Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

canqingz

Best solution for P19 replacement?

CCM is no longer making P19 curve.

I tried Bauer P92/P29, Warrior W03 and Easton E3, and none of these felt right. All of these curves seem to have a deeper pocket than P19 does.

I think all I need is a shallower and less opened P92/P29/W03/E3. So I need you guys to give me some advice on what to try next.

Thanks!

1 hour ago, canqingz said:

I tried Bauer P92/P29, Warrior W03 and Easton E3, and none of these felt right. All of these curves seem to have a deeper pocket than P19 does.

I think all I need is a shallower and less opened P92/P29/W03/E3. So I need you guys to give me some advice on what to try next.

Thanks!

I heard it was making a comeback with the ST2.0 and FT1 lines 

Another P19 thread....so pardon my snarkyness.

Honestly, go buy a cheap shaft and experiment with blades until you find one you like, then buy that 1-piece. Or you could look at the CCM blade chart because there is something listed there that fits your description.

3 hours ago, canqingz said:

Thanks!

My brother... I feel your pain.  If you stay CCM, what has worked for me is the P40. I like the squarish toe and the shorter blade. It's got a decent pocket, but not too much, and it's closed.

If you leave CCM, then there's True's MC or  Bauer's P88 / Warrior W88 which are pretty close and an easy transition so you don't end up relying on another 'unique' pattern that gets discontinued in the future.

The Tavares P45 would be of interest, except that like the P19, it's probably too rare to rely on. If you don't like the P92/29/E3/etc then your safest bet is getting used to the P40/P88/W88/MC if you want to keep your stick options open, and not be frequently having to adapt to a brand new curve.

colins

44 minutes ago, colins said:

My brother... I feel your pain.  If you stay CCM, what has worked for me is the P40. I like the squarish toe and the shorter blade. It's got a decent pocket, but not too much, and it's closed.

If you leave CCM, then there's True's MC or  Bauer's P88 / Warrior W88 which are pretty close and an easy transition so you don't end up relying on another 'unique' pattern that gets discontinued in the future.

The Tavares P45 would be of interest, except that like the P19, it's probably too rare to rely on. If you don't like the P92/29/E3/etc then your safest bet is getting used to the P40/P88/W88/MC if you want to keep your stick options open, and not be frequently having to adapt to a brand new curve.

colins

I dont see what p40 / p45 has to to with P92 clones, they play so different, someone used to the p19 with probably be better off with a p92 clone, I do like the p19/29, but have zero problems adjusting to something like a p92 from Bauer that i also use. 

OP you can look into older CCM / Reebok sticks that use Crosby / Ovechkin / Nugent-Hopkins as its the same curve as the p19. 

1 minute ago, icewalker_bg said:

I dont see what p40 / p45 has to to with P92 clones, they play so different, someone used to the p19 with probably be better off with a p92 clone, I do like the p19/29, but have zero problems adjusting to something like a p92 from Bauer that i also use. 

OP you can look into older CCM / Reebok sticks that use Crosby / Ovechkin / Nugent-Hopkins as its the same curve as the p19. 

Read closely though what OP said. He liked the P19 but doesn't like P92 and clones. I'm the same way. Finding P19's as prostock is an option, but if you want the convenience of being able to pick up retail sticks on short notice, you'll need to find a retail alternative.

I stand by what I said - if you like the P19 but not P92 and clones, try P40 or P88 and clones. OP (like me) finds P92 and clones too open in the toe pocket - so the alternative is to go closed (P40, P88 and clones) without going for a crazy deep curve.

colins

Some people don't seem to relate to how you can like the P19 and not the P92 / E3 etc. Some people have said the P19 and P92/E3 are essentially the same curve. They aren't - there's something very different about how they play (for some players at least) due to the openness and depth of the toe portion of the curve.

I found as a P88 fan I can use and really like the P19. I don't use or like the P92 / E3 (I've tried them many times - I *can* use them, but I don't like them, they don't suit my game). I think it has as much to do with how the P92 plays for the backhand and passing as it does the shooting - maybe even more so.

colins

7 minutes ago, colins said:

Read closely though what OP said. He liked the P19 but doesn't like P92 and clones. I'm the same way. Finding P19's as prostock is an option, but if you want the convenience of being able to pick up retail sticks on short notice, you'll need to find a retail alternative.

I stand by what I said - if you like the P19 but not P92 and clones, try P40 or P88 and clones. OP (like me) finds P92 and clones too open in the toe pocket - so the alternative is to go closed (P40, P88 and clones) without going for a crazy deep curve.

colins

I read closely what he said, its good that it worked for you, but suggesting p40 to get used to over a p19 is weird, they play so different in many aspects...

The P19 is NOT a P92 clone.....it's just not. It's part of the reason why CCM bailed on it for the P29. I don't get why people are so hung up on that. The P19 is a straight up mid curve, moderate depth with an open face. The P92 is a mid/toe, deep curve with a very open face. Sure they are both mid curves with open faces, but they are not clones. 

The closet thing you'll get to the P19 is the W03. I pictured the two side by side when I reviewed the HD1. People who want to stick with CCM should look at a P45, only difference there is the tow is slightly squared.

Oh btw, me do i dont completely agree with the p92 and prefer the slightly more closed p19 / older ccm 164-1 with a bit less toe, but the Kane style curves never worked for me. But i do find the P29 a nice medium between the p19 and p92 curves. 

3 minutes ago, icewalker_bg said:

Oh btw, me do i dont completely agree with the p92 and prefer the slightly more closed p19 / older ccm 164-1 with a bit less toe, but the Kane style curves never worked for me. But i do find the P29 a nice medium between the p19 and p92 curves. 

Bang on, good way to transition between the two.

When I talked to the CCM rep about the P19 going away, he suggested trying the P29.

4 minutes ago, stick9 said:

The P19 is NOT a P92 clone.....it's just not. It's part of the reason why CCM bailed on it for the P29. I don't get why people are so hung up on that. The P19 is a straight up mid curve, moderate depth with an open face. The P92 is a mid/toe, deep curve with a very open face. Sure they are both mid curves with open faces, but they are not clones. 

The closet thing you'll get to the P19 is the W03. I pictured the two side by side when I reviewed the HD1. People who want to stick with CCM should look at a P45, only difference there is the tow is slightly squared.

I agree the word "clone" is a bit too strong. They are very similar but different at the same time, most people do not have issues adjusting to either pretty quick. 

The p45 is completely closed i believe, itll be a struggle to lift the puck for some. 

23 minutes ago, icewalker_bg said:

I agree the word "clone" is a bit too strong. They are very similar but different at the same time, most people do not have issues adjusting to either pretty quick. 

The p45 is completely closed i believe, itll be a struggle to lift the puck for some. 

I just purchased a P45, so allow me to weigh in after some driveway shooting. It's not "hard" to get lift for me, but it requires a different shooting style (snapshots) than I normally employ (which is basically just throwing a saucer pass at the net, but harder, worked with the P88). Did not work terribly well with the P46 and W03 which was a "pull the puck in and snap wrists". 

I think I agree with colins. Actually, P40 is  on top of my list to try. Having had colins' input, I am almost certain that p40 will work out for me. I will probably order a p40 Speedburner(or something cheaper with p40) from online.(my LHS only holds stock in P29 and P92)

To icewalker, I really feel the difference between p19 and p29 and am having trouble adjusting.

To me, p29 is pretty much the same as p92, both too deep and too open for me.

Also, I think I will give p45 a shot. Coz I used to play with pm9 and had no problem lifting the puck.

Again, Thank all of you for the info!

1 hour ago, stick9 said:

The W03 sticks (DT1 Draper and QRL Pro Backstrom) I have I would describe as E3 clones. Pretty much identical to E3 / P92 in the amount of depth and openness and positioning of the pocket of the curve on the sticks I have.

P45 is a good suggestion, but how easy is it to find? I don't see it listed as an option on all CCM sticks and I don't see it much in stores when I'm browsing their selection. Nearly every shop carries the P29 and P40 in decent quantities, if you can make a transition to one of those you're better off in terms of keeping your options open. After getting burned by the P19 disappearance, I'm not planning on getting myself or my kids hooked on a low volume curve again.

colins

11 minutes ago, canqingz said:

I think I agree with colins. Actually, P40 is  on top of my list to try. Having had colins' input, I am almost certain that p40 will work out for me. I will probably order a p40 Speedburner(or something cheaper with p40) from online.(my LHS only holds stock in P29 and P92)

To icewalker, I really feel the difference between p19 and p29 and am having trouble adjusting.

Also, I think I will give p45 a shot. Coz I used to play with pm9 and had no problem lifting the puck.

If you had no issues lifting the puck with the pm9, then it should work for you. That is the main  turn off for me, how closed they are these curves. Its like night and day shooting with the p19 and the p40.

No idea where you are located, but I might have a Speed Burner team in RH for sale, p40. 

image.jpg 

57_1.jpg

2 minutes ago, icewalker_bg said:

I you had no issues lifting the puck with the pm9, then it should work for you. That is the main  turn off for me, how closed they are these curves. Its like night and day shooting with the p19 and the p40.

No idea where you are located, but I might have a Speed Burner team in RH for sale, p40. 

image.jpg 

57_1.jpg

I am located really far away...in China :) And I am a lefty>_<

Thank you!

42 minutes ago, canqingz said:

Yes, but how?

You mean lifting the puck?

I don't really know how...it just happens. And I even think what lifts the puck on pm9 for me also poses a problem in getting myself used to p92.

17 minutes ago, canqingz said:

You mean lifting the puck?

I don't really know how...it just happens. And I even think what lifts the puck on pm9 for me also poses a problem in getting myself used to p92.

Yes, with my old pm9. I don't use it anymore, but when I did use it getting lift was hard.