Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

psyx

Where to get cheaper dry fit hockey socks in Canada

Something like Tron, etc. 

Most of the sites I've found are American based, anyone know if anything based in Canada which would have better shipping rates?

Are you talking about skate socks (inner) or hockey socks (outer)? 

Reebok, Bauer, Firstar, Athletic Knit are the ones that I can think of for socks. All of them should be available in Canada. Check amazon or eBay as well. 

The site, based in Montreal, carries the Tron socks and has free shipping over $99 if you're planning to order in bulk: https://besthockey.ca/collections/hockey-socks

You can save 20% off the listed prices by using the code TRON20 as indicated at the top of their site.

There used to be a place based in Kitchener that had all the Tron stuff (and used the URL hockeytron.ca), but now focus on roller hockey only (they also changed their domain name). I don't think they have any socks left: https://shopinline.ca/

Avoid Tron. Their socks are thin and will have holes in no time. Unfortunately Tron HQ is literally down the street from my rink, so you see a ton of people with hole-filled socks and player bags. 

With Adidas taking over NHL jerseys starting for the 2017-2018 season, one might expect the Reebok socks to be discounted soon, maybe once the playoffs end?

Having used the Tron socks, I agree that they aren't the most durable socks out there, but the Reebok retail socks and Kamazu socks I've tried have been about the same when it comes to getting holes ect. I've heard the Reebok pro socks are much more durable and know the Bauer socks I've received at MSH events have held up quite well.

If you can grab Pro Hockey socks or Bauer socks that'd be the best option, but I wouldn't pay a significant premium for Reebok retail socks over the Tron socks as I don't find them to hold up much better.

9 minutes ago, althoma1 said:

Having used the Tron socks, I agree that they aren't the most durable socks out there, but the Reebok retail socks and Kamazu socks I've tried have been about the same when it comes to getting holes ect. I've heard the Reebok pro socks are much more durable and know the Bauer socks I've received at MSH events have held up quite well.

If you can grab Pro Hockey socks or Bauer socks that'd be the best option, but I wouldn't pay a significant premium for Reebok retail socks over the Tron socks as I don't find them to hold up much better.

Yea, the pro stock stuff is infinitely better. 

I definitely do think the Reebok is worth the price difference over the Tron stuff though. Reeboks aren't indestructible by any means but when you look around the locker rooms and at other teams and see all the hole-filled Tron socks, it makes you think twice. With Tron HQ being about 10 minutes from here you get to see a huge number of people using their stuff. 

2 hours ago, IPv6Freely said:

I definitely do think the Reebok is worth the price difference over the Tron stuff though. Reeboks aren't indestructible by any means but when you look around the locker rooms and at other teams and see all the hole-filled Tron socks, it makes you think twice. With Tron HQ being about 10 minutes from here you get to see a huge number of people using their stuff. 

For me it'd depend on how big the price gap is - if it's 25% more then the Reebok retail socks would be worth it over the Tron socks, but if they're 100% more expensive I don't think it would. In my experience the Bauer 900 socks are better; so I'd grab those if you're willing to pay the price that the Reebok ones normally sell for. The most durable socks I've used have been the Nike Swift socks, but those aren't exactly easy to find or cheap now.

Having been on teams that have used the Tron socks for our uniforms, as well as owning a few pairs of retail Reebok socks myself, I can tell you the only real difference is the Reebok Edge socks breathe much better. Other than that, they are pretty much a wash in terms of fit and durability in my experiences.  The Tron socks generally run about half the price of the Reebok Edge retail socks. 

Purely aesthetic, but i despise the "Tron" logo on the front of the socks for some reason.

18 minutes ago, OzziesDad said:

Having been on teams that have used the Tron socks for our uniforms, as well as owning a few pairs of retail Reebok socks myself, I can tell you the only real difference is the Reebok Edge socks breathe much better. Other than that, they are pretty much a wash in terms of fit and durability in my experiences.  The Tron socks generally run about half the price of the Reebok Edge retail socks. 

Purely aesthetic, but i despise the "Tron" logo on the front of the socks for some reason.

You can tell me that all you want and I'll happily disagree. The Tron socks are very noticeably thinner. If they weren't, then I'd be curious why so many more Tron sock wearers here have holes. Are people who fall more more inclined to buy Tron, or something? 

Howdy,

1 hour ago, IPv6Freely said:

Maybe you're seeing lots of hole filled Tron socks because there's a huge # of people using their stuff?

:-)

I've not had issues with Tron socks.  So far, their durability seems roughly equivalent to the Bauer ones I got at Winterfest.  I like them.  I particularly like them given that they're a decent bit cheaper than Reebok ones and have velcro on front & back, vs. just front only.

Mark

Just now, marka said:

Howdy,

Maybe you're seeing lots of hole filled Tron socks because there's a huge # of people using their stuff?

:-)

I've not had issues with Tron socks.  So far, their durability seems roughly equivalent to the Bauer ones I got at Winterfest.  I like them.  I particularly like them given that they're a decent bit cheaper than Reebok ones and have velcro on front & back, vs. just front only.

Mark

That's exactly why. Big sample size in this area. The amount of holes between the two brands is night and day. 

There are currently two Tron socks on the market - the solid SK100 socks which are definitely thinner than the Reebok socks and less durable. Then there are the SK300 socks that have the team colours and the stripes and in the description of those socks it says they're a, "Pro Weight Material (thicker construction)". I have owned the SK100 socks and they are certainly thinner than the Reebok socks, but I think the SK300 socks might hold up better than those (I have not owned the SK300 so I can't say for certain). I'm guessing that IPV is seeing a lot of the SK100 socks since they're the cheapest options and most cheap beer league players will go for those.

Howdy,

8 minutes ago, althoma1 said:

There are currently two Tron socks on the market - the solid SK100 socks which are definitely thinner than the Reebok socks and less durable. Then there are the SK300 socks that have the team colours and the stripes and in the description of those socks it says they're a, "Pro Weight Material (thicker construction)". I have owned the SK100 socks and they are certainly thinner than the Reebok socks, but I think the SK300 socks might hold up better than those (I have not owned the SK300 so I can't say for certain). I'm guessing that IPV is seeing a lot of the SK100 socks since they're the cheapest options and most cheap beer league players will go for those.

Ah.  could be.  Mine have all been SK200, which was the "team colors" version before the SK300, I believe.

Mark

41 minutes ago, althoma1 said:

Aren't SK100 just solid colors? If not, then no I'm definitely talking about the SK300 (though yes, plenty of hole-filled solid tron socks as well)

Yes, the SK100 are the solid colour ones. Then there were the SK200 socks that had the team colours and were also thin and discontinued a couple years back (also had a pair of those). The SK300 socks replaced those and are supposed to be thicker/more durable, but I haven't owned those so I can't say for sure. I completely believe you see a lot of Tron socks with holes and know some of the older versions were definitely thinner and less durable than other options, but it is possible the newer SK300 versions are better.

Personally, I'd go for the Bauer 900 socks if possible as they have double the material in the knee area, use 37.5 material, are comfortable and have held up well.

17 minutes ago, althoma1 said:

Yes, the SK100 are the solid colour ones. Then there were the SK200 socks that had the team colours and were also thin and discontinued a couple years back (also had a pair of those). The SK300 socks replaced those and are supposed to be thicker/more durable, but I haven't owned those so I can't say for sure. I completely believe you see a lot of Tron socks with holes and know some of the older versions were definitely thinner and less durable than other options, but it is possible the newer SK300 versions are better.

Personally, I'd go for the Bauer 900 socks if possible as they have double the material in the knee area, use 37.5 material, are comfortable and have held up well.

That definitely could be, then. Especially if they have SK200 discounted or something!

And I agree, I love the Bauer 900 socks. Fantastic. Good size, good stretch, GREAT ventilation. I've been using pro stock socks under my goal pads... really thinking I should try to find them in the Bauer 900 series.

Regarding OP's question on CDN sites with better shipping rates, best scenario if you can combine multiple items into one order might be those with free shipping on minimum $100 such as PHL, or $50 in the case of sportchek.

If you are outfitting a whole squad, consider reaching out to an LHS that does team sales, for example, Source for Sports like The Hockey Shop, which offer a variety of manufacturers to choose from.

7 hours ago, Gswift said:

IMHO:

Reebok pro stock>>Bauer 900 >>

Kobe K3G>Reebok retail>

Athletic Knit>Tron

But, but, but, but... THEY ARE INEXPENSIVE!