Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

jgold47

Super feet to speed plates?

For those of you that did, did you do anything to compensate for the lack of heel lift?  I tried my speedplates, and kept wanting to fall over backwards.  was very noticeable for me. I had been on a +1 pitch w/superfeet....   I only skated in the new speed plates for about 30 minutes.

should I just keep skating in them until I adapt, or should I get re profiled to a +2

Thanks

3 hours ago, canard said:

I changed from Superfeet Carbon to Speedplates and it only took a couple of skates to adjust.  Speedplates are the best!

Thanks - did you have any initial discomfort from rebalancing? Were you already using a forward pitched skate?. 

Try them a couple more times. Most people can adapt OK. If can't adjust (or don't want to adjust) then just do a minor blade profile. 

I made the switch 3 skates ago and its taking some time to adjust, but the edge control seems worth it. I'm using muscles im not used to using, thats for sure. 

I felt the lack of heel lift with my Makos and almost switched the speedplates back out. Then I rebaked my skates and started using Stable 26 socks, now they feel perfect. 

yeah - I wound up getting a little extra forward pitch on my skates, but now I feel like I'm falling forward, so I need to figure out something different.  I probably should have stayed with something more neutral (or just +1) and gotten used to the speed plates.  I do really like the way they feel though!

I tried going the other way from speedplates to SF carbons and I had to switch back. The pitch/depth change was too noticeable. If I were you and I were set on the speedplates, I would profile to a more forward pitch to get the feel you are looking for. Best of luck.

On 3/25/2017 at 11:14 AM, canard said:

I changed from Superfeet Carbon to Speedplates and it only took a couple of skates to adjust.  Speedplates are the best!

Is this another Bauer product they were having quality issues with? Or is this something else?

14 minutes ago, 218hockey said:

Is this another Bauer product they were having quality issues with? Or is this something else?

Only thing I have seen is a few people saying that the speed plates developed a crack.  Being that they are very hard plastic type material I can see how this is possible.  I can attest to the fact that the product does certainly do what it says it does (mold to your skate and foot completely, greatly improve stability by locking your foot in place) and I hope mine dont crack because they are a fantastic product performance wise.

When you guys switched did you rebake your skates with the plates or just do the baking of the plates?  Have a set coming in the mail next week and making the switch from SF yellow to SP.

8 minutes ago, Ranger-#8 said:

When you guys switched did you rebake your skates with the plates or just do the baking of the plates?  Have a set coming in the mail next week and making the switch from SF yellow to SP.

In theory, I believe it would be recommended to rebake the skates after swapping out the SF yellow to SP simply because the heel is going to be in a different (lower) position.  With that being said, I switched from SP to SF yellow (never did a rebake) and haven't had any issues.  

3 hours ago, Ranger-#8 said:

I'm pretty sure you have to rebake your skates, but I'm not 100% positive.

One a side note, does anyone have the CCM Jetspeed's and use the Speed Plate's in them? How is that? I'm considering buying the CCM Jetspeed LE. Pro hockey Life is selling them for $399.99.

On 4/27/2017 at 0:48 PM, Shogun said:

I'm pretty sure you have to rebake your skates, but I'm not 100% positive.

One a side note, does anyone have the CCM Jetspeed's and use the Speed Plate's in them? How is that? I'm considering buying the CCM Jetspeed LE. Pro hockey Life is selling them for $399.99.

i got jetspeeds with speed plates. feels just fine. speedplates are thinner than ccm insoles so there's more volume. speedplates were clearly designed for low volume skates like vapors, so keep that in mind. 

15 hours ago, innotastic said:

i got jetspeeds with speed plates. feels just fine. speedplates are thinner than ccm insoles so there's more volume. speedplates were clearly designed for low volume skates like vapors, so keep that in mind. 

I've heard there is compatibility issues with Speed Plate's in other skates (not Bauer's). I ended up buying the Jetspeed FT1's and I barely fail the pencil test with Superfeet Carbon Pro's in them. I know the Speed Plate's are thinner than Superfeet.

just swapped my superfeet yellows to speedplates today. rebaked my skates along with the sppedplates. the fit is unreal. one thing i already didn't like was how rough the outer edge of the speed plates is, though. so i sanded the edges down cause i could already feel them digging into my feet without even skating on them yet

so just got my first skate in with the speed plates and holy hell are these things unreal. maybe because I re-baked the skates along with the insoles and others didn't, but there was zero adjustment for me. they felt amazing as soon as I took my first stride. fit and heel lock is so much better compared to the superfeet, ice feel is night and day difference. feels like my feet are glued into the skates and my edgework and power transfer and everything is so much better as a result. I was worried after reading all the comments on here about people not being able to adjust and switching back. no going back for me, I'm head over heels in love with these things. 

10 hours ago, asgoodasdead said:

so just got my first skate in with the speed plates and holy hell are these things unreal. maybe because I re-baked the skates along with the insoles and others didn't, but there was zero adjustment for me. they felt amazing as soon as I took my first stride. fit and heel lock is so much better compared to the superfeet, ice feel is night and day difference. feels like my feet are glued into the skates and my edgework and power transfer and everything is so much better as a result. I was worried after reading all the comments on here about people not being able to adjust and switching back. no going back for me, I'm head over heels in love with these things. 

What skates do you have?

Interested to try the SpeedPlates in my Makos, but not sure if I wanna rebake my Makos, as I have the PowerFeet inserts in at the toe. Maybe the PowerFeet guy @MikeBoyarchuk can weigh in, if it's ok to bake a skate with the PowerFeet installed, or do I need to take them out, and reinstall them?

9 hours ago, Shogun said:

What skates do you have?

Graf 703s (early 00s made in Canada ones I scored barely worn on eBay for $90 2 years ago after wearing the same exact pair for 15 years) with step steel blades in the stock Cobras

8 hours ago, Cosmic said:

Interested to try the SpeedPlates in my Makos, but not sure if I wanna rebake my Makos, as I have the PowerFeet inserts in at the toe. Maybe the PowerFeet guy @MikeBoyarchuk can weigh in, if it's ok to bake a skate with the PowerFeet installed, or do I need to take them out, and reinstall them?

re-bake them at home. it's 30 minutes out of your day/life and worth it 

5 minutes ago, asgoodasdead said:

re-bake them at home. it's 30 minutes out of your day/life and worth it 

It's not a time issue. I am about to go on vacation, and when I go on vacation, it is almost a one hour drive to Hockey Monkey, bake whatever needs baking there, try on everything new, shoot some pucks at the range, maybe hit some balls in the batting cage, buy some stuff- I can spend a day of this (and enjoy every minute), a few times per summer. Oh yea, and then I go to the Dainese store in OC too, and try on gear there too, and may grab the MIG pants if I like them. 

It's an issue of whether baking skates, with the Powerfeet inserts in, will ruin the Powerfeet inserts. If I take out the Powerfeet inserts, then I am just concerned that I will not be able to get them back in, as I expect that the application is a one time deal. It is more about a $20 issue of the Powerfeet inserts, I guess, and whether they will make a mess inside the toe, if I leave them in when I bake them.