Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

marka

Does cheap LS2 compatible steel exist?

Howdy,

So, my son somehow managed to snap one of the runners in his skates last night.  LS2, 238mm.

These are PIA used skates (Vapor X5.0) I bought for ~$30.  I'd really rather not drop $50 on new steel for them, particularly with him being 10 and therefore going to grow out of them in 6 months or so.  I've checked HM & Total.  Currently have an offer in on ebay for some LS2.1 steel at ~$30 shipped.

Any other options out there?  He's a "once a week" entertainment / whatever skater, not a travel team player or whatever.  But he likes the fit of these skates and the closest PIA is an hour away so I'll pay $50 if I have to, I guess.

Mark

I'm no help with the cheap steel, but as I recall LS2.1 Power steel was for supreme skates, and a touch too long for Vapor use. Someone probably remembers better than I though

Howdy,

My understanding is that the LS2.1 Power steel fits the normal LS2 holder that both the Vapor and Supreme use, but is slightly longer with the same radius.

We'll see... I literally just accepted a counter offer from that set on ebay.  :-)

Mark

11 hours ago, Buzz_LightBeer said:

I'm no help with the cheap steel, but as I recall LS2.1 Power steel was for supreme skates, and a touch too long for Vapor use. Someone probably remembers better than I though

Are you thinking of the LS2P steel that was used on the clear blue Tuuk holders that came with the ONE90?

I had the LS2.1 Power steel on my old One95's, this was the updated version of the LS2 Power on the One90's that came with the notorious blue holder. It will fit the Tuuk Lightspeed II holders but like Buzz said, it is longer steel.

2.1 fits in standard LS/LS2 holders, but the bigger issue is that the 2.1 still is different than what he's used on.  Why change the feel of the skate just to save a few bucks?  

Howdy,

58 minutes ago, JR Boucicaut said:

2.1 fits in standard LS/LS2 holders, but the bigger issue is that the 2.1 still is different than what he's used on.  Why change the feel of the skate just to save a few bucks?  

1) I don't think it'll be a big deal.  If the radius is the same as reported, I wouldn't think the feel would change that much?

2) He also plays goal and I figured if anything longer steel might make his player skates and goalie skates a little more similar.

3) It's 25 bucks.  :-)

Mark

5 hours ago, marka said:

Howdy,

1) I don't think it'll be a big deal.  If the radius is the same as reported, I wouldn't think the feel would change that much?

2) He also plays goal and I figured if anything longer steel might make his player skates and goalie skates a little more similar.

3) It's 25 bucks.  :-)

Mark

Why would you want the goalie skates and player skates to feel similar? They are supposed to be different for a reason since they serve completely different purposes.

Howdy,

9 minutes ago, Hills said:

Why would you want the goalie skates and player skates to feel similar? They are supposed to be different for a reason since they serve completely different purposes.

The point is that today he switches from LS2 steel in Vapors to goalie skates and back again without any significant issue.  I seriously doubt he, particularly as a rec level player, is even going to notice a difference between LS2 and LS2.1 steel.

But we'll see.  I'm sure I'm going to damage him forever.  At least he'll have something to talk about in the therapist's office.

Mark

Honestly, you may have been better off trying to find a pair of used skates with the same size holder and pulling the steel from them.

I had the LS2.1 steel in my Supremes and hated the feel.

22 hours ago, marka said:

Howdy,

The point is that today he switches from LS2 steel in Vapors to goalie skates and back again without any significant issue.  I seriously doubt he, particularly as a rec level player, is even going to notice a difference between LS2 and LS2.1 steel.

But we'll see.  I'm sure I'm going to damage him forever.  At least he'll have something to talk about in the therapist's office.

Mark

I'm not talking about the difference between LS2 and LS2.1. I am talking about the differences between goalie skates and player skates. You don't want goalie skates and player skates to feel similar when you are skating... if goalie skates felt similar to player skates it will significantly hinder goalie specific movements and the same will happen if you play out with skates that feel like goalie skates.