technical differences, it really depends on what level you're playing at, as some specs would be better utilized at a high level of hockey.

For what it's worth, looking at the N9000 a second time might not be a bad idea. Glancing at the specs list, they seem to have the better features, albeit at a higher price.

If you are suspicious of the heel fit, I'd see if there is a difference in how moldable the boots are after baking.  It sounds like the Nexus heels are too big and you'd need to focus specifically on reducing negative space there once heated.  The Supremes will have a snugger heel by design. 

You might want to look into some Nexus V skates (believe they are pro stock or custom only though).  Believe they have a narrow heel, but more volume up front. 

I've been told the newer Nexus line isn't as wide as the old line was. Which I tend to believe since I was a little surprised by the width of the ankle area on the N9000.