Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

S'land9.16.7

Darryl Belfry EB2 Spider

Anyone have any insight on what Darryl Belfry is cooking up? Based on the description he posted it sounds interesting, but also might be too good to be true. My initial thought is its gonna be a custom stick program like Base but who knows.

http://twitdoc.com/view.asp?id=366954&sid=7V56&ext=PDF&lcl=EB2SPIDER-ANNOUNCEMENT.pdf&usr=belfryhockey

It almost sounds like it might be something adjustable in the blade or down towards the blade.  Kind of like what they've been doing with golf clubs with movable weights and adjustable hosels that change loft and lie.

An exaggerated P28, wow. I was thinking a stick and a blade with all types of gadgets and adjustments (thinking, "How the heck is this thing gonna work?", but no such thing.

Well hello, Jai alai.

b4s_jaialai080315b_15653641_8col.jpg

7 hours ago, wHATcOLOR said:

not sure what i was expecting, but here it is.  longer blade w/ a rocker... what are the regulations on the length of the blade?

From the NHL Rule Book

"Section 3, Rule 10 - Sticks

No stick shall exceed sixty-three inches (63") in length from the heel to the end of the shaft nor more than twelve and one-half inches (121/2") from the heel to the end of the blade."

There is no one size fits all...A lot of the teenagers who tried the P28 at our local club hated it and went back to P19's and E3's. How much rocker is just right is a very personal thing. I've played around with a lot of variations close to my preferred rocker profile (E4) and the slightest deviation is noticeable. That's exactly why I think most people would benefit from still using two-piece sticks so they're not deterred from trying out as many patterns as possible (the same advice everyone always gives for finding the best fit in skates) until they get what's best for them.

It'll be interesting to see how this gets received.

1 hour ago, the_game said:

Because the best player in hockey and leading goal scorer needs a toe curve and floating lie for his skill acquisition. 

Sarcasm duly noted. It would be interesting to have a composite pic of the actual curves used by the current NHL top 10 point leaders. Can anyone confirm/correct these for the top 5? Personally, I would hate having to give/receive passes and stick handle with the heel of my stick as in the Belfry videos. But I'm admittedly old school at this point. 

McDavid (similar to P45?)

Crosby (PM9-ish or straighter?)

Kane (P10?)

Backstrom (P92?)

Kucherov (similar to P29?)

colins

Also, just look at what Datsyuk ended up using in his recent years. Practically a goalie blade.

s-l500.jpg

51 minutes ago, colins said:

Sarcasm duly noted. It would be interesting to have a composite pic of the actual curves used by the current NHL top 10 point leaders. Can anyone confirm/correct these for the top 5? Personally, I would hate having to give/receive passes and stick handle with the heel of my stick as in the Belfry videos. But I'm admittedly old school at this point. 

McDavid (similar to P45?)

Crosby (PM9-ish or straighter?)

Kane (P10?)

Backstrom (P92?)

Kucherov (similar to P29?)

colins

He's not a top 10 scorer, but Tavares' pro curve is similar to the P91 according to another hockey forum. (Not sure which one)

Image result for john tavares pro curve

John Tavares CCM Game Used Stick - ROOKIE 

It's possible to be a good shooter without a dual lie toe curve, which is why I don't like the fact that manufacturers (CCM) are forcing it sideways down our throats.

That said, I own a P46.

10 hours ago, Cosmic said:

An exaggerated P28, wow. I was thinking a stick and a blade with all types of gadgets and adjustments (thinking, "How the heck is this thing gonna work?", but no such thing.

Yeah, I was expecting something more than just a new curve from the way they were selling it. Maybe I'm not seeing the potential in this,

5 hours ago, Jamarquan said:

He's not a top 10 scorer, but Tavares' pro curve is similar to the P91 according to another hockey forum. (Not sure which one)

Image result for john tavares pro curve

John Tavares CCM Game Used Stick - ROOKIE 

It's possible to be a good shooter without a dual lie toe curve, which is why I don't like the fact that manufacturers (CCM) are forcing it sideways down our throats.

That said, I own a P46.

Rick Nash  uses what would certainly look to be a PM9;

I have an issue with this guy saying that one specific option is the best for everybody. Like there is no difference at all in how people play and what they want their stick (and curve) to do

On 4/12/2017 at 10:20 AM, the_game said:

Because the best player in hockey and leading goal scorer needs a toe curve and floating lie for his skill acquisition. 

I forget whom, but someone in the Oilers organization in the 80's suggested that Gretzky playing with a right handed stick would just score twice as many backhanders

2 hours ago, Buzz_LightBeer said:

I forget whom, but someone in the Oilers organization in the 80's suggested that Gretzky playing with a right handed stick would just score twice as many backhanders

Apparently there's nothing to use as marketing mumbo jumbo for your stick when only 2 of the best players of all time used such small curves.

On 2017-04-12 at 3:27 AM, wHATcOLOR said:

not sure what i was expecting, but here it is.  longer blade w/ a rocker... what are the regulations on the length of the blade?

That's hilarious. Following this logic, the Kovalev Pro is objectively the best pattern currently available because it's the longest and has the most extreme rocker. Who needs personal preference when you can have a one-size-fits-all pattern?

Honestly, this is worse than the usual hockey stick tech marketing. At least there's science behind the tech - it's not completely subjective like, say, the choice of pattern.