Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

kmfdm86

Toe cap damage?

I'm fairly new to ice, but I play roller and learned how to ice skate as a kid. Never got to play ice hockey though until I got an awesome bonus this year and could go out and buy everything I needed.

So, I was at my second stick and puck ever today working on my skating and my shot (I think I'm better at ice than I am at roller. Haha), I finish up and as I'm getting all my gear off I notice I managed to put a giant gash in my toe cap with the other skate.

Not sure if it happened while I was out there or if it happened as I was getting off. I know how banged up skates can get, but I'm not sure if I should do something about this? Sand down the part that's sticking out and fill it with epoxy or something? Or should I just leave it alone?

All opinions welcome. Thanks for helping a newb. Haha.

20170404_154350_zpslphx5jvn.jpg

20170404_154312_zpsns76whiz.jpg

Looks like a cut from a skate blade. It shouldn't impact on the performance of the skate or cause any long term damage. For aesthetics you could trim and tidy it up, fill it with some plastic weld and then paint it or otherwise just leave it.

You should also have a close look at the stitching above the cut and make sure none of the threads there are damaged. If they are put something like superglue or epoxy onto them to stop the threads unravelling further.

Yeah, I figured it was from the skate blade. I just wasn't sure what I was doing when it happened. My primary concern is structural integrity. I don't want it to blow up on me. Haha.

Thanks for the tips.

Maybe fold the cut plastic back into the gap with a wood burner and then sand? I'm assuming the properties of the polymer will allow for that as it's not likely a thermoset polymer

It could be anything. If you fall, it can happen. Maybe your feet touched crossing over some how. You never know. I had the same thing happen to the top of my toe cap only a couple of weeks after purchasing my skates. It isn't aesthetically pleasing, but they've held up just fine.