Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

clarkiestooth

Skate Socks

I'm curious about what you guys use for skate socks. I've used a super thin "sanitary baseball" style sock since the 1970's, preferring the next-to-nothing feel. I think you get much better responsiveness from the skate. I've recently ordered a couple different pairs of supposedly thin skating socks from the usual online suppliers, only to find that they are thicker, like an ordinary tube sock. It's impossible to tell thickness over the internet unfortunately. Anyone have a super thin recommendation?

Howdy,

I use these (edit:Bauer NG Core Performance) and find them to be quite thin.  Certainly nothing like a tube sock.

http://www.icewarehouse.com/descpage-BNCLSS.html?gclid=CjwKEAjwq5LHBRCN0YLf9-GyywYSJAAhOw6mkvpjUcp1tZSzZH_cli77ZIBGIbR02ItRRlQy8GOFdBoC1ovw_wcB

I have no idea how they compare to what you're using now though.

I seem to recall seeing them in many hockey shops, so you should be able to check them out in person?

Mark

Swiftwick makes really nice thin socks.  Haven't tried the hockey specific ones, but the shorter length socks are pretty darn thin and "second skin" around the foot, but a bit thicker (and compression) up above the ankle.  Most cycling specific socks are also very thin, moisture wicking options.  Nothing like a cotton tube sock.

1 hour ago, krisdrum said:

Swiftwick makes really nice thin socks.  Haven't tried the hockey specific ones, but the shorter length socks are pretty darn thin and "second skin" around the foot, but a bit thicker (and compression) up above the ankle.  Most cycling specific socks are also very thin, moisture wicking options.  Nothing like a cotton tube sock.

The Swiftwick socks have been the best I've ever used.  I have trouble finding them locally so I've settled for the Bauer premium socks.

8 minutes ago, mickz said:

The Swiftwick socks have been the best I've ever used.  I have trouble finding them locally so I've settled for the Bauer premium socks.

Yeah, incredible for cycling too.  I luckily "stumbled" upon them when I won 2 pair in a contest I entered.  Probably would have never tried them otherwise.  Basically all I skate in. 

I always used to go barefoot, but started wearing socks a few years ago since I noticed I went through skates much faster barefoot...I sweat like crazy and definitely feel like it was breaking down my skates more.  I've settled on the base level "core" Bauer socks - I've found them to be thinner than the more premium versions they offer.  Pretty happy with them. 

3 hours ago, krisdrum said:

These are what I use. Aspire four. They're extremely form fitting and the compression above the ankle is nice. I especially like them because of how short goalie skates are, so it's also a bit of added protection from the top edge of the skates. Not sure if needed, but hey why not. 

I use Darn Tough hiking socks.  100% merino.  wicks sweat, antimicrobial, and super soft.   Buy the ultra light, don't get the cushioned ones, well not for hockey.  I have some of the cushioned ones for all the boy scouts stuff i have to do now with my oldest. and they too, are the best sock i've EVER worn 

Go figure, these are the ones I rock.  and I'll grab a pair anytime i have an extra 20 bucks kicking round  (yes, yes. i know $20 is a lot for socks.)

Edit: and they are guaranteed for life 

I've got 2 pairs of the Under Armour Hockey Liner socks (https://www.underarmour.com/en-ca/mens-hockey-liner-sock/pid8503173) & 1 pair of the UA Elite Liner Socks (https://www.underarmour.com/en-us/1240856/pcid1240856_.  The Elite version is definitely thinner & therefore I like them a bit better.  I prefer the black liner socks to the white (I have 2 pairs of white ones that I used to use for hockey, but now they mainly get used if I go to a public skate).