Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

flip12

Older Model Graf Super 301's, How Good/Durable Were They?

I saw these on eBay and was curious, how good were these 301's? They look to be the same construction as the 501's. I'm guessing they're just less stiff?

s-l1600.jpg

I did a search, but couldn't find out if the Graf 301's referenced a few years back here were the same model or the terrible silver and black model from the mid 2000's:

10-4588.jpg

I had the Silver and Black ones from the mid 2000s.  I believe I paid around $250-$300 retail price for them so mid level.  I played with them for about 4 years, and they held up well.  They where the wrong size for me, and where about a size and a half too big.

Here are a picture of mine, about 2 years in.  I admit I am not very hard on skates though

photo2.jpg

photo3.jpg

photo4.jpg

Should be basically the same fit parameters as the 501.  But more of a lower/mid level spec compared to the 501 (and I assume 701, based on my knowledge of Graf's naming/numbering scheme).  Usually not as stiff, not top quality materials, possibly less foam/padding or not as strategically used, etc. to get the price down from the elite offerings.  I know my 535 are definitely not as stiff as the 735. 

2 hours ago, krisdrum said:

Should be basically the same fit parameters as the 501.  But more of a lower/mid level spec compared to the 501 (and I assume 701, based on my knowledge of Graf's naming/numbering scheme).  Usually not as stiff, not top quality materials, possibly less foam/padding or not as strategically used, etc. to get the price down from the elite offerings.  I know my 535 are definitely not as stiff as the 735. 

I was thinking the same as you. I don't skate every day anymore so maybe a less stiff 501 would work for me. From the pictures I've seen, they seem to be made with high quality surface materials, but they could have used less expensive stiffeners in the quarters I suppose. That might not be such a bad thing.

2 hours ago, clarkiestooth said:

I wore the Graf 703 back in the  early 2000's. Great skate and well made, especially compared to the craftsmanship of today.

I think the 703 is the perfect skate for me. I've never had a pair in the right size, but the ones I've tried, both too small and too large, had just the right level of support and flex for my mechanics, as well as the perfect foot last/profile. I keep my eyes open for size 10 703's, but I don't have the money to buy them right now anyhow.

I've tried newer skates and keep finding them lacking in the qualities that make me appreciate classic Grafs. Especially the fit over the forefoot, right at the base of the toes. No other skate I've tried has the same level of feel, although my MLXs came close.

31 minutes ago, icewalker_bg said:

I know a guy that sells a pretty much new pair of 703, but in 10.5

That may work for him. I think the Grafs run a half size smaller than modern Bauer. for example, I wear 7.5 in the 703, but 7 in the current Bauer line.

Agreed, i am a size 7 in your "common" brands, and years ago when i tried a graf 735 (amazing heel lock btw, but boot way too soft) i had to get a 8r. 

And i am most positive that flip12 knows exactly what size he needs, at this point its whether a .5 makes a difference for him. I care, but i know people that dont care if its .5 bigger and doesnt chance anything in their game. 

19 hours ago, clarkiestooth said:

That may work for him. I think the Grafs run a half size smaller than modern Bauer. for example, I wear 7.5 in the 703, but 7 in the current Bauer line.

10.5 would work as well. I've tried 9.5 and 11. 11 was a bit sloppy, especially as they broke completely down. 9.5 was a bit too Paul Coffey for my pain threshold. I haven't tried on a Bauer boot in a while, but I'm a dead on 9 JetSpeed so I figure about a 9.5 Vapor. Skating as infrequently as I do, I've decided to settle my size experiments and just go with what I know is good for me. Classic Grafs are getting hard to find so I'm starting to keep my eyes open.

20 hours ago, icewalker_bg said:

I know a guy that sells a pretty much new pair of 703, but in 10.5

I'll pm you.